Wife has dropped bike 3 times!

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by 390beretta, Apr 21, 2013.

1. FotoTEX

FotoTEX Long timer

Oddometer:
    How many more times she will drop it until she gets hurt??? Some people are not meant for motorcycles. If she gets really hurt, how will you feel??
  2. Capt Crash

Capt Crash Motorcycle Bon Vivant

Oddometer:
    It's a risk reward calculation.
  3. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    Okay so that's a stall, but not necessarily a drop. Why was it a drop? That would make the bike lurch forward a little, not to the side. Yup, I've absent mindedly done something like that, it ws a lurch/stall but not a frop.

That's not actually a reflex, it's just the WRONG thing to do, and results in "I was afraid I was going to fall so I made sure I did". She should NOT attribute this to "reflex" but instead learn NOT to. 'Cuz that's a terrible "reflex" to have!

Best wishes to your wife on her continuing up the learning curve.
  4. Droptop50

Droptop50 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    She needs more experience. I rested my 8GS many times while riding off road. I didn't rest it at all last time out with a hell of a lots of sand. Time in the saddle IMHO.

BTW I'm glad to read a forum where the spelling of "breaks" and "brakes" are properly used in context... :clap

:hide
  5. HooliKen

HooliKen Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer:
    Feexed! :D
  6. dwoodward

dwoodward Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lets go with left hand- bike lurches forward- right hand still clamped on handlebar, so now bars are turned.
  7. Garbln

Garbln Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are two kinds of MC riders. The ones who admit dropping a bike at slow speeds and the ones who lie about it.
  8. txwanderer

txwanderer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And the ones that argue adnauseum about how this or that is the best way to prevent it.
    Most of the "solutions" are bad habits in themselves.

Cheers
  9. Aussijussi

Aussijussi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Her head must be spinning with all the 'advice' by now, *was i supposed to turn them bars this or that way, oh fricking hell, front or back brake, and what about the clutch, when do i let go of that, which effing lever was the clutch again, do i drag my feet or on the pegs straight away, why does the bike stop when i put my foot down on gear lever, come and take this thing away from me, and this was supposed to be fun:D:D
  10. shaddix

shaddix Banned

Oddometer:
    Sounds like my girlfriend a week ago
  11. redneckdan

redneckdan Hold my beer & watch this

Oddometer:
    My wife trashed both levers within 30 seconds the first time she got on her KLR250.

I pulled my spares out....those lasted about 10 minutes....

I ordered 4 new levers and a set of lever guards....problem solved. :lol3

She is learning but the going is slow. Part of it is she is still mastering the kick start.
  12. Capt Crash

Capt Crash Motorcycle Bon Vivant

Oddometer:
    I'm beginning to think that every new bike should come with a spare...lever or two...
  13. g®eg

g®eg world's fastest drone

Oddometer:
    that BRC (or whatever the local flavor of training is in your area) is looking pretty inexpensive at this point...

:deal
  14. AzItLies

AzItLies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That reminds me of this one chick that came to an ERC on her 250 sport bike style thing. Dropped the bike so many times we sent her home. The levers were so badly broken she could barely get 2 fingers on the front brake.

Many people go to the MVD (DMV) and pass the written test and get a permit. Then they ride around a bit and come to the less expensive ERC to get a card and endorsement. Probably more than half of them should be in the BRC.

Another ERC, a woman on her scooter, they were turning from where they were just stopped, single file, and getting in line to do the braking. She couldn't make the turn and t-boned a guy sitting in line. Both ended up on the ground. Smashed bikes.

Could probably write a book on just the crashes I've seen.

Cheers
  15. g®eg

g®eg world's fastest drone

Oddometer:
    we get some of those as well.

the office usually asks if they really are "experienced" because the difference in price (here) is $110 between an ERC & a BRC. its usually pointed out that "one drop of your bike is probably more that $110 worth of damage". quite a few "experienced" riders all of a sudden decide maybe a BRC is a better value :D