2014 KTM Adventure 1190 Thread

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by harryzgnilek, Dec 3, 2013.

1. PS-RagE

PS-RagE Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is no way you are going to push start a 1200cc bike. You let out the clutch and that tire stops rolling.
  2. Tjeu

Tjeu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think its just the kind of batterie. You have wet ones, dry ones and gel ones if i'm not mistaking.

The gel-ones lose power when it's cold. Take an oldfashion wet one, with acid in it with the same specs, and the problem will be solved. But, an acid one weights more and is bigger...
  3. HIgh Water

HIgh Water Waisting Time

Oddometer:
    Well done Kurt. Clutch cover protection and everything. Nice!
    It's what we expect from you!
  4. Master

Master Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In my 2013 R, the dealer told me he replaced some modules because they were drawing too much power when starting. He said this was an official KTM recall, but maybe not so for US?
  5. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    sounds like you need a smart charger, on my 690 on cold mornings i had to pull the headlight fuse just to give the starter enough and even then i only got a couple shots at it
  6. FootLB

FootLB Banned

Oddometer:
    Links to any info on this cold start problem? This is the first I am hearing about it.:huh
  7. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats Kurt....

We all will benefit from you having this bike....:deal...

I have the Karoo 3 sitting waiting to be mounted....look forward to your report...
  8. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    you need a little hill....3rd gear and voila....:deal....ask me how I know....hahahaha....damn GS's.....:lol3
  9. aspaldo

aspaldo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have not experienced any cold start issues. I've had by bike since 16 December and put a bit over 1,000 miles on it. The coldest I've started it was around 17* F. It's a bit fussy at that temperature, but I just chalk it up to being a big twin.
  10. ViperJustin

ViperJustin Retired HH60G Gunner

Oddometer:
    I've tested the Stelvio NTX, Super Tenere, GSW, GSA, and Ducati MTS1200. I wrote reviews (just my humble opinions) for each. And in my results thus far, the S10 was on top of the list.

Until today....

Holy mother of batman!!!!! The 1190 AR is a fucking beast!!!!! It has the power of the MTS, better feeling suspension than the S10, and lighter feeling than all but the MTS. I've always loved the GSA because as a 6'5" rider, I fit beautifully on it. I like the boxer engine, and the shaft drive, etc. The issue I have with the GSA (any BMW at this point) is their questionable reliability. Yes, most are probably rock solid, but the new gsw seems to be plagued with issues. That's why I started looking at other bikes.

Long story short, the superior reliability of the Super Tenere used to top the list. But it doesn't get the juices flowing like the KTM 1190AR.

Wow!!!! Just wow!!!! Being 6'5", the seat to peg measurement was a bit cramped, but not too bad. I imagine there are (or will be) peg lowering kits for it. The bars were also a bit low. Easy fix though. I love the fact that the tires are tubeless (ONLY my opinion). There was heat coming out from under the left side of the seat. But I didn't really notice it at speeds over 35. Can someone comment on whether that is only an issue when riding slow or parked? Being in Las Vegas, the heat can be an issue here. Handling was great. Acceleration was RIDICULOUS!!!! Gear changes were fluid, but I did get a missed gear between 4th and 5th. BUT, it's still better than my BMW. Wind protection was really good from my waste down. From my chest up, it felt similar to my MegaMoto, which I'm fine with. In other words, wind management was pretty good. No buffeting like the standard GSW or Duc.

Wow! It's an amazing machine. Oil changes and general maintainence seems like it would be relatively straight forward.

I'm impressed. The ktm is sitting on top, closely followed by the S10 and farther back, the Stelvio NTX.
  11. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:
    hmm.. I did it on my 990, my CBR1000 and helped countless other s with 1400+cc Harleys?
  12. aspaldo

aspaldo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agree, it worked with my FJR...after getting it pointed downhill. :lol3
  13. PS-RagE

PS-RagE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well maybe if you are on pavement. I've tried on my 950 and it was laughable. Even if you just stall and release the clutch to fire it back up again you are more likely to skid to a halt, I've found.:rofl
  14. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    And the suns love got the bike to start :)
  15. Black Hills

Black Hills Long timer

Oddometer:

lots of speed, high gear and a perfectly timed seat bump would start the 990 some of the time, but it had to be hardpack. sounds like the slipper clutch makes it impossible on the 1190?
  16. Dearnla

Dearnla Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a friend who is 6'5" - he too has a stelvio.

Seat height can be adjusted upwards to make the seat/peg relationship better. Add the Ergo seat and that raises you another 1". Handlebar raisers can be had from KTM or others. Heat issue is helped by undersea foil but a small piece of something (I used plastic card) zip tied to the frame down tubes from the seat down a few inches stops your legs roasting.

Don't understand the missed gear - this is the first bike I've owned in years that doesn't miss a gear.

I think you found no wind buffeting because your head is out of the buffet zone. Either that or you test rode the R model:lol3
  17. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
    Any intention in making a version that doesn't require crashbars for mounting?
  18. Todd-Squad

Todd-Squad See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer:
    I have a 2014 1190 R. So far, knock on wood, I have not had any errors, warnings, or difficulty starting down to 29 degrees F.
  19. GearedUp

GearedUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 10w50 oil KTM recomends is only for above 0C / 32F. they recomend 5w40 for temps below that. Wonder if this has something to do with the cold start issue?

20. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    I did change the oil at the 600 mile do hicky with motul 15-50 the day before. The multi used the same oil with no problems