Yamaha Xt660 Imports

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tsavo sam, Oct 7, 2009.

1. tsavo sam

tsavo sam rider of the blue gnu

Oddometer:
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have read a few forums with mentions of the Yamaha xt660 Tenere

http://www.yamaha-motor-europe.com/products/motorcycles/adventure/xt660z.jsp?view=overview

and a few of you have said you would like to see it imported into the U.S. For the past few days (Oct 5th - 7th) I have been in contact with Yamaha Motor - Corp U.S.A. and have been informed that we can make a difference in what bikes will be released into the U.S. in 2011. What I would like is anyone who is interested in the bike contact Yamaha and inform them of your wants and desires. The more of you who do it the more likely we will see it in the 2011 line up. But unlike death and taxes there are is no guarantee. So let the letters and phone calls fly and here's to getting corp. America to listen to our wants.
    Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA
    Custormer Relations
    655 Katella ave
    Cypress, CA 90630

Or call

Thanks for your time
    Tsavo Sam
  2. rickf

rickf oldfatguyMAN

Oddometer:
    I rode with both the Director of Marketing and the Director of Advertising of Yamaha USA a couple of weeks ago. They are aware of the great interest in the Tenere and have it on the short list, having said that they also said there's not much money for R&D these days but they could see it happening eventually.
  3. tsavo sam

Oddometer:
    that is great news, hell there doesnt need to be any r&d the bike is already out there and running strong. figure the more there here from the troops and the more they understand there is a market for the bike the more likely they will release it in the U.S.
  4. John Ashman

John Ashman Adventurer Wannabe

Oddometer:
    There's also an XT660 from Brazil that is more like a regular D/P bike.

I'd be interested in either.
  5. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Well, they need to do some research to figure out how to get it past our awesome emissions Nazis that will, no doubt, make it run less strong.

:clap
  6. rickf

rickf oldfatguyMAN

Oddometer:
    This is what's not understood out there, there is R&D on any new vehicle sold in the U.S., just not in the way we all may understand it.

1) Compliance to DOT standards
    2) Compliance to Emissions standards
    3) Marketing materials and training
    4) Spare parts requirements and stocking levels
    5) Service materials and training
    6) Factory additional production capacity

etc., etc., etc.
  7. tsavo sam

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected. Still it is worth a shot.

8. rickf

rickf oldfatguyMAN

Oddometer:
    True enough, believe me both of these guys want to see the Tenere here.
  9. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    You can buy the bike in both Europe and Australia, both of which have stricter emission standards AFAIK.
  10. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    Most of us that are interested in this motorcycle have already done this numerous times! When I called Yamaha, they told me they were compiling a list of potential buyers. I'm on the list and the first in line at my local dealership to get one.

Honestly, enough time has passed that I'd rather see the XT750Z Super Ténéré with a parallel-twin engine in it now. Yamaha, bring the Super Ténéré to the US and I'll buy! :wink:

SamM
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    which is good in the sense the bike (for the most part. there can be signal/lighting differences) has the equipment and is tuned to be compliant.

however nothing is that easy with our government. it still needs to go through all the testing & paperwork and such and that takes time and $$$.

seems most modern bikes these days are designed for a global stand point in that they are FI and can be adapted to any market.

stocking parts & sales materials is probably the biggest expense with the whole process.
  12. rickf

rickf oldfatguyMAN

Oddometer:
    The EU isn't any better!
    I'd love to see 'rationalization' between at least the EU and the US, most others would fall in line after that. Fat chance.

Parts, Training and Marketing are the big costs but Certification runs a close second.

Believe it or don't, they were talking about crash testing for motorcycles awhile back............in rare form, common sense prevailed.