Super Sherpa thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by AZstrommer, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Turborob

Turborob .

Oddometer:
    <o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Ladies and gents.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Put on some new footpegs over the last couple of nights.
    Don’t worry; it won’t take you that long, I just haven’t had the opportunity for much shed time this week. :(:

Firstly, when I rode the Sherpa (now forth will be called the ‘Derpa’) I noticed how incywincy the footpegs were compared to other steeds. Something had to be done – change was in the air…..:pynd
    Had some cheap pegs lying around – thought I would try them…….:ilmostro
    Welcome to – how to get big sexy pegs! :toney
    Pull off stock pegs (pull out split pin and take out bolt). :thumbup

The pegs I made fit were for a TW200. They are slightly too big to slide right in as it. A (very) quick file of the outside of the pegs and inside of the footpeg mounts on the bike and they can squeeze in. If you have a vice, or a sander you could sand them more and use the spring again. I don’t like my pegs moving. :johntm

[​IMG]
    Also, the TW pegs will have to be drilled larger! I used a 10mm drill bit which was about perfect. Again, much easier if you have a vice and don’t have the pegs suddenly spinning in your hand when the drill bites……:eek1
    [​IMG]
    So, you’ve drilled out the hole; done 4 seconds of sanding/filing – time to replace! You now have a bigger footpeg! Those little split pins are a PITA, change to something else if you wish; I found a wind up window clip used to hold the winder on manual window cars and it’s much better. <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Split</st1:place></st1:city> pins for the rear axel will be too big.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now, have a drink and repeat on the other side! :jkam
    [​IMG]
    Now that you’re done, you’ll have BIG SEXY PEGS! :killen

[​IMG]
    HOLY SHIT! MY TUFF BOOTS JUST SUDDENLY CHANGED INTO HEELS! LOOKOUT – SEXY DERPA TIME! :queenie
  2. dukejapan

dukejapan n00b

Oddometer:

So I took the kill switch apart and jump-wired the contacts, still nothing! when it worked after the first start up, it fired right up ever after. Until now, so I agree there is no obvious damage from the wreck. All of the other electrical systems seem to be working OK, ie lights, signals, instruments.

Q: When will the bike turn over with no spark? I know when the kill switch is in OFF, but how about the clutch or side stand.

Q: Do I need to use a continuity tester to check all the wires?
  3. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    I rode my recently acquired Sherpa to this event a couple of weeks ago. The KL250 performed quite well over the 740 mile trek and convinced me I made a good move in getting one.
    One fellow at the meet rode his SS from Kansas. His RT mileage was over 2400 miles.:clap
    Enjoy the pics here....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13116961#post13116961
  4. Super Suz

Super Suz N00b with B00b

Oddometer:
    Looking for the following:

handlebar risers that actually fit and require no extra work. That should be easy to find.

better handlebars that require no extra work than to change it out. This should be easy, right?

elevated after market fender that is the KLR army green. I found one on the net for 78ish bucks but now I can't find it again.

hand guards that don't require any cable extension. I'd prefer the ones that have the "U" shape on the sides since they are found to be safer for a crash.

Forget the bigger gas tank. Seems like there isn't one without welding or modifications. So I'm stiking to a gas can strapped to the back of the bike or gas jug pannier.

Any links would be appreciated.

Thanks, Super Suz
  5. GsVs

GsVs Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer:
    TUSK ...
    Fit great and easy to install - no cutting of the levers is required.

[​IMG]

Check out the following post earlier in this thread ...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11569669&postcount=485

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11570249&postcount=487

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12460855&postcount=688
  6. eepeqez

eepeqez Long timer

Oddometer:
    No welding.
    No modifications. (well, a new tank is a modification)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256909
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12562144&postcount=10
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12562281&postcount=11

The only mutilation of original parts is holes in the concealed (and cheap, replaceable) rubber mounts:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. kingbee

kingbee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The KLR 250 fender is the one you want. Get it here: http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Brand/Kawasaki/Sherpa/Super%20Sherpa%20High%20Fender.htm

Or from Bike Bandit or wherever you get OEM parts. I believe 2000 through 2003 were the years the fender was "army green", but verify that before you order.

Why not skip the bar risers, and just get taller bars? A "CR High" bend will be taller than stock; you may not be able to go much more without messing with the cables.

Cheers,
    Dave
  8. Super Suz

Super Suz N00b with B00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much, guys.

I have a handlebar and bark busters on order.
    I also have a new part on order too. I'll take pics of the damage that a little rock did when it got stuck in between the little sproket and the stem that comes out from the engine. Tore up the rubber and silicone seals in there and all the oil dripped out.

I hope to post a sweet milk crate "givi" that the local Super Sherpa Wiz did to his bike. He replaced the storage frame with a wood panel base and then locked down a nice milk crate to the back. On the crate, he attached two bike panniers with nuts and bolts on either side of the outside of the milk crate. He uses one side for a tent and the other for a sleeping bag. I think I'm going to try to replicate it.

Maybe I can do that tank replacement. It would be nice to get more miles before gas. I almost ran out on the way home from the llocal shop last weekend. Had to put her on reserve. :D
    Again, thanks!

Suz
  9. eepeqez

eepeqez Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know that the reserve in the standard Sherpa tank is 1/3 of the total capacity? If you've done 100 miles when you hit reserve, you've got another 50 miles to go.
  10. Andrew S

Andrew S Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My wife is now the proud owner of a 2000 Super Sherpa, complete with blown rear shock. :bluduh Great bike, but right now it is like riding a pogo stick since there is absolutely no rear dampening.

Any one have a rear shock collecting dust that you would like to sell? Thanks for any help, and enjoy the weekend.
  11. kingbee

kingbee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Andrew,
    Replied to your post on the Yahoo group also- The rear shock can be rebuilt. Any good motorcycle shop should be able to do it. Lots cheaper than a new shock, and who knows how long a used one will last?

Had mine rebuilt at least 4 years ago, still going strong.

Cheers,
    Dave
  12. waipuna

waipuna Backroad Scratcher

Oddometer:
    Do,es anyone know if any alternative shock fits.:huh
    You may find something cheap,on ebay.:rolleyes
  13. tomatoe333

tomatoe333 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check with inmate Sasquatch here on ADVRider. Chances are he can rebuild it for you, maybe even better than stock.
  14. Andrew S

Andrew S Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip tomatoe333. I sent a PM to Sasquatch, we'll see what happens.
  15. MagyarMan

MagyarMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi ya folks,

I've got a lead on a 2009 super sherpa , new . My question is will we fit together or is this a relationship not suited to me? I'm 6'2" tall , 220 lbs. with a 34" inseam. Just wan t to do rides 100 to 400 miles per day on back roads. What think Ye ??????
  16. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    I think there are probably other bikes out there better suited to your size. The Sherpa is a great do anything bike for shorter riders, & great fun for anybody for short range stuff & learning some dirt skillz. For someone 6'2" however something taller like the KLX250 or WR250R would be a much better fit no matter what type of riding you are doing (If it's a 250 you are after).

Cheers
    Clint
  17. mike21b

mike21b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have ever taken a ride on a Yamaha XT-225/250 or a Suzuki DR200?

They feel about the same, sitting on them.

From the Yahoo Groups Sherpa list, I know plenty of tall guys who have Sherpas and are happy with them. I also know a few tall guys who would rather be on a taller bike like the KLX-250 or WR-250
  18. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    I'm really enjoying my Sherpa, but...
    I agree with the above opinions. I am 5'11" and the knees feel a bit more folded up than when on my DR350 and KLR250. Not that bad, but if I had as long of legs as yours it might feel a bit cramped. Taking measurements from the top of the seat and the pegs might help comparing..
  19. MagyarMan

MagyarMan Long timer

Oddometer:
    mike21b,clintnz,driller, Thanks for your input. I guess I'm a bit too tall for the super sherpa,but I'm going to see it tomorrow and sit on it just to see if I can live with it. Thanks again.

MagyarMan
  20. Flashman1

Flashman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any one use No-toil oil on the SS air cleaner??