Rallye Gear Boxes

Discussion in 'Racing' started by canadaler, Feb 4, 2009.

1. canadaler

canadaler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to confirm this...but it appears that we may have to supply our own boxes for the support truck to carry in the Tuareg.

They specifically require a box made by a company named "Pierre Henry" which is 35 x 80 x 45cm.

Someone was good enough to send me a German source for these, but I'm having no luck at all finding these boxes or even the manufacturer in North America. Apparently they are a company which makes file folder and office equipment boxes in Europe...I was hoping to find a North American distributor for them...but so far I'm drawing a blank.

Between the two of us going we're looking for 4 boxes. Can anybody supply a lead on them here in North America?
  2. Robb Mc

Robb Mc what?

Oddometer:
    I don't know... But I bet Patsy Quick does. Contact her through desertroseracing.com. She's based in UK, but I'm sure she can help.
  3. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    Oh you mean the regulation box that you get to put your stuff in? I was imagining the gear box that goes between your wheels and your engine.
  4. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    This "Rally box" is a pretty standard steel box, available in many home improvement stores (at least over here), but most of the time it isn't advertised as a "Pierre Henry". I think the Dakar boxes are the same models, maybe larger. So you might want to try some local retailers and look for boxes stamped with that brand name somewhere.
  5. canadaler

Oddometer:
    I don't ever recall ever seeing a steel storage box anything like this in any store or supplier I've ever been in here. We only get Chinese plastic stuff now:eek1

Robb...thanks for the tip, I already have a couple of UK contacts that I can use to pick up something there as a last resort. My first choice would be to source them here in N.A.
  6. BAZZER450

BAZZER450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the regulation boxes are only made in france by that company ... although you can use what ever as long as the dimensions are the same i would guess .. they are the same boxes you see in dakar picts ...pricy to get here i would think . Patsy gets hers from them and they are hard to come by unless you go direct to france
  7. HogWild

HogWild Skott Whitknee

Oddometer:
    Not sure if they would allow a different box, but here's a really fancy and rugged one I've used for supplies in the support truck. The dimensions are very close to what you listed. The problem with these boxes for supplies is that they are too big. When you fill them up with supplies they become too heavy for one person to move around.
    http://store.colemans.com/cart/medical-transport-chest-us-gi-aluminum-used-p-1280.html

[​IMG]

The real ones, from Dakar:
    [​IMG]
  8. wonky

wonky TETETETETETETETET

Oddometer:
    you could also speak to dave lambeth (http://www.davidlambeth.co.uk/) who does support on that rally and is the english rep, you probably know him already...
    Maybe he can help

chris
  9. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sent my stuff in a regulare bag and once there I rented a box via the organisation ofthe rally. Lock them and put anything delicate..in the middle, they do get walk on and thrown of the truck....when you are not looking
  10. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    If the box just has to meet those dimensions, look at pickup truck locking cargo boxes & underbed locking boxes, I recall seeing aluminum ones that come in 100's of different configurations.
  11. canadaler

Oddometer:
    Hey Ruffus...thanks, but unfortunately the organizer stipulates that only this specific "Pierre Henry" box will be accepted.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. :clap I think it's pretty clear that these boxes are just not available in North America, but you guys and others have provided enough leads for me that we'll figure it out and get-r-done.
  12. disodbediente

disodbediente Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. motrhed

motrhed Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. PPiA

PPiA Pete

Oddometer:
  15. disodbediente

disodbediente Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
  17. disodbediente

disodbediente Adventurer

Oddometer:
    AAAArgh.

Email doesn't exist anymore :(

Really hard to find this case in Italy
  18. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. disodbediente

disodbediente Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hornbach sell them in Holland too, cannot get them online though, if you really really need a few let me know.. Shipping might be expensive because of the volume..