Oklahoma City Metro Thread

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by Dadayama, Apr 25, 2012.

1. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    looks like a great trip. you rock Shov3BR
  2. woodzrider

woodzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice one Shov! This is one of several trips on my bucket list...........
  3. Dadayama

Dadayama Constant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don't know how many of the city folks are keeping up with the Oklahoma Adventure Trail thread, but Kiltedcrawford just posted a report on the south/west section that is very interesting...

LINK CLICK HERE
  4. Dadayama

Oddometer:
    Anyone heard from Shov3BR? His spot hasn't been updated since the 16th.

Wonder were the guy is now? hope all is well...
  5. mrdirtbikerider

mrdirtbikerider Russ Martin

Oddometer:
    I called Shov3BR and no answer.
    His spot was last updated at the Peel River.
    Hope all is well.
  6. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    Just a reminder about three big factors in motorcycle disasters; fatigue, heat and dehydration. The motorcycle community lost another legend and her funeral is today. She lost her life on another long trip near the Barbor Motorsports Complex in Alabama. She is legend in the Iron Butt community, you can read some about her here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898572
    I have made several long distance trips with her over the years when she was in her 70's. She looked pretty rough in the mornings, when we got on our bikes but as the day progressed she would sit up straighter and look more refreshed, I was just the reverse.
    Her loss a few weeks ago really reminded me of how we push ourselves too far too often. That is why I am very observant about my reaction time and mental state as these big three wear on thru the day. I also spent a few months researching these same types of issues when I worked for the Air Force and these issues tend to raise their ugly head in an insidious way affecting reaction time and judgement.

Ardys Kellerman was part of our extended family when we lived in Austin Texas and a frequent visitor to our home in Idaho. We already miss her.
  7. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    Got back to the States yesterday and your voicemail was waiting for me. Thanks for checking!

The Dempster took it's toll last Wednesday (or was it Tuesday) with 5 riders down including me and only two getting back to Dawson City unscathed. All riders are OK including one who hit a car head on. Lots of scrapes, cuts and world class bruised but otherwise OK.

The big issue was getting broken bikes back to civilization. I augered in just south of Fort McPherson and getting back was an adventure that rivals any I've had in my lifetime. I'll try to relate it in some detail when I get home later this week.

Thanks again for checking on my whereabouts.
    Cheers,
    Shov
  8. woodzrider

woodzrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    WoW Shov! Glad you guys are OK! Can't wait to hear all the
    details! :ear
  9. RogerWilco

RogerWilco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shov, I hope you didn't lose another chunk of your shoulder!!
  10. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    I managed to land on the same side so the right wing is still good. Added some elbow damage but nothing that won't heal in a week or two. One world class bruise from mid forearm to shoulder. Decorative to say the least.:rofl
    BTW - got home today so all is good. Now to get parts ordered for the Purple Goose so it is ready to take to the KTM Rally in September.
    Cheers,
    Shov
  11. Dadayama

Oddometer:
    Well, i'm glad you're alright then!

I'm riding right by that KTM rally this September, one of the crew i'm riding with is going to the rally, he plans to peel off of the COBDR to attend.

We should get the metro folks together again next week sometime, somewhere...
  12. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    I'm in :clap Just name the place & time.
    -Shov
  13. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    You are starting to make me question my decision to ride with you guys? I hope you are OK. Something happens on every one of these outings. I guess it is no secret that it says on my resume that, I do not ride well with others?

I have made my first step into the OKC area. I am working out of a non descriptive location in Nichols Hills Plaza on a TV pilot.
    [​IMG]
    With the appropriate two black Lexus in front every day. We are right next to Coolgreens. Any of you are welcome to drop by as I will be looking for any reason possible to take a coffee break and will be here as little as possible.
    cheers.
    JM
  14. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    No worries here. Today is my 72nd birthday and time to give up the dirt riding. I just don't have the reaction time to deal with stuff like the Dempster gravel traps and mud.
    I don't feel bad about augering in up there. Four other guys, all a lot younger than me splattered that day.
    There's still a lot of this continent to explore without getting gnarly. I'm glad I made it to the Arctic Circle and Inuvik, I would highly recommend the ride to anyone.
    -Shov
  15. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    Great, lets take an enjoyable ride sometime where we don't have to eat dust, crash and suffer heat exhaustion.
  16. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm missing something here, what would be the enjoyable part of that ride? :huh

17. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    you are hopeless!
  18. gmsnowball

gmsnowball Black Bear Pass

Oddometer:
    Oklahoma Some Where, just east of spoobooty
    I'm with you Wild Bill:freaky
  19. mars

mars Starbucks anyone?

Oddometer:
    You are with Wild Bill right now, what are you guys up too? Does Wild Bill even know you are there?
  20. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I knew you were there, after all, you're hopeless too. :evil :freaky