Bicycles on the road

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ThatOtherGuy, Oct 12, 2011.

1. bumblebee1

bumblebee1 All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer:
    Are you the only one who didn't get this?
    Here's a little help:

<TABLE id=entries><TBODY><TR><TD class=word>sarcasm </TD><TD class=tools id=tools_597255></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD class=text id=entry_597255 colSpan=2>A tongue of which the user speaks of something the complete opposite of what the user means.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  2. rgoers

rgoers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since I have yet to see a single bicyclist that actually follows the laws while road-riding :norton; I'd be inclined to say "get as close as you can, and try to knock them over into the ditch, trees, guard-rail, whatever..." The fewer of these asses on the road, the better! :wink:
  3. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    A couple of days ago, I saw one nearly cause a wreck as traffic piled up behind him and cars were getting edgey tying to get around. The fucked up part is that this dim-wit was riding in the road parrallel to a very nice bike path that the taxpayers had provided for him. :baldy

I seriously am going to just drive behind the next one of these idiots forever (or until HE pulls into the bike lane).
  4. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    we have to get to work on time.

you gotta hustle when the rest of the world is riding on your economic coat tails. :deal

:D
  5. Tall Man

Tall Man Oh, by the way, which one's Pink?

Oddometer:
    How was that Cummins driver able to dump smoke on demand?
  6. KneeDrachen

KneeDrachen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most of the advice is good but it doesn't apply to hipsters on fixies. They're free game.
  7. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think he just shifted to a higher gear than was needed for the grade and it lugged the engine. I'm guessing the engine wasn't in great shape either...
  8. LittleRedToyota

LittleRedToyota Yinzer

Oddometer:
    why do so many people think it is OK to inconvenience many others to satisfy their individual desires?

probably from the same place that gives rise to the inflated sense of self worth it takes to think, for example, it is OK to repeatedly skip to the front of the line at stop lights (even if it means riding on the sidewalk to get there) and then (after the light turns green and the 100 foot head start you got by running the red light is used up) hold up the whole line of cars you just illegally passed as you are moving at half the speed limit on a street that is narrow to begin with and has cars parked on both sides (making it impossible to safely pass a bicycle without going into the other lane which is not possible since there is always traffic coming the other way).
    novaks47 likes this.
  9. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    I speculate that for the asshats that think they are road warriors in their vehicles are a lot like the internet tough guys who spew shit because any returning negative consequences of their words or actions are far removed. So rage out in your car shout shit at another driver, rider, cyclist and when you're done drive on. Some people as evidenced on here and by statements get angry and emotion influences behaviour. Real shitty mix when you're in control of a vehicle that is a potential weapon. Would you give a guy who is throwing a fit in a bar or office or on the street a gun? Probably not. So if you can control yourself and see consequences as a logical result of your lack of control then pull over take a little breather and come down out of the red zone before you kill some one or get your teeth knocked out for being a fucktard and putting others at risk.

I had a guy almost run me down in a cross walk while walking my bike across, I flipped him off he spins around and starts running his mouth. I ignored him until he try to block me in against the curb and I go around and he lurches the car forward and almost takes me out. Threw the bike down and called him out. I'm sure after he had his nose set and teeth fixed he thought good and long about the logic of putting others at risk, scaring his poor GF who had to see him get fucked up and taking on a guy who is riding a mtn bike in the winter..it suggest some level of either commitment, physical capability or even mental state, given how shitty out winters are.

As far as cyclist doing stupid and ignorant things on the road well a little spike in testosterone brought about by physical effort shouldn't replace common sense. Being a tough guy while looking up at an oil pan of a moving car is hard to pull off.
  10. kpt4321

kpt4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You, and anybody who thinks this is funny and not offensive, are pricks. Screw you.

Signed, a guy who rides 2-wheeled vehicles.
  11. filmfan

filmfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I ride near the edge whenever it's feasible, often it isn't because of pavement cracks, holes, glass, metal and all the other chit that accumulates. Many of the hazards are completely invisible to motorized traffic, either because they're too fast or it's no consequence for them. Things are different with 1 inch wide tires and 2 square inches of contact patch.

I also signal and stop for red lights. Yeah, there are many that don't and I find it as frustrating as anyone else here.

Lots of folks riding motos or driving cars don't always do the stuff they're supposed to in traffic either.
  12. Schmeds

Schmeds supportive

Oddometer:
  13. EastSideSM

EastSideSM Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer:
    Well said. Too many people think they are the only folks that matter and whatever they are doing is much more important than anyone else around them. I see this everyday on my commute.
  14. NC Scott

NC Scott MOmymamamamaMOmymama

Oddometer:
    I wasn't there so I leave it to the court. What I do know, is the road is straight and flat for a mile or more on the stretch where Dr. Burke was hit.
    Further up the road, it is curvy, though I wouldn't classify it as narrow.

The "idea" I was referring to was what I quoted, not splitting between them. Passing closely to scare cyclists may result in passing closer than intended. Then you get charged with vehicular homicide. And an Army veteran with an eight-month old daughter dies.

As for the Attorney General. My understanding is Dr. Burke has a relative that is an attorney. Not the Attorney General.

I don't ride in groups because I agree with you. They are dangerous. My last group ride was with about 40 people and we were on narrow curvy roads. It was not a good situation.
    O.C.F.RIDER likes this.
  15. ph0rk

ph0rk Doesn't Care

Oddometer:
    You are a relatively rare cyclist, as the idiots that ride side by side on 55 mph roads with blind curves here are demonstrate.
  16. La Machine

La Machine 2>4

Oddometer:
    Bottom line, there are dumbasses in cars, motorcycles, and bicycles. Thing is, this is a motorcycle forum, so we have to hear from our own dumbasses every time this stupid topic comes up.
  17. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    We probably aren't that far apart in our thinking on this subject.

Chris
  18. FlySniper

FlySniper Bleh...

Oddometer:

Or just do like I did and call the law. I rolled back through a little after I stopped and called.... Two Tennessee Highway Patrol units had the whole gang off on the side of the road.:lol3

I don't mind people riding bicycles on the street, but they do need to be aware that they DO NOT have the same rights as a motor vehicle due to their limited speed. When they are being idiots, in the wrong lane and/or needlessly blocking traffic, they need to be safely taken off the road.
    novaks47 likes this.
  19. FlySniper

FlySniper Bleh...

Oddometer:

You missed the important part.. in orange.

I asked a THP officer about it, what I relayed was basically what she told me. Apparently cops don't like responding to "flattened bicyclist" calls...:evil
  20. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    that many have forgotten: The reason you have nice paved roads to drive on is because of the bicyclists. Back in the day before roads were paved they were regular mudholes in the wet season and unbearably dusty in the dry. The cars of the time were forever getting stuck or eating dust. It was as bad or worse for the bicyclists. At the time the Penny Farthling was the hot ride and it is nothing fun to fall off of. Still the country was gripped in a bicycling craze. So the LAW (leauge of American Wheelman) lobbied hard for paved roads. And it came to pass that the roads were paved. The cars benefited along with everyone else.

http://www.bikeleague.org/about/history.php

For myself, when riding in the country I usually ride far right for the first 75-80 miles then switch to riding on the right hand paint stripe (the smoothest pavement) I slide to far right if traffic approaches and resume the stripe when they pass. Traffic jammin' in the city I only follow one rule: Survive. Anything and everything goes. Any surface I can get a tire on is fair game, doing anything at an intersection but turning right or going strait through is dumb. Sidewalks, lawns, steps, ramps and fields are fair game. Fences are for hopping over if it's a decent shortcut or avoids dangerous road. Ditto damn near anything else. The law is designed for the cars and following most of it is very stupid and usually dangerous. Wear lots of hi-viz, pretend you're invisible and don't let 'em get near ya. Wear one of those totally obvious concealed weapon fanny packs and stuff it with granola bars so it sags menacingly. The more psychotic you look the less they screw with you. Survive.