New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. fluff34567

fluff34567 Long timer

Oddometer:

yep cheers.. i read the destructions :deal

ordered the lever 3 days ago, it arrived at my friends in NY this morning and I should have it in my grubby hands in zurich tomorrow morning....
  2. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone interested in freeing up seized/rusted bolts etc. may like to use the tried and trusted 50/50 mix of Acetone and power steering/auto box fluid (TQF etc.). Hell of a lot cheaper than that Kroil stuff:wink:
  3. motoged

motoged Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh.....look Mom....a Pirate Pig:

[​IMG]
  4. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    Looks like Gary Busey
  5. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Has anybody made up a lexan rock guard for their headlight?
    I run them on my RFS bikes with the super 3M-Lock to hold in place.

I have the TT flat version with brackets on my 950A. Not impressed with that design.
    I have the 2008 headlight. I was thinking of cutting out a piece to fit and heat bending the center crease. Anybody already done that? Happy with the results?
  6. JustBob

JustBob Uh...who me? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I contacted both parties and both were very helpful. Looks like I need to send this unit, which is for a 2011 and not a 2010, and have it reprogrammed. Mike in California can do it for $200 plus shipping so I'll do that when I can. Thanks for the tip!
  7. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yikes, $200? Maybe it was cheaper for me because I bought the unit. Anyway once you get that done hopefully your fuel mileage will improve. Hmmm. I am wondering if there is any difference between a 2009 and 2010? Probably not. I was wondering because this month Richard sent Mike a custom map set for me which had an economy map included so I guess Mike still has that file. My bike is a 2009. You might ask them about that. I have not tested the economy map so have no idea the mileage it gives.
  8. JustBob

Oddometer:
    Yes, I was kinda surprised by the cost, but Richard wants 200 Australian and then the shipping is quite a bit more. This unit came with the bike when I bought it so I didn't know what I had until I told Richard the full nomenclature and he knew right away what it is. So, I suspect there are differences year to year, open vs closed air box, Motard vs Enduro. Anyway, in the meantime I'm gonna try riding it with the X10 set to 2-2-2 and see if there's a difference and then send it to Mike when I can. Thanks for your help.
  9. motoged

motoged Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I have a Cyclops 7" H4 on my 690....a fellow 690 guy in Marysville WA does as well and he has reportedly fabbed a lexan cover....I can't divulge his name at this time as he has promised me one, and if I tell this list that Uller has made this promise, he will be flooded with more scroungers looking for free deals (I might have to trade him something for his work)....

So ....I haven't seen the product yet but he knows what he is doing and I am looking forward to the smokin' deal.... :D
  10. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer:
    I guess I should clarify- I have the 2008 headlight & mask. That has the raised center.

Doing a flat round or rectangle isn't tough. Made all mine for the RFS bikes.
  11. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

pretty sure he already passed that tree
  12. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    He'd make a good goldfish ...
  13. fluff34567

fluff34567 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got my cleanspeedeng.com brake lever.

From Arizona to Switzerland in 2.5 days :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now a trip to the anodising shop for some bling :D

sent using my fingers and voodoo magic.
  14. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    You’re quite possibly the first person to have had a piece of crafted metalwork imported into Switzerland from Arizona ...
  15. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    What map are you actually using. Usually the 1st 5 loaded are for open airbox and the last 5 for standard airbox. I'm not sure that even going 222 for an open a/b map will make it lean enough for use with a closed airbox.
  16. JustBob

Oddometer:
    What's an "open airbox"? Does it have a filter? My bike has the stock cover with inch holes drilled in the top and foam filters.

Anyway, this Vortex unit is for "Motard/Enduro-Open Airbox" with a raised rev limit to 8700rpm. It came set to X10 #1 which is a Power Map. I've tried one of the Traction/Endouro Maps and like the initial throttle but don't like the over-all power characteristics. Seems to run out of steam too soon. So I'll try various Power Maps and see how I like the ride. I'm looking for good spin the tire power with soft initial throttle.

Should I get one of those open airboxs? What do they look like? I'm not gonna go without an air filter.

Maybe I need to just send this to Mike Tolle and have it made right, but to be able to ride the bike that means re-installing the stock ECU and if I do that I have to mess with the Throttle Stop and Idle Speed Adjustment?
  17. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Older Vortex ECUs had either open air box or closed air box maps, not 5 of each.

Open airbox usually does not have the lid and has either a foam or pleated style filter. There is still a filter but much less restriction to air flow.

Closed airbox is the stocker. I run closed air box with foam filters. I kept closed airbox because I do a lot of wet off road riding so need the water protection.

Rally Raid open airbox filter setup:
    http://www.ktmtwins.com/rally-raid-ktm-690-filter-kit
  18. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    I would suggests trying map 0 (std OEM map) first before sending it away. Trim to 555. If it's still rich, then something else is wrong. If it works OK, but is lean (as its meant to do with the standard map and holes in the cover), just trim to 666 or 777 and ride it for a while. I would personally duct tape over the holes for this test.
  19. Bill the Bong

Bill the Bong Supern00ba

Oddometer:
    It will idle slightly high with the throttle stop correctly set for the Vortex when the OEM stuff is back in. This might actually cure the stalling that people are complaining about..
  20. JustBob

Oddometer:
    OK...good info from all. I'll try the 0-555 and see how it goes. Can't believe I didn't think of that. :D