RTW with Noah on a KTM 690

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by RoninMoto, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    Noah - so sorry to hear about this man!

FWIW I'd probably lean towards the advice here than the local police... it's not that their stupid it's just their agenda is different. I'm betting their thinking a.) it doesn't make them look good and/or b.) you might be get hurt looking for it.
    As that is a possibility we should post something up in the regional forum to have some help with ya on the search. Of course I wouldn't burn any bridges with the police as you never know where the help will come from.
  2. The First Heretic

The First Heretic .

Oddometer:
    Oh my God. This is heart-wrenching. :cry
  3. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Freakin A That's really sad some bastard had to steal your bike:puke1 Goodluck for a speedy return or sorting out another ride for your trip.

At least your person is doing okay, so I guess it could be a little worse but damn who would have thought.

Hoping for the best.

John
  4. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    That sucks. Keep us in the loop. It may be time to start an adv fund for a new bike. Happy to contribute.
  5. GSF1200S

GSF1200S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is how it commonly goes in todays world; a nice guy with honest and good intentions gets screwed by someone elses greed.

I might suggest checking newspapers, craigslist (or the equivalent there), cycletrader, and possibly even dealerships for your bike or parts from it- that might lead you onto something especially if what is being sold contains a unique farkle or the like.

Im sorry to hear this man- totally sucks and its certainly not fair. You worked in a job I KNOW is hard and honest work for a dream, and had an integral part of that dream stolen by some prick. I wish you the best and hope you find it soon. Its more than a bike at this point- it has sentimental value too.

**EDIT** Definitely check ebay.. gonna have a look myself now
  6. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:
    Noah I'm gutted for you mate. Hang in there miricles do happen. I've had a bike stolen before so know what it feels like but I wasn't in a foreign country at the time with my only means of transport so can only imagine how you must be feeling. Love your thread keep ya head up, CT 90's are almost as cool as KTM's
  7. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    I would have the police go back to shipping company receiving there some asshole there knows more then he's telling

I think this because you weren't in country that long & the bike was there long enough for someone there to scope it out.

Was there anyone there that showed a special interest or ask way too many questions? suspect ever one--trust no one
  8. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    The motorcycle community is a special one. I posted on the Horizons Unlimited website in Ireland and I have had 3 people offer me cheap bikes so far. A xf650, a dr200 and a 750 sport bike. I will wait around Dublin till Monday and if nothing with Katy M shows up I might be continuing with Suzi (the xf650 or dr200)

Thanks for your support. I am actually doing a lot better today after the initial WTF has warn off and I have *tried to get a nights sleep. I will probably put this one in the "lessons learned the really fecking hard way" category.
  9. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    As stated before.......get out and put the word out....of course the moto is being looked for...it's just been stolen!!!...

Also...it's a rare enough moto in itself with out looking at the hop up stuff you've put on...get to the local housing estates/pubs and talk......and dealers.....

Go see the local cop chief (Inspector or above)and see what he can say about it in the way of any help.....they may have intelligence running at the minute relative to what gangs operate...or quite simply what local scummer is the one that steals stuff....if they know...the locals will know too....Also approach any moto cop you see in the area and tell him what the deal is.....he'll be like minded.

Local newspaper/radio interview making your plight known...Yank tourist...first time in Ireland and and all that...too special a moto to give up so soon....

Hope it will turn up...lots of times they do after they've been raced and rallied by local scummers ....

:)

10. kwakbiker

kwakbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like has been said its a rare bike, chances are itll either be broken for parts or nicked by the local scummy youth and end up being burnt out. You americans have a good relationship with the Irish so I would go into the local pubs and ask around, explain the situation, you may be surprised and the offender may end up with some pain in the kneecaps. chances are the bike is hiding in a lock up somewhere, the police will tell you nowt about operations they have ongoing. Doubt it has anything to do with the shipping company(least I hope not), just the fact your bike stands out and with only a disc lock was a quick target. Go back to where it was parked, have a look around for CCTV camera's(petrol stations, banks, shops etc) and see if anything was picked up like a van cruising around or the same people walking back and forth. Best of luck
  11. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately the place where it was parked (next to 2 or 3 other motos) is not visible by the CCTV. I will print out pictures of her today and see what I can do.
  12. stoner_PL

stoner_PL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So sorry to hear that Noah. I've been following your journey and just wanted to welcome you here in Europe when I've read about that sad situation. It's a real bad luck. I hope you will be able to activate the locals to help. Some good ideas with pubs, local radio, local motorcycle community were shared + trying to get the recordings from CCTV around. I don't think Police would try to get any other recordings that municipal ones (if exist).

The more noise you will make around the chances for the thieves to get rid of the problematic bike would increase.

I think it's better to spend few more days there trying to get some people involved. That really might help.
    I hope your KTM will soon be found, just like the Colebatch's X-Challenge.

Anyways, you may count on motorcycle friends from Poland!
  13. ArcticRider

ArcticRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Noah,
    Sure sorry to hear your turn in fortune.:puke1
    As a fellow 690 owner I have been quietly following along your travel.

Ryman seemed to have some good advice posting here:

http://www.irishbikerforum.com/forum...-stolen-bikes/

If it is not already in an outbound container, then maybe the local community can keep an eye out.

I admire the fact your first thought was to get another bike to keep the adventure going rather than to throw in the towel.
    You've got the right stuff, Noah.

I am sending you a PM. Do me a favor and send me your email address...I want to make a paypal contribution towards your new bike purchase. Like the rest of the guys on here, I have spent many great evenings catching up on your whereabouts and I would like to help.
  14. HoBeau

HoBeau around the bend

Oddometer:
    That is some awful shite. Just plain rude. So sorry Noah.

I'm for applying your grit to the hunt down. Post the pics, tell the story - someone knows something.

You might wanna post up awareness in the 690 mega thread too.
  15. RobBD

RobBD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is a tragedy- bloody scumbags - it'll turn up somewhere and soon I hope for you Noah. Lets hope you dont have to wait the 42 years like the guy in the States recently who had his car stolen!. PM sent
  16. RoninMoto

RoninMoto Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Apparently my ktm was spotted and is being chased in the northwestern part of dublin by the cops. If this is in fact my KTM, its good news that its not in parts right now in a container getting shipped to BFE.
  17. enduro0125

enduro0125 Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer:
    Yeah.
    :clap
    Catch them bastards.

And a side note:Only stay where you can park your motorbike securely.

Worth the extra coin. :deal
  18. stoner_PL

stoner_PL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I keep my fingers crossed and wish for the happy ending and continuation of the orange adventure!
  19. Thatdog

Thatdog Hickster

Oddometer:
    Im sitting on the edge of my frickin seat with this nail biter

Noah -

You've got a great head on your shoulders - way to stay positive and keep it together thru all this. Remember that we may not be at your side on your journey, but we are right there with ya. I think its F'n awesome how sooo many people here are willing to help out and most of us are 1000's of miles away. Just shows how great this site actually is. And Id love to contribute to your "new" bike fund if they dont find your beloved 690.

I hope they catch up with your bike and its in a condition to continue on this phenom journey. But I look forward to the next chapter of your quest if they dont - RTW on a 90 would be EPIC. Fingers crossed that they find the KTM thou.

patiently waiting for more news ......................
  20. Nut Clutch

Nut Clutch was Steve Lavigne

Oddometer:
    Noah,

I hope they got your bike and it is in good condition. Can't wait to hear about it.

Hopefully you will find that for the few fuckheads in the world, there are many more that want to set things right.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.