Stock R12GS ratio to high ?

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Wolfgang55, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking to lower the FD ratio on an 09.
    Planning on getting a sidecar & don't want to be slipping the clutch, nor do I want the additional cost of a different clutch now.

Bike has only 16,000 miles. We don't slip the clutch as many others do & don't care to start now. Any suggestions as to who or where to go for a better ratio for this ''Hack to be''?

This is to be a pavement & hard pack touring rig, a rough riding scrambler.

Any direction is appreciated
  2. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are 3 possibilities that I'm aware of.

1. the 3.0 ratio FD from a european R850 RT. Available from your dealer.

2. Switch to a GSA, or replace your trans with the Enduro trans from one.

3. Go to "the Dark Side". You can get a slightly smaller diameter car tire that will effectively lower your drive output. Considering tire wear on a rig, this option will save you money on tires in the long run, and don't cost any more than the 3.0 FD

None of the options will get you more than 3-4% lower. A lower profile car tire, with an Enduro transmission and a 3.0 FD will get you about 7-8% lower (which is a huige difference)

Jay, from DMC sidecars once told me he has only wished for a lower ratio when towing his tent trailer behind his rig, 2-up and with luggage.
  3. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
    I can give a little personal experince. I have an 08 GSA. Last summer I blew up the tranny out in the NV desert NW of Gerlach.

A new Enduro tranny was around $3k so I looked for a used one. Looked for months and finally found a standard one w/ only ~9k miles one it for $1250.

I've had it out a few times since treadless & I installed it in December. Starting takes a bit more clutch but once you get going, it doesn't matter. The only this that would be a real clutch slipping occasion would probably starting on a steep incline. The higher 6th gear doesn't seems to improve the mpg much if any, but I haven't had it out for any kind of significant distance. The more relaxed engine RPMs at freeway speeds is nice. Acceleration and passing is adequate w/o downshifting, but you might have to drop a gear on a long grade.

So for me, at least, the standard tranny is going to work out just fine.
  4. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
  5. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE
    Just for you Wolfie its German not a Buell.DB[/QUOTE]

My Buell has a very close to German motor, the Austrain Rotex 1125.
    But then only in Horse Shoes.
  6. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    I originally had my sidecar on an 07 GS. I live on a hill, and pretty much all of Vermont is hilly. Honestly, I never had a problem with the gearing. The only reason I changed to the GSA was the sidecar did horrible things to my range, and the larger gas tank restored a decent range. The enduro tranny didn't make a difference I could notice, but when I converted to a car tire that plus the tranny made uphill starts a tiny bit easier in stop and go traffic. But this is Vermont. We have Rush Minute, not Rush Hour. Stop and go here lasts about two minutes.
  7. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    My Buell has a very close to German motor, the Austrain Rotex 1125.
    But then only in Horse Shoes.[/QUOTE]

Austrian motor owned by a Canadian Co, it was rather sad that when he finally got a motor and a chassis together HD was in bad enough shape to just shut the Buell business down.By then it was almost a cool bike but I'm originally a Ducati owner, I had a 944 Monster and test rode a Lightening but it had push rods and shook allot.DB
  8. jaydmc

jaydmc Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can run the final drive out of the R900 which is not sold in the USA however dealers can order the parts in. The R850R is the earlier style rear end that works on the R1150GS not the R1200GS
    Jay G
    DMC sidecars
    www.dmcsidecars.com
    jay@dmcsidecars.com
    866-638-1793