Ontario Ride 2012

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by tarzan30, May 30, 2011.

1. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    All excellent suggestions. :freaky
  2. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Seems like a consensus :freaky

TCAT to Ottawa from somewhere in Quebec. Informal....we'll suggest a route.

Camping may be mandatory....sweet beach on a lake..informal camping (aka there is nothing there...no "facilities").

There will be a few long stretches of remote sandy roads but i'll wager they won't disappoint. A handful of trails that are doable :wink:

Same time next year :freaky

See ya next Memorial day, we've got some pre riding to do :clap
  3. dvd_scott

dvd_scott Back road daydreamer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ted

If your talking about the route we did last year I'm pretty sure there will be quite a few happy people at the end of the day. Absolutely beautiful area to ride.

Couple of teaser pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

possible camping area. nice sandy beach

[​IMG]

Dave
  4. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree with keeping the same theme as this year, plenty of other rallies and local stuff to run naked bikes in more technical terrain. And from my own experience hosting 2 (so far-#3 is July 30/31-see my sig line) recreational adv/RTR rallies keeping it a guerilla style takes a whole lot of stress and headache off of the organizers.

Plus it's all about the TCAT which does imply you're carrying what you need for multiple days on the road. That being said a vehicle capable of hauling a broken bike running around in the background is a great idea.

as for timing, Memorial Day isn't bad but damn the weather is dicey in my neck of the woods for getting back and forth, a week or even 2 weeks can make a helluva a lot of difference especially for anyone contemplating a run across the Trans Labrador highway as part of their trip. Northern Quebec could easily still bbe under snow

I'm all in for a Quebec venue too
  5. Rode2Nowhere

Rode2Nowhere Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good consensus. :clap

Everything about this trip was perfect. Except the lack of vacation hours from work.

Deadly, Juames, the rest of you... your hobby has made quite a lot of people happy. :deal You Rock. :freaky
  6. Dirt Roads

Dirt Roads Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the direction this is taking. Keep it simple; travel loaded; camp. Keep a "wilderness adventure" theme. This isn't a big bus tour to see the Rockettes. A little challenge is a good thing. I'm in for 2012.
    ...Rich
  7. 4badboyz

4badboyz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Life is full of strucure, rules and deadlines:eek1 I enjoy a trip without a schedule, whatever happens happens, the more adventure the better:clap

Speaking of Quebec, I'm doing the translab the last week in August and the first week of Sept, solo so far unless anyone here is interested in coming along?:freaky

Mark
  8. tarzan30

tarzan30 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I wish! I think we could make good tracks on the Trans Lab!:freaky
  9. FreeTheBeast

FreeTheBeast no road left untaken Supporter

Oddometer:
    What about the long weekend of July 4th? Too many tourists/traffic on the main roads? There are usually ways to go around that stuff.
  10. R_Lefebvre

R_Lefebvre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree with the concensus here. Keep it simple. Arrowing would be almost impossible, and a horrible idea. I've been on enough arrowed rides to know that... it seems like the more direction you give, the more people get lost! You start arrowing, now nobody is incentivized to get a GPS, and figure out how to use it, or stick with somebody who does. Then they miss an arrow somewhere, next thing you know they're dick in the dirt lost. Also, fees, etc, yeah, you start running into Liability, Insurance, etc. That's the thing. You charge $20 for a few little details, next thing you know it's costing $200+ for insurance, etc.

That being said, a sweep truck sure would be nice. Getting a broken bike home from up there would be an order of magnitude more difficult than it was in Ontario.

Well, we don't have July 4th, but we do have July 1st, close enough. Next year, the 1st falls on a Sunday, so the holiday will be pushed to Monday. Your is on Wednesday. Right in the middle of the week, so not as useful for making a 3 day weekend for you guys.

I don't think traffic would be a problem. First, up in Quebec, nobody lives there. :lol3 There aren't enough people to cause traffic. However, in my experience, campgrounds, and even "unofficial" campgrounds will be packed. I was at one last year where somebody rented a cube van, packed it with a sound system, and they had a band playing that night. 100's of people came for the concert. There are NO facilities. I'm sure the other people there who weren't aware of this were thrilled.

That's what's nice about the Memorial Day weekend, you guys need an extra travel day, and you get it, and our campsites aren't full. But, the situation is that much more iffy in terms of weather and bugs.
  11. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Why wait until next year? We usually go up for the September long weekend, less bugs and heat. Good fun then.
  12. R_Lefebvre

R_Lefebvre Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I could possibly do that. It's normally a family-cottage weekend for me, but since the cottage is up in Quebec anyway, could probably drive the whole family up and then abandon them. :rofl
  13. 2twisted

2twisted NRTHJSTNRTH

Oddometer:
    +1 Could not have said it better.
  14. sailer

sailer trained Cirus Bear

Oddometer:
    ok the so that was recieved well :fishie

I am actually glad to see so much feed back, discussion, and comments from my post

all made with very good pionts.

I have always live by a rule that best agruement wins.
    that, with concensus that it is obviously what the majority wants

that being said :deal
    looks like I will be buying a new GPS and will be learning how to down load routes.

then there is the whole camping thing :baldy

I figur something out:hmmmmm

for the record I can't wait until it is time again :tb
  15. Rode2Nowhere

Rode2Nowhere Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not that the issue has been raised, but I just wanted to put this out there to Ted and the other organizers...

in the wake of the stories of "no one finished the route", etc., I hope you don't end up paring down the distances for the daily tracks next year. I love the "long distance" option if one is so inclined.

Someone (can't remember who) said around the campfire on Night 2, "Great ride Ted. Although a little optimistic with your times."

Good! :clap Leave the tracks long. It rocks having the cannonball option. :nod
  16. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:
    Based on what I have seen as the suggested route for next year........ cannonball option is a understatment!:eek1

I think the times will have to be more realistic this time.... just sayin...
  17. rudyunknown

rudyunknown Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    swear to God i can see shipwreck say that.....i might have heard him say that a bunch of time all thru the ride.....
    Rudy dont crash next time.....just sayin
    Rudy dont drown ur bike.....Just sayin
    We werent going to leave u in the mosquito land...just sayin :)
    Ok Back to topic....
    u rock dude
  18. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:
    I actually, finally met someone with worse luck than I....... great to meet you Rudy!!!.......:lol3 you were my comedic release..... yellow shoes and all....
    just sayin......:lol3:lol3:lol3
  19. Lobster Grrl

Lobster Grrl Ground feeder

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmm, thinking about it....
    I'd be more inclined if there were other wimmin's on the adventure.

lg
  20. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Next years route goes into some remote area's. The second night is at a spot that is 120 miles from anywhere in ALL directions so the route WILL have to be followed or you're in for some trouble and a lonely night with only the bears for company.

Don't worry the route is doable, the main is primarily big sandy roads. I'd be hesitant to ride next years sugessted route without a proper GPS that does tracks as one wrong turn and you are going to end up somewhere very far away from the suggested route.

Just saying :rofl