Third time is the charm

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by lucky6600, Sep 17, 2011.

1. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The story is back to 2 years ago when I got the Cafe' itch and really wanted to have a BMW airhead cafe'. Got the 80' R100 RT from Woodie with a family price. However, half way through taking everything off, I decided it will be a total waste cafe' this RT so put everything back and replaced anything needed to be replaced. It runs like a champ and I am still enjoy it every single time while I am on it.

[​IMG]

A year later, the Cafe' itch came back. Therefore, I posted a wanted Ads on BMW MOA website and magazine. Few days later, a guy from PA called me and gave me a price that I had no reason to say no. Rented a trailer, drove couple hundred mills down to PA, picked up this German bitch. Once again, half way through ... decided to keep is somehow original. I am really glad how it came out in the end, and never thought an airhead can be this fun.

[​IMG]

So .... while my Cafe' itch is somehow cool down, was on Craiglist at work few days ago (shouldn't have done that at the first place). Saw this post ...that can't be true for the asking price. I picked up the phone and called, he still had the bike and the price was as posted. Came home and took my coin-jar to the coin-star, and stopped by an ATM on my way out, got a friend came with me to check out the bike.

[​IMG]

The location was in the middle of no where, took some detours, saw 2 bears, and some off road.... found this barn, and the bike .....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As they always say, someone's junk could be someone's treasure. I gave the guy the offer and showed him the green. He took it right away, and the bike was on my friend Larry's trailer less than 10 mins. While we were loading the bike, his phone rang, and he said.. sorry, the bike was sold 1 min ago. I didn't know that's from his wife or really someone else. That was getting late so the bike was stored at Larry's that night. Borrowed Mike's trailer the second day to bring this thing home.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Few interesting stuffs about this /7,
    The previous owner knows nothing about this /7.
    The odometer reads 25k miles, but I don't buy that.
    The year is also unknown

[​IMG]

The hammer is doing it's job quite well

[​IMG]

This bike was hauling side-car, noticed from those three super strong supporters

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It has the electric ignition,
    [​IMG]

flat top Bing carb
    [​IMG]
    larger oil pan
    [​IMG]

Vented rear wheel, BMW OEM???
    [​IMG]

It's a project, part bike, or could be part out ... either way, this is going to be fun ....
    [​IMG]
  2. RotorBrake

RotorBrake "Fun Club" President

Oddometer:
    coolio... I laughed when I saw the hammer

subscribed :lurk
  3. wirewrkr

wirewrkr the thread-killer

Oddometer:
    It's a 1978.
    I've seen the vents before, don't remember why some wheels have them and some don't
    Engine number match the frame number?
    My 1978 R100/7 also had flattops
    Nothing wrong with them. they have a bad reputation for some reason.
  4. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    What do you mean - possible parts bike???

You've finally found the perfect candidate to customize and satisfy the cafe urge!

And along the way, you've also discovered why we all cringe when someone shows us a pic of a perfectly good beemer they're going to cafe. :lol3

It's not because we're purists or anything else - they're just so cool as they are, but take a little "getting used to". Looks like you've figured that all out. The best route is modifying a project bike - hopefully this one has a sound engine and transmission! And even though you don't believe it, it's quite possible the mileage is correct.
  5. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:

What's the giving away clue you said it's a 1978? That will be the year on the bill of sale anyway, LOL.
    The vented wheel looks kinda funny and feel those plastic could fall off. The number does match and that's the whole reason I might NOT part out.
    What's the issue with flat top Bing?

I just got the bike the day before yesterday and haven't had chance to take a deep looking into the engine and tranny yet. That will be the deal maker right there. Also, since it was hauling side car before, the engine might be tired. Who knows...
    And, you are right. This is a great candidate for an airhead cafe project since there is no real reason nor value to complete restored it.
  6. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess what you are going to see here is so called "Another airhead cafe failure"

After few months of ebaying, and IBMWRing, I got most of the parts which have BMW on it. Engine top end was off for inspection/clean/retorqued, Carbs were rebuilted, re-writed mos the the wires due to the side-car setup (mess up), and it runs perfect. It is not show bike for any means, and some rough edges, but I say it's a good 5 feeter.
    There are few things left, but this bikeis ready for the road.

http://youtu.be/phu8NfwpoZo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. davide

davide Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You, sir, do excellent work. I had an R75/7 once and wish I had never let it go... I enjoyed admiring your stable of fine steeds. Gracias 4 posting!
  8. rtw02

rtw02 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are going to have to buy an already finished Cafe-ed bike if you Really want one...:rofl
  9. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wait...really?
    What's the point of having so many airheads then?
    I mean I understand an RT then having a naked one...but a 3rd naked one?
    I even hate cafe bikes and I was expecting you to branch out from what you currently have hahah.
  10. bmwloco

bmwloco Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uh, I think it may be a 1977. I had a R75/7 from 1977 and it looked very much like this one. Had an S faring and Luftmeister on mine.
  11. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    lucky6600,
    You do great work.
    IMHO, too nice a job fixing her up and too nice a bike to cafe.
  12. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:

And you are very right about the "3rd" naked one, and I pretty sure I have some kind of issue ....

[​IMG]
  13. blaine.hale

blaine.hale Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hahaha, we all are fortunate to have such issues.
  14. Cordless

Cordless Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer:
    You just can't seem to create a cafe, can you. Ummm, how bad would an airhead have to be to let you cafe it?

BTW, some of us have quite the multibike airhead sickness. We ought to start a thread featuring photos of our multiAirhead collections.
  15. lucky6600

lucky6600 Long timer

Oddometer:

Actually, the next project is here already, and this should be even more interesting...

[​IMG]