Abs delete kit?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by spencergt66, Dec 30, 2012.

1. spencergt66

spencergt66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does any one make an abs delet kit with all the hoses and parts needed? If not does any one have a parts list this abs is driving me nuts........ I think it's trying to kill me 2007 990 adv with S suspension
  2. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    While we are discussing this is possible keep the ABS for the front and bypass it for the rear?
  3. spencergt66

Oddometer:
    Bet you can just put a line right to the caliper and by pass the abs pump might throw a code though I want to take mine out completely and throw it in the garbage
  4. Katoom119

Katoom119 Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer:
    Look up my DIY: ABS removal thread. I had a part list and instructions there.

You can also run a line from the rear caliper straight to the brake to bypass the rear ABS and then block off the open ABS holes in the pump with bolts. Nothing electrical with this so it shouldn't throw a code.
  5. DirtJack

DirtJack Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    356 miles SE or 539 miles NW of Orla, Texas
    Put a switch in the rear sensor line. When open, the default is no ABS. When closed, normal operation. Cheaper and easier than plumbing new lines. Google finds a few threads giving HOWTO. :1drink
  6. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    I did this, easiest way if you want factory is get a set of lines for an 05 S model 950 front and rear.

Done.

I just went to local shop and for 1/4 the cost had three lines made up two front one rear.

I then unplugged the pump, removed the sensors and was done.

Then I got rid of the EFI but that is another story.

It is quite easy to do, and if you take your time you can also remove the harness left behind.
  7. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    But that is not what I want for myself - I want the ABS to function on the front but not the rear.
  8. DSM8

Oddometer:
    Someone plumbed the rear line straight to the master, then plugged the two ports on the pump.

So long as there is fluid in the pump when you plug it that should work for you.

An idea.
  9. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    Thanks
  10. spencergt66

Oddometer:

Sweet thanks :clap:clap
  11. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    I have an 07 standard Adventure.
    I bought the 08 "S" model brake lines and 08 "S" model speedo sensor.
    Pretty easy job really.
    I removed all hoses and wire harnesses and entire unit in a few hours.

New brake lines are way shorter, and should likely feel better....
  12. Katoom119

Oddometer:
    They will. You can actually tell what's going on since there is so much more feel in the lever.
    Bitingdog likes this.
  13. corndog67

corndog67 Banned

Oddometer:
    I don't understand why you would get an expensive option when you don't want ABS? Or is the ABS standard? Personally, I don't want it myself. I'm one of those old fucks that thinks (probably wrongly) that I can brake better than the computer. Just wondering.
  14. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    The ABS bikes were cheaper than the non-abs bikes.
  15. DSM8

Oddometer:
    ^^ THIS

Plus the number of non abs bikes depending on the year you bought it was also much different.

When I got mine the non abs was practically impossible to find in my area within 300 miles.
  16. Katoom119

Oddometer:
    ABS was standard and the only thing I could find within 3 states. BMW's ABS system works very well but KTM didn't quite pull it off. I actually found it to be more of a hindrance than a help.
  17. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    First of all, I don't own a KTM. But I am about as anti ABS as it is possible to get. EVERYBODY else seems to want ABS, and many have refused to buy a bike they otherwise liked because it didn't have ABS. I never understood the appeal of ABS, and would much prefer to control the brakes myself. The reason I posted this is I have got a lot of not so nice comments about my opinions on ABS, and now I see a thread by someone who WANTS to disable it? Can you explain why you would want to disable something that most riders would gladly pay over $1000 for?
  18. spencergt66

Oddometer:
    Because when the pavement ends and the dirt begins I dont always stop sometimes I speed up, and when a corner comes up it is only then @ 85mph that I realize the FUCKING ABS is still on and im not even Kind of slowing down :eek1:eek1:eek1. Or you stop on a trail shut the bike off to BS for a sec or check a map take off down a hill and remember half way down that the ABS reactivated since you restarted the bike:eek1:eek1 .. Its a Dirt bike I ride it like one and it should work like one
  19. Capt.saveaho

Capt.saveaho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When is abs good... When you aren't paying attention, like when you are just cruising, looking at the scenery and OH SHIT!!!! I HATE abs but it has saved my life before, it has almost cost me my life as well. I am a proponent for a switch which is what I plan on doing. I have ridden with a number of ex-racers and they all say the same thing, it's good for those oh shit moments, where most accidents happen, but when you're riding hard or in the dirt forget about it. There's my 2 cents.
  20. spencergt66

Oddometer:
    Was going to order front brake lines but I see an issue I have a high fender kit and need 2 longer brake lines not the 1 long and 1 cross over? can I just order 2 front lines (longer tupe) also wont I need a long banjo bolt for the Brake master to tie in 2 brake hoses?