Minimalist Touring Thread (250cc and under)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SIKLR250, Feb 2, 2007.

1. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    I wanted one too. I wish Harbor Frt would offer them, so they'd be cheap & available locally.

It's crazy that nobody sells them in the US. I wonder if the design is patented?
  2. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm sure HF has "bean counters" too. How many could they sell? We here are generally innovative, I think, compared to cage people. We make "brake snakes" out of used guitar strings and such. Still, someone with a machine shop could use making them into a side business, any takers?
  3. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    That gentleman was also a regular poster on the China Riders forum, but I haven't seen him post anywhere for quite some time. :(: Indeed, that's a nifty little tool. :nod Nevertheless, I still prefer to change tires using the methods I learned from Jay Clarke. :deal

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BE1qG9iQZlg?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sFg44gjjDLA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RnjZ32aGcZ4?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MCGvKMzBXPs?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Spud :beer
  4. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great post, as usual Spud. When I did my front, I used the disc rotor to put the tire irons under, last dirt bike I did had drum brakes, so I couldn't do that. Definitely better to learn to do this at home, makes it easier to do it "out there someplace".
  5. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    I wish all of my motorcycle tires would wear out at the same time, because the second one is always easier. I can't imagine how easy the 6th, 8th, etc.. would be.

It's all the "little things" (that you always seem to forget!) which make changing tires easy. :huh

It's great to have YouTube to refer to after busting knuckles, cussing, and down to your last beer! :freaky

In the "old days" we just had to go get more beer and keep on cussin' !
  6. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    You obviously have too few motorcycles. Or if not enough ride time, let me use em, I'll wear the tires out for you.
  7. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

I've got a bunch of em' with worn out back tires....I can make you a good deal! :deal (My wife made me stop drinking & cussing.....so now I just go buy a'nuther bike when they git slick..., But they last twice as long since I kaint ride on Sundys anymor. :cry )

I really would like to get one of them tire gizmos.
  8. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are pretty slick, kinda forgot about them.
  9. ALinUTAH

ALinUTAH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw a thread somewhere recently about tire changing. They cut the old one off with a hacksaw. Then to mount the new one, they wrapped a half dozen long zipties around the tire, which holds the beads together, and it just slipped right on. -al
  10. Rhompin45

Rhompin45 Rhompin45

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the wr250r feedback! I realize its only a 250 that's what I have now and I ask a lot out of it but for what it is it does great. I figured this would be a good place to ask. It seems everyone I talk to has this need for big cc bikes. I realize they have there place but I have never had anything fast before and I'm ok with that. Compared to my 92 wrangler with 260000 miles my tu250 seems fast to me anyways. It won't be for a while but I would like to get a dual sport sometime in the future and I like to plan ahead and see my options. I had looked at the klx650 and dr650 also but I eliminated the klx due to weight. The xr650 is nice but I don't like the seat. I wish I could find a wr250 to look at they must not sell many the dealers don't have any around here.
  11. GearDrivenCam

GearDrivenCam Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you think you might be leaning toward a 650cc bike - take a look at the Husqvarna TR650 Terra. Single-cylinder dual sport. Only about $500 more than a KLR650. However, it has about 18 more hp, is equipped with modern fuel-injection, an up-to-date chassis, and weighs less. Probably more fuel efficient too.

Mike
  12. 8lives

8lives WTF, in Cannabis we trust.

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Husky Strada 650,look around for Big Dog,he went all over on a Wr and now appears to have a Strada,see his take on the it,my local dealer says all the KLR guys are getting a Strada,he is a darn good salesman,and a smartass in a good way!
  13. Slipinn

Slipinn DevilDogMarine

Oddometer:
    I have been looking as well. Seems my local dealers here don't have a single dual sport in stock at any of the dealers in this area. I have a 96 xr250l but would like something that does not have to strain so much at interstate speeds. It seems you need a 400cc to do that. The wr is the highest priced in a 250 with more power so in the 250's I think the klx is the best buy so far and might be a little faster on the top than my xr but am betting holding it at 75 for anytime is a strain and near wot.
    The DRZ 400s is big jump in price and getting into the price area of a DR or xr650. I am trying to stay light in weight to around 300 to 350 max and closer to 300 or less yet still be able to sustain 75mph if needed with a strong enough frame for touring gear without dealing with rear subframe breaks or cracks.
    If the new 250 to 400cc bike I am looking at is bordering 6500 bucks then I am reluctant to spend that kind of cash on it when I could be buying a 650 dr or xr for the same amount.
  14. GearDrivenCam

GearDrivenCam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whoops. I meant to say the TR650 Terra. The Terra is the dual-sport. The Strada is the street-biased version.

Mike
    ewagman likes this.
  15. 8lives

8lives WTF, in Cannabis we trust.

Oddometer:
    Whoops your right it is the Terra,my local dealer has both and they look nice,terra would be my choice.Go to BIGDOG adventures he is all over the 650Terra.
  16. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check out the new Honda CRF250L. :deal

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21059735#post21059735

Spud :beer
  17. Earthscape

Earthscape Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer:
    Engine size alone won't guarantee a better high-speed ride, or less strain doing so. The DRZ is actually a good example, because it has a very close ratio 5 speed transmission. So you either gear it for high speed, or you gear it for low speed, but not both. Most of the newer 250s have significantly wider ratio 6 speed transmissions, covering a wider variation of speed - able to go slow in tight terrain but still be geared high for faster travel. It is very difficult to find a bike that is perfect for what anyone in particular wants/needs. If you want to keep it light but need more power and easier cruising, there are options for big bore kits on some of the modern 250s.
    Have a browse in this thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281742
  18. GearDrivenCam

GearDrivenCam Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went for a ride yesterday on my 2011 CBR150R. First ride with the Thai CBR150R engine in my 2011 CBR125R chassis. I'd been waiting since October 2012 to take this thing out. The temp display on my car said 8C. Good enough for me.

Headed out on my usual run along Lakeshore Drive out to Wild Goose Beach. The bike felt great. Noticeably more power across the rev range compared to the CBR125R. And the sound is more throaty than its little brother too. It sounds great. With the 150R, you had better like the sound of a small displacement 4-valve single at high rpm - because that's where the tach will be sitting most of the time. Good thing it's relatively smooth when you wind it out. The road into Wild Goose was snow covered in places. But at around 300lbs wet, the bike is reasonably lightweight and easy to handle - apparently even through snow and ice. :D

[​IMG]

You can see the remnants of our recent winter tale here. The snow is now melting fast (finally), but we got dumped on several times toward the end of the season.

[​IMG]

It certainly doesn't look like good riding weather. But at no time was I ever cold. After a couple of hours - I was still cozy in my gear. The photo below is the beach parking lot.

[​IMG]

And here is the Sleeping Giant and umm....the beach. You can see a section of an ice-racing track to the left.

[​IMG]

I like comparing the same photo at different times of year. The contrast of seasons is pretty remarkable. The photo below was taken in July 2012. If you look closely, you can see people swimming in the cool waters of Lake Superior below. Hard to image this scene from the photo above.

[​IMG]

Here's a closer look at the Giant. If you are wondering whether the Giant has somehow been decapitated, check out the other photos below that better capture the Giant in full glory.

[​IMG]

From there I continued along Lakeshore and then took the Trans-Canada back to Thunder Bay so I could test the highway capability of the 150R. Overall - it did fine. However, I was facing a pretty severe headwind and found myself frequently dropping it from 6th (7800 rpm @ 100km/hr) to 5th (9000 rpm @100km/hr) in order to continue riding at my 100km/hr (GPS) goal. After taking some time to peruse the useful online Gearing Commander site, I think I might go with one less tooth on the countershaft sprocket. This would put me at 8400 rpm in 6th @ 100km/hr - right near the bike's torque peak at 8500 rpm. My older 2009 125R with this 150R engine ran similar lower gearing, and I think I like the extra jump the lower gearing gives me in the city, and I'm more satisfied with the way it works on the highway too. I also stopped at the Terry Fox Lookout too for a quick break and a few more photos.

[​IMG]

Here is a plaque that describes Terry's "Marathon of Hope" journey.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is another gratuitous shot of the 150R (the wolf) in 125R (sheep's)clothing...

[​IMG]

From there I visited the Bluffs overlooking the Current River for yet another view of the Giant. I didn't expect to see so many others enjoying the views and milder temps.....while pensively sucking back on some thinly rolled, sweet smelling...ummm... cigarettes. :eek1

[​IMG]

I thought I'd stop by Hillcrest Park as well to take yet another shot of the Sleeping Giant. On the way there while waiting at a stop, a young guy drove by in a pickup and with the window rolled down yelled what sounded like "Nice Mike!" :huh but I think it was "Nice bike!" :lol3 Either way - I think the colours look pretty striking.

[​IMG]

Here is another contrasting shot taken in June from a similar spot. You can barely see the outline of the Giant in the background.

[​IMG]

I took one more photo before heading toward Oliver Road and onto the expressway. I wanted to stretch the 150Rs legs a bit.

[​IMG]

Mike
  19. Eastbayview

Eastbayview Ride On

Oddometer:
    Great pics Mike. Looks like it was a nice day to get out.
  20. Rhompin45

Rhompin45 Rhompin45

Oddometer:
    I can't imagine riding in snow I don't even like driving in snow I have been in Arizona my whole life and it doesn't snow where I live. But I really am courious about that cbr150/ 125 before and after engine swap what is/ was the top speed. I started riding on a Chinese scooter 150 with a cvt it went about 55 on a good day. My gf is interested in riding but just wants something to cruse around town. I was looking at the old xl185 but there kinda hard to come by. I'm not sure that it would be any easier finding the cbr125 around here but I like the looks of it.