is there a modern version of the KE100 made anywhere?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by mpatch, Nov 20, 2012.

1. mpatch

mpatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    After getting the old KE I bought back into good running order I am amazed how much fun this little bike is. My question is why can't anybody make a newer version of the KE or something similar, ie sub 200 lbs, low seat, somewhat offroadable, the main thing is the weight and seat height, even the smallest modern dual sports are still over 250 wet
  2. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Someone asked this awhile ago. Kawi does make a newer version. It's not sold in North America as a street legal bike, though.

See HERE.

Since there was none here, I made one.

I found a KLX140L (the 'L' version has several upgrades to the standard 140) and put a Baja Designs kit on it. It was really very simple and turned out very nice.

I'll throw up some pics, shortly.
  3. mpatch

mpatch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pics and some specs please.
  4. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Not sure what specs you need... it's just a 2009 KLX140L that I jetted a bit richer than factory.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. RayAlazzurra

RayAlazzurra Stuck in the Eighties

Oddometer:
    Mexico has several Chinese made bikes that fit the bill. I think you could still buy TS185 two strokes in Mexico until 2005 or so...

Here is the EN-125 four stroke. [​IMG]
  6. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    i wanna know more about the KE100 rebuild?

i have one sitting waiting to get worked over but i cant seem to find a gas tank. mine is shot and no one seems to make one, all the ones on ebay are just as bad. i'm not gonna pay kawi $400+ for a new one so i've just been waiting....

laramie :beer
  7. airgord

airgord What am I doing out here! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was given an '80 KE125 that the po had jacked the timing up and killed the top end, some day..........
  8. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    I'm back and forth from AZ frequently. I know a guy with 5 or 6 old KEs in his yard. I'll see what he has, what condition they're in and if he wants to part with any pieces - next time I talk to him.

I'll check the local bike wreckers, too.
  9. Royal Tiger

Royal Tiger Sd Kfz 182

Oddometer:
    Putting "Pure Sport" on the side of that drum braked Suzuki piece of crap is like putting "Formula 1 Inspired" on the side of a Yugo.

The KE100 is a neat little bike. I saw one for sale locally last year. The warmed over KLX140L is hot!!!!! Awesome job!
  10. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    I'm hoping to find some bargains on a few other pieces. Exhaust, carb to start, maybe upgrade to the KX100 front end. If it all works out and the bike gets ridden enough I might consider a big bore kit too.
  11. Hockeygod

Hockeygod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I had a KM (?) 100 about 1980. It was street legal, oil injected and allowed me to ride the secondary and forestry roads from my farm in the foothills of the Rockies. A bit gutless, but man was it fun and reliable! I put a ton of miles on it and bent the chrome turn signal stalks many times... Life was simpler back when you were 14!