The BMWs are (finally) coming

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by elamofo, Jun 21, 2012.

1. ScootTour

ScootTour Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was surprised at the 'pre-price hint'. They said around 10k which is what the burg is.
  2. S/W

S/W Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Mine do too, but would rather not. One of them asked me to ride behind him so he wouldn't have to look at it. All my friends have been riding for many years. "

My friends wouldn't ask me to ride behind them, that would require catching me!!

3. Deans BMW

Deans BMW Granpa Hoon

Oddometer:
    You are wrong on so many levels. The dealership I am most associated with has a very large waiting list with deposits for the upcomming BMW Scooters. Scooter sales and service is a large and very important part of our business.
  4. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't feed the Troll!
  5. PeeBee

PeeBee Giant leap for me!

Oddometer:
    Last Saturday I was given the opportunity to book a test drive on both BMW scooters.

After 20+ years of riding 15+ motorcycles on a daily basis, my last KTM Duke got stolen and I swapped it for a used Vespa GT200, just to bridge the gap until the purchase of the fast bike. And guess what: the Vespa is a light, handy and very useable scoot and now I'm contemplating something between the Vespa and a KTM. Hence the BMW scooters.

Here's a small stack of two cents:
    -They are both great scooters, and a bit heavy when stopped or driving slowly. GT hides its higher weight well.
    - It's not possible to put them from the side stand onto the central stand, because of the parking brake that engages when the side stand is out.
    -Engines feel a bit 'rough' or clunky. Maybe because of very low ODO?
    -The electric screen adjuster on the GT is really nice, but the manual on the Sport works too, although it has only three settings (low/med/high). Screen on GT is wider.
    -The underseat room of the GT is much bigger.
    -Really nice info display. Tyre pressure, oil lever, the works.
    -The Sport has the coolest Daytime Running Lights. Iron Man, anyone?
    -GT has different tyres than the Sport. This is something that I haven't read anywhere, but the GT has Metzeler touring rubber, where the Sport has Pirelli Diablo's. The Pirelli's give a lot more confidence...
    -I'm 6'4'', and being this tall, the higher handlebars of the GT are nicer and make for a less cramped seating position. The GT also has a nicer back rest.
    -They are really fast, although the first 30 feet or so from a stop are bit hesitant. Best to take off with more than a little throttle.

To me the Sport is nicer looking and the better ride of the two, while the GT has the better seating position and ergonomics. And the dealer's quote that's sitting on my desk is very tempting...
  6. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    I have a photo of a Sport model I took while in Sweden last week. If anyone is interested in posting it (I can't, computer illiterate), please PM me with your email address.
  7. gregbenner

gregbenner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am also quite interested. I currently have several motorcycles, including a 650 Burgie. Hopefully the hesitation you refer to off the line is not a characteristic. Stop light performance is important when splitting lanes:evil

Damn near got my old a$$ kicked a few days ago...nailed a guy in town on a Harley Ultra Classic off the line, twice. (me on my 650 Burgie). He had really loud exhausts, unbelievably funny watching him trying to be cool getting smoked by an old man on a scooter:loll The 1st time I kind of surprised him, maybe not fair. 2nd time was completely fair. After the 2nd time he asked me if I was F%#^*^# with him. I said no, and turned right. Damn that was fun.

Scooters definitely have their place for some people, some places .
  8. 2wheelfish

2wheelfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is Speedo66's picture from Sweden. Sorry is took me so long Speedo, I was having technical issues myself.

[​IMG]

Depending on price I am seriously considering this scoot. Will wait to test drive for sure, may also wait till a few get out on the road a little while to see if any issues crop up.
  9. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    No problem, thanks for posting.
  10. gkgeiger

gkgeiger Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer:

I'm trying to decide between this and the NC700X. I love the convenience of my scooter but can't get used to the low sitting position. This one is a little taller but the NC with DCT might just be right.
  11. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Saw one today. Not impressed. Nasty plastics and matt paint on a £10,000 GBP scooter. The new Honda Integra looks a much better finished machine.
  12. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Given the choice of deep luxurious metallic finishes, and matte black in the
    current gen T-max, 90% of the ones I've seen on the local roads are
    matte.

Guess what else?
    It costs extra.

It makes perfect sense to me that BMW did that.
    They do it with their cars now too.

Considering the price (and the gearbox) though, I'd get the Integra too.
  13. Paulvt1

Paulvt1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't for the life of me understand the mentality of buying something you can't polish.
  14. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Don't damage the paint and you won't have to polish (and make it thinner
    and thinner every time) it.

:deal
  15. Dabears

Dabears Long Timer

Oddometer:
    Polish? i have an old vespa and an R1200GS. I don't even WASH them!
  16. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  17. 2wheelfish

2wheelfish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got an email from the dealer and it looks like the USA "base" price for the Sport os $9,590 and the GT is $9,990. Highline package more, but how much is not known yet. About what I expected. High enough to cause significant pain, but still within range to possibly consider (at least for me). Wasn't sure if this was known yet, just thought I'd pass it along to those interested.
  18. Dead Elvis

Dead Elvis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am glad to hear that the pricing will be below $10,000 and I will have my order in for one. I have trouble deciding between a GT or Sport...
    ABS and delivery is included in that price. It should be a great scooter ride..
  19. hexnut

hexnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://modernvespa.com/forum/topic104364

We finally have an indication of the "BASE" pricing on the new BMW scooters!

C600Sport $9,590
    C650GT $9,990

Remember, as with all BMW's, that excludes Destination charges ($495) and the added features that they will likely all come with.
    On the scooters it is the "Highline package" which includes Heated Grips, Heated seats and TPM. I don't know how much that package will cost yet.
    But at least now, we have a good idea of the price point on the scooters.

Dealer launch is scheduled for Oct 21-24 and the scooters will likely start to arrive shortly after that.

As I've mentioned before there will be extremely limited production (especially of the Sport). If you are hoping to get one, I strongly encourage you to put on order in with your local dealership.

Woot!
    ~RobynS
  20. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    Lucky bastards.

They start at $16.700 here.