Puerto Penasco MX worth checking out?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by AdventurePoser, Mar 29, 2013.

1. AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser Long timer

Oddometer:
    The pretext for a big ass tour of the west will be visiting one son and family in Boise, and son number two and family in Maricopa AZ. I'm noting Rocky Point isn't that far from his place.

Is it worth going down there for a couple of days? Any decent camping and restaurants?

cheers,
    Steve
  2. AZKomet

AZKomet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    RP is a somewhat over rated in my opinion. It has some appeal to us AZ folks for the beach being closer than San Diego by about 2.5 hrs. However, the water is not that great and the ocean is not like the clear waters of CanCun.
    If you like the nightlife it is plentiful. Hotels are not too pricey and there are water sports in the daytime. The area has a lot of sand in the town and on a windy day it is quite unpleasant due to the blowing sand.
    The Mexican police can be a PITA due to them wanting $$ for allowing you to go without a true traffic ticket even though you have not committed an infraction. It is a typical thing there.
    Border crossing is good at the AZ port but can be a lengthy wait on the week-end returns to the US.
    Have a passport, DO NOT bring a weapon as you can and will go to prison if caught. Hide $$ somewhere on your person or on the bike. Get insurance PRIOR to going into Mex. A lot of places can sell it to you in AZ.
    Above all else be careful while on the open roads. Bandits prey on solo folks of ones who have vehicle issues.
    I would pass it by myself...Only cuz I have been there. If one wants a tiny bit of Mexico then go ahead and try it. It is about 3 hrs form Maricopa AZ. If you get to Phx give me a shout. I am good for a free cup of joe if interested. Anything else? PM me and I will try to help ya out a bit more.
    Best, Dave

BTW if ya go to Wa Wa's leave the lady at home! ;)
  3. AdventurePoser

Oddometer:
    AZKomet,

I'll be in Maricopa next weekend. Your analysis of PP is kinda what I was thinking after doing a bit of reading. I do like the ride down, what is it, AZ 86? (Don't have a map in front of me right now...) In fact, I was at that tiny little crossroads at Why, AZ sitting on a bench when that large earthquake took place a few years ago. It was strong enough to make me think somewhere, somebody's gonna be hurting.

I've also been to Lukeville after visiting the Organ Pipe area. Someone told me there was an excellent Mexican restaurant right across the border, but I didn't have my passport...

Maybe I'll go check out Puerto Penasco for a day or two, but maybe not. It seems underwhelming to me.

Let's meet for a cup next week.

Steve
  4. AZKomet

AZKomet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds good.

From Maricopa you can take the 238 to Gila Bend and then to the 85, not 86 and head south to the border and Organ Pipe. From Maricopa you can head Casa Grande and then to Indian 15 which is less traffic and will take you to Why AZ . 85 is a great road in many ways though, although heavily patrolled by the DPS and USBP. I will shoot ya my cell # if you wanna so you can connect up.

Best, Dave
  5. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    What he said.
    It's just tourist BS.
    And the town does well by that.

They offer t-shirts, booze, and food.
  6. Hikertrash

Hikertrash Wasted Rock Ranger

Oddometer:
    Not worth the hassle of paying for Mexican insurance and waiting in a long line to cross back over, IMO. Prices are going to be same as U.S. since its a tourist spot and it's also a popular spring break destination. Personally, I'd rather spend the extra couple of hours and ride down to San Felipe.
  7. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    Ya I'd pretty much skip it, and go a little further south.... YMMV.....
  8. booger1

booger1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree, Rocky Point is over rated. But if you need a Mexican adventure.
    Go a little farther west, cross at Mexicali and go to San Felipe, however same condition coming back, long lines.
  9. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From what I gather, He's riding his bike, So lines won't be an issue, Bikes are allowed to filter to the front returning back from Mexico:deal
  10. AdventurePoser

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

Yep, I am riding my bike around southern Arizona-son lives in Maricopa, so I have a convenient base to explore the area.

From what I'm gathering from those who've been there, PP isn't really worth the trip-maybe I'll just do Sonoita, Bisbee, Douglas, Patagonia, Tombstone. There is a very cool dirt road between Sonoita and Patagonia that crests a hill and sweeps through a magnificent valley...Great views, not a power pole in site-the way the west used to be. When I did this road a couple of years ago I met a couple of ICE guys who agreed it was beautiful, but to be off it at night.

Serene in the daytime, but up for grabs between the DTOs and human traffickers when the sun sets.:huh

To those who suggest San Felipe, I agree...it's a pretty cool place. It's a shame that people don't visit there like they used to. I was in El Nido, an excellent steakhouse enjoying dinner one recent evening. The waiter begged me to tell my "American friends" to come visit...
    [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Steve
  11. CaptUglyDan

CaptUglyDan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't been to PP, but San Felipe is great, and the road south to Gonzaga is awesome as well
  12. booger1

booger1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, if you can only spend a day or 2 in Mexico, make it Baja and I guarantee you'll be begging for more.
  13. AdventurePoser

Oddometer:
    Yep, I am fortunate enough to be in Mexico in 4 hours from my place. Makes a ride to San Felipe very easy. But my favorite town in Baja is San Ignacio.

Steve
  14. booger1

booger1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not to far either. So far I don't have a favorite place, but I'm starting to feel the need to get back down there.
  15. redninja

redninja Will ride 4 scenery

Oddometer:
    The "campground" was a fenced-in asphalt parking lot. No picnic table....welcome to sitting on the ground. Fireworks and loud parties all night (deafening!) Beach loaded with wandering "vendors". Not that there's anything wrong with someone wanting to make a buck, but I had no interest in buying anything, and they kept coming around. Beach was rocky. This was I guess in the "downtown" area. We ended up relocating to a new condo building on the beach a ways from this area. Pricey, but after not sleeping for 2 nights, we didn't care. The beach there was sandy. But we did see what looked like sharks circling near shore, right where we had been in one of those tiny rental sailboats.:eek1
  16. dezrat57

dezrat57 New River, Arizona

Oddometer:
    these responder's are freak shows....
    Rocky Point this time of year is PERFECT...
    weather is perfect...hotels...resturants....every amenity you could want..
    just do it..jus ride in..Relax..ride around..find a hotel...Relax..
    been going down on a bike weather
    riding or racing.....for 30+ years..
    san felipe is a shit hole!!!...
    jus rode 2700+ miles in Baja in feburary.....
    mexico is frendly
  17. AdventurePoser

Oddometer:
    LOL, very descriptive. I've been there!
  18. scudrunner

scudrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rocky Point isn't as bad as you might think. Most people speak some English and friendly. I usually camp at The Reef Campground which is north of the condos on the beach. It's more of an RV park but the owners are pretty good and will accommodate a biker with a tent. Each time I've stayed there I got a beach site which is a few dollars more but worth the views. The vendors who wander up and down the beach are a pain.

Food is plentiful and pretty cheap in RP. There is a Mexican restaurant on top of the hill with a great view at sunset. Another place to eat is a Pollo open air restaurant on the main road on the right before you get to town.

The town is pretty safe and the cops normally won't hassle you. The rule is lay off the Gringos it hurts the economy. The biggest problem in RP is petty thefts I think there has been only one American killed there in the last 15 years BUT I haven't been there since 2007 and haven't kept up with the news.
  19. AdventurePoser

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the dining tips...I am currently in Southern AZ and will probably go down just to check it out. Buy insurance and gas in Lukeville and then go down and camp for a couple of days
  20. scudrunner

scudrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Enjoy and have fun! Watch the loose sand and be safe.