WV Historical Markers - Let's Find All 700

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by pnoman, Nov 16, 2008.

1. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    I updated an earlier post (#21) on Page 2 to add photos of the Indian Burial Mound (well, sort of.... ) Interesting (and sad) story from the county historian.
  2. vatrader01

vatrader01 vatrader01

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marker is located on Leetown Road, Jefferson County WV at the intersection of Leetown Rd and Paynes Ford Road.

[​IMG]

General Adam Stephen is credited with founding the community of Martinsburg, WV, where he later moved. On a lessor known note, General Stephen was "cashiered" [sword broken, court martialed] for a friendly fire incident where his men fired upon General Anthony Wayne's troops. Seems General Stephen was drunk at the time of the advance. Against orders, he also instigated an attack on "Cliveden", the home of Benjamin Chew. These incidents happened during the Battle of Germantown, Germantown, PA.

[​IMG]

Following the Confederate retreat from Antietam, General Jeb Stuart and his staff made camp at The Bower, which at the time was the home of Stephen Dandridge. A horse bred at The Bower was given as a gift to General Lee to use when his primary mount, "Traveler," needed a rest. That horse was the well known "Lucy Long."
    The Bower remains in the Dandridge family.
  3. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Located southeast of Clarksburg about 15 miles along Rt 20 at the Harrison / Barbour Co line. Rt 20 is a great ride down to Buckhannon (and beyond).

[​IMG]
    Historical Marker located on Rt 20 at Harrison/Barbour Co line. This is southbound going into Barbour Co.

[​IMG]
    Opposite side of sign looking northbound into Harrison Co. Sorry I didn't get a perfectly straight shot at it, but I was keeping a little distance between me and the electric fence. :eek1

[​IMG]
    Again, looking south on Rt 20 into Barbour County. Nice, relaxing ride with good scenery.
  4. Tood

Tood Duc head

Oddometer:
    Dang, vatrader is kicking ass up in this part of the state. Believe it or not, I won a Golden Horseshoe in the 8th grade. Gov. Jay Rockefeller knighted me as such. I'm on a mission.
  5. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Welcome, Sir Tood. Congratulations on the Golden Horseshoe. :clap

Yeah, vatrader01 is a hard act to keep up with! I'm guessing his KLR has about a zillion miles on it already. Does he ever sleep?

Looking forward to more folks joining and contributing to our thread. Considering the weather the past month, I think we're doing pretty well. Thanks to all!
  6. Wingfixer

Wingfixer Watch this... Supporter

Oddometer:
    pnoman, how up to date is the chart of "found" markers? I have taken a few pic and know where some more are but don't want to duplicate effort. vatrader is hard to keep up with.
  7. vatrader01

vatrader01 vatrader01

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This marker is located in Kearneysville, WV at the intersection of RT 9 and Leetown Road, across from the Sheetz station.

[​IMG]

Travelers' Rest is located south of Kearneysville on Bower Road about a mile on the right. It is visible from Bower Road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Extensive rehabilitation has been performed on the main house. Other structures have become ruins with the exception of the spring house, which has been restored.

1956 photo:

[​IMG]

From Wikipedia:

Traveller's Rest is the home of General Horatio Gates. Gates and his family sailed from England to Virginia in 1772 and bought 659 acres on the Potomac River near Shepherdstown in what is now West Virginia. He built this limestone house and became a slave owner, a local justice, and a lieutenant colonel in the militia. In 1790, he sold the home, freed his slaves and moved to New York City.

This one will stand out for me. While putting this post together, I realized I had taken pictures of the wrong house! The archive photo did not look like what I had at all..So I ran back and checked...sure enough, I took pictures of the wrong house. I suspect that over the years some of these markers have been moved due to road construction, rerouting etc. Distances and directions from the markers to the sights they represent may vary...
  8. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    Well, I last updated on 29 Dec, so I think that takes us up to Post #84. However, vatrader01 is KILLING ME! :lol3 He's finding them and posting them faster than I can update the list. (I think it's part of a scheme to keep me too busy to grab the WV Tag-O-Rama :D )

I'll get off my lazy chair and try to get the list updated tonight. Thanks guys and gals!!
  9. vatrader01

vatrader01 vatrader01

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Located at the bridge on the same side as Shepherd College, directly across from the Bavarian Inn.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My bridge photo did not turn out.

[​IMG]

From Wikipedi

James Rumsey (1743-1792) was an American mechanical engineer chiefly known for exhibiting a boat propelled by machinery in 1787 on the Potomac River at Shepherdstown, now West Virginia, before a crowd of local notables, including Horatio Gates. A pump driven by steam power ejected a stream of water from the stern of the boat and thereby propelled the boat forwards.
    More about Mr. Rumsey in another marker located at Sir Johns Run.
  10. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    OK, I finished updating the Master List thru Post #107, but vatrader01 is STILL killing me! (He added one more while I was doing the updates :lol3 . ) Does he ever sleep???

I'm going to try to make a note by the link back in Post #1 with the last update day and post #. Hope that helps.

I'm outta here - gotta be at work at 6am. (after my 5-mile morning run)
  11. vatrader01

vatrader01 vatrader01

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Marker is at the intersection of German Street (West Virginia Route 230) and King Street (West Virginia Route 480), on the right when traveling west on German.

[​IMG]

Shepherd University began when the county seat of Jefferson County, West Virginia, was moved from Shepherdstown to Charles Town in July 1871. The people of Shepherdstown and vicinity decided to use the vacated courthouse for educational purposes. An article of incorporation for a school to be known as Shepherd University, designed to instruct students “in languages, arts and sciences,” was drawn up and signed by C.W. Andrews, A.R. Boteler, C.T. Butler, G.M. Beltzhoover, David Billmyer, Samuel Knott, and Henry Shepherd. This body of incorporators gave itself power to elect instructors, pay salaries, and prescribe courses of study. Professor Joseph McMurran was appointed first principal of the institution, which opened with 42 students in September 1871, under the authority of the Board of Trustees.
    On February 27, 1872, the Legislature of West Virginia passed the following act: “That a branch of the State Normal School be and the same is hereby established at the building known as Shepherd College, in Shepherdstown, in the county of Jefferson.”
    Shepherd became a four-year college for the training of teachers on July 1, 1930, at which time the institution began granting the bachelor of arts degree. Shepherd was authorized to implement liberal arts programs in 1943, and in 1950 the bachelor of science degree was added. Also in 1950 Shepherd was accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools and in 1951 it became a member of the Association of American Colleges.

April 2004, Shepherdstown College became known as Shepherdstown University. The school serves about 4200 students and is home to The Ruth Scarborough Library and The Gary Tyler Moore Center for the Study of the Civil War.

German Street, Shepherdstown, WV

[​IMG]
  12. vatrader01

vatrader01 vatrader01

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Marker is at the intersection of River Road (County Route 17/1) and Trough Road (County Route 31/1), along with two other markers.

[​IMG]

Known as Boteler's Ford, Blackford's Ford, Pack Horse Ford, and other names, the shallow crossing of the Potomac River less than a mile downstream from Shepherdstown, West Virginia, was used by travelers since Native American times.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The plaques about cover the available information on Pack Horse Ford.

At the banks, looking to the Maryland side of the Potomac. Facing northwest from the Pack Horse Run marker. There is similar marker on the Maryland side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some shots of the drive from Shepherdstown on River Road

[​IMG]

Cement Mill ruins
    [​IMG]

Furnace ruin
    [​IMG]

Building at the Cement Mill. If buildings could talk. The stories it could tell.

[​IMG]
  13. vatrader01

vatrader01 vatrader01

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Marker is on War Admiral Blvd. (West Virginia Route 9) 0.1 miles north of W. Burr Road, on the right when traveling south. Hard to see if you are not seeking it. Across from Burr Industrial park entrance.

[​IMG]

View of property from the railroad bed. The farm site sits to the rear of Burr Industrial Park, and is still owned by Burr descendants.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Jefferson County Historic Landmarks Commission has an interesting site describing the property and the ongoing restoration.

http://www.preservehistory.org/current_pburr.html

Undated archive photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It is claimed to be the oldest standing post and beam constructed house in West Virginia
  14. vatrader01

vatrader01 vatrader01

Oddometer:
    The marker is located in Jefferson County at the intersection of Flowing Springs Road (County Route 17) and County Route 17/2, between the intersection and the railroad tracks. Maps indicate the area known as Duffield, WV.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is nothing to indicate where the house is. The marker is on the lawn of a modern house.

To the north of this marker a few blocks you will find Elk Branch Presbyterian Church. On the lawn is another marker

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a bronze plaque monted on the small brick marker:

[​IMG]
  15. vatrader01

vatrader01 vatrader01

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Marker is in Darkesville, West Virginia, in Berkeley County on RT 11. Darkesville is between Bunker Hill and Inwood, WV.

Please see the preceeding post for other information on General William Darke.
  16. vatrader01

vatrader01 vatrader01

Oddometer:
    West Virginia has provided so much that I have enjoyed for so long, this "Motorsickle Marker Madness" is an easy, enjoyable means of giving a little back. It involves a lot of my favorite things--map study, weather study, history research, a little motorcycle maintenance, finding out who has good coffee and WIFI, and, best of all, a ride with a purpose. Not that I don't like an aimless ride. Most of my miles have been just that...aimless. This will get me into areas I have not ventured into before. I'm laying out some "2-dayers" for next summer. Looking on maps for places to camp, connecting twisty roads with historical markers.

The pnoman has taken on a significant undertaking, managing this collection of markers, passing information on to concerned agencies, and dealing with the collective that makes up ADVrider. If sentenced to this task by the courts, the ACLU would rise to his defense, claiming cruel and unusual punishment.

We ain't put a dent in this project yet. With over 700 of these signs sticking up all over the place, Stevie Wonder could get his limit by lunch.
  17. vatrader01

vatrader01 vatrader01

Oddometer:
    Harpers Ferry is about 60 miles from Washington D.C. The Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, closely following the Potomac River, once connected Harpers Ferry to Washington... and the railroad also came through the town. In addition to being a transportation hub, an important armory was located here. Meriwether Lewis arrived at this armory in 1803 looking to outfit the expedition he would lead with William Clark to the Pacific Ocean. Some 56 years later the abolitionist John Brown attempted to take this stockpile of weapons and spark a slave rebellion.. a spectacular start to what would turn out to be an eventful few years. Harper’s Ferry would change hands eight times in the course of the War of Northern Aggression.
    Located on the tongue of land where the Shenandoah and Potomac come together, the historic town was liable to flooding. Two washed out bridges stand in the river, now overgrown with plants and trees... mute testimonies to the power of flooding water. The lower part of the town... the historic town... is now maintained by the National Park Service, although a few hundred people still live a little higher up the hill.

Located in front of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy Headquarters,
    799 Washington Street, Harpers Ferry WV. The west facing inscription:

[​IMG]

This is on the east facing side of the same marker at the Appalachian Coservancy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pheee....didn't notice that little brown sign when I set the bike up for the photo.

Heading east on Washington St., several blocks and on the right is the Marker "Prize Of War"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continue east on Washington St., you will be heading down into old town.

[​IMG]

Follow Washington St. to Shenadoah Ave, and turn left. On the right, you will see John Brown's Fort.

[​IMG]

Turn left again onto Potomac, and see the Lewis and Clark marker on the right.

[​IMG]

This really is a small little burg...very few streets....and they all go two ways...up...or...down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This marker is located on Filmore St., in front of Storer College.

[​IMG]

Storer College

[​IMG]

On October 2, 1867, "Storer Normal School" was opened, and two years later, in December 1869, the federal government formally conveyed the Lockwood House and three other former Armory residences on Camp Hill to the school's trustees. Frederick Douglass served as a trustee of Storer College, and delivered a memorable oration on the subject of John Brown here in 1881.

In the Boliver Heights area of the National Park, on Bakerton Rd, this marker, "Union Skirmish Line" is on the right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By no means is this an adequate report on the significance of this community or its place in history. The National Park Service offers a very comprehensive walking tour of the area that details the places that impacted our history. While I usually avoid "touristy" places like a tax audit, this was worth the effort.
  18. pnoman

pnoman Just Average

Oddometer:
    I received an email from Mr. Joe Geiger, the man responsible for the WV Historical Markers at the WV Archives and History Dept. He has been updating their records with notes that I have been sending about discrepancies such as : signs that are listed as "Missing" but are in place, signs that are present that are not even included on their list, signs with different inscriptions, etc. There is a link to his office back on Post #1.

Hey Mike: I am making updates as you send them. Your work is making it much easier to determine which markers need to be replaced or refurbished. We currently have funding through Highways grants and legislative appropriations for the marker project and are looking to select 50 of the former and 100 of the latter, but our survey info is at least seven years old. Thanks to all involved for their efforts.

Best wishes,
    Joe Geiger
    West Virginia Archives and History

So, not only is this project fun and educational, it's helpful as well. I suggested to Mr. Geiger that perhaps in the spring, we could get all the ADV riders involved to do a photo shoot with Gov Manchin with our bikes on the steps of the State Capital (Yes, by the Historical Marker). Gov. Manchin is a biker, too. We'll see. :dunno

Thanks again to everyone involved!
  19. PABiker

PABiker Anywhere but here

Oddometer:
    Congrats, good work.:clap
  20. Wingfixer

Wingfixer Watch this... Supporter

Oddometer:
    And hopefully not my last. The first two vatrader already documented but I thought I would get them in a little better light. The third Marker was also found in Capon Bridge.

Border Marker viewed looking East into Virginia
    [​IMG]
    Same Marker looking West into West Virginia
    [​IMG]

Looking West:
    [​IMG]
    Looking East:
    [​IMG]