The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. meams

meams Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey all.

I'm lookin to get a bike for my short city commute, and for the occasional trek out to some trails. Rode as a kid but not as an adult, and am considering this as a good solid beginner DS. Was also considering the XR650L and Yamaha's WR250R.

I like the 250s for their size, but I would be taking the DS on the interstate to get to the mountains (live in the city), and am not sure I'd feel comfortable goin down 81 (2lanes, full of semi's, most doing ~75) on so few CCs.

Thoughts?
  2. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
  3. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's paper. Sticky.

Actually, it isn't. There are already two different systems for reprogramming the FI.
  4. RED1

RED1 yes it really is me

Oddometer:

Just about every honda has the locating pin for the switches, nothing new or "cheap" there, the grips do seem harder than normal and not what I would expect and the throttle pipe has its own part No. Same thing happened when the NX650 was made in Italy, hard grips!
  5. RED1

RED1 yes it really is me

Oddometer:
  6. joec63

joec63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Other than the first few miles when I left the dealership I've ridden it like I stole it.
  7. G19Tony

G19Tony Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How ever you do it. It will certainly be broken in by the time you get home! Good luck. :freaky
  8. strongbad

strongbad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The folks who have ridden both machines seem to favor the CRF250L over the KLX, specifically because of the suspension and lower ride height. So far, the most detailed comparison of the two machines on the web is on rideasia.net:

http://www.rideasia.net/motorcycle-...nda-crf-250-l-kawasaki-klx-250-shoot-out.html

So it seems that many others have a differing opionion. I agree with you about the foolishness of splittling this thread. The other thread had lots of useful information. Now folks interested in the CRF250L have to track two threads. Hopefully the moderators will merge the two.
  9. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not addressing anyone in particular, but what's the problem with two threads? :dunno I follow a lot of threads of several different forums. :huh I don't have a problem with the other thread; I still follow it. However, the other thread was centered on the anticipated introduction of the new bike, and speculation about its performance, specifications, et cetera. Now that the bike has arrived and many people own it, it only seems natural for this thread to concentrate on modifications, aftermarket support, et cetera. :deal

Spud :beer
  10. Downstater

Downstater Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I never baby a new bike but I also don't redline them and I try to vary rpms. I believe strongly in this method and have always had good results. I'd also suggest stopping a couple times on your ride so it can go through a couple thermal cycles.

To be honest it might be a better idea to just rent or borrow a truck and bring it home if it's that far away.

Either way good luck and enjoy. It's a great bike.
  11. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've seen that "test"...interesting but not really on par with a more objective magazine test. And remember, I'm talking more about potential on these DS bikes. More serious riders...or incessant tinkerers:lol3...rarely leave any bike in stock trim, much less OEM condition DS style bikes. I think I've already stated in other posts that the Honda will be more than adequate for most people who buy any bikes like the Honda, WRR, or KLX. But there is a decently large number of folks buying true DS bikes...not plated race models...who want to stretch these DS bikes to cover a wider variety of riding...even extending to some decently gnarly conditions. Even then, I haven't said you can't ride some decently gnarly terrain on the Honda, but I think from a truly analytical perspective it gives the suspension components on the WRR and KLX that edge I refer to. And to those willing to tweak what comes on these bikes, the WRR and KLX can be revalved to truly deliver some high quality suspension performance. They have cartridge forks and piggyback shocks that are rebuildable, tunable, and capable of on-the-fly adjustments. I'm under the impression that the Honda fork is a ported orifice damper and not cartridge...but that might be clarified later. The Honda's suspension components don't appear to have the delivered performance and certainly not the potential of the two other bikes.

I also have to admit I might have more a skewed result of suspension performance on my KLX because the '06/'07 models were 11". Still, the '09 and later models were just reduced in travel to lower seat height and didn't changed the suspension components in terms of the quality level...same KYB components as before with travel reduction.

What would be mouth-watering for me would be to see the Honda with a 10'-11' Showa or KYB fork and a Showa or KYB piggyback shock to match. While that may sound too far for some, the pages of ADV are full of similarly modded bikes of various kinds with many/most of them being DS style bikes. Just for example, there are quite a few KLX's running around with older KX forks attached...not a hard transition at all. But like I've said several times already, most people who buy any of these DS bikes won't head down a path anywhere close to what I'm describing and will therefore have no issue with any of these bikes or be disappointed. I find it interesting that a small few here would get their shorts in a wad by someone suggesting the "ultimate potential" of the Honda is a little less than the WRR and KLX because of the factors I've laid out here, but I realize opinion covers a great deal of perspective.
  12. joec63

joec63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not that it matters much but I've seen different specs for front wheel travel than on the Honda US site. Verified that the travel is closer to 10 in. (250mm) 9.8in to be exact.

http://www.hondamc2013.com/bikes/crf250l/
  13. bungie4

bungie4 Frostback

Oddometer:
    ... and so will his ass. A 1000km on that seat would require a Navy Seal, a shot of cortisone and a 303 orally fixated virgins waiting for you at the end in order to complete.
  14. joec63

joec63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Trying out my new AFX-39. Couldn't resist the Marpat camo!

[​IMG]
    Singlespeed92 likes this.
  15. Wargasm

Wargasm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, this is my first Honda, sounds like the pin locators are standard. Went for a 150km trail and fire road ride today and all the switch gear stayed in place so guess my tape method worked. On another note, if you need to adjust spring preload on the rear it's easiest to take the shock right out of the bike. This only requires removal of the top and bottom shock bolts and the rocker/frame pivot bolt. I tried the long punch and hammer method and only succeeded in mushrooming a couple adjuster notches in the lock ring. When it was out I had to use penetrating oils and a proper lock ring spanner which got severely bent in the process and needed straightening. Guess honda doesn't want us making suspension adjustments.
  16. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice shot, you liking the helmet?
  17. joec63

joec63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, nice helmet, Impressed for the price. Wasn't sure I would like the quick release connector but I do.
  18. Earthscape

Earthscape Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer:
    Good to know. I was wondering why the US version had neutered front travel.
    Apparently the marketing department doesn't know that lots of potential buyers scrutinize numbers like these to no end when making a decision on which bike to buy.
  19. strongbad

strongbad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A better question is why more than one thread to follow the same subject? Are folks interested in this bike not allowed to comment unless they are owners? And if so, why? Why not 15 threads all tracking the same subject? All bike-specific threads follow the same progression: the press announcement, discussion between those who dig it and those that don't, then as the bikes start coming in, the discussion turns to problems and solutions, mods, etc. That's a natural progression. There's no need to start multiple threads to cover the same subject.
  20. joec63

joec63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Of course not. Are we making a mountain out of a mole hill ...jeez louise. The word owners has been used multiple times in thread headings in the past so it's not like it set some precedent.