Another Natl Monument in Utah !!

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by dmac1, Nov 20, 2012.

1. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
    What did it say was there an error? Is anyone else not able to sign it?

Should I just make the email optional or is that adding some authenticity to the petition????
  2. Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Seemed to work for me. Just signed. Is there some way to get this issue and our attempts to fight it out to the other regional forums? Seems a lot of people from all over use this area at one time or another. At least it will make them aware that this crap could be in their back yard some day soon. Then they may be needing our help.
  3. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    Yes, many of us from other states frequently go to this area that is under threat. I'm even a COHVCO member due to CO riding trips. These people pushing these agendas are never satisfied, so it seems. I added my name to the petition.
  4. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    Done
  5. SugarDust

SugarDust Kulia i ka nu'u

Oddometer:
    petition 'signed' letter sent -
  6. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
  7. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    It is too bad we don't have a way here on ADV to contact all 180,000+ members and let them know what's up.

I'd imagine if these companies were to receive a petition with 100,000+ signatures on it.. they'd shit bricks and give their stance some real thought.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Glad to see Nemo http://www.nemoequipment.com/ has kept their priorities straight, stayed off of there and realize even though they sell to the backpacking crowd they also sell to the moto crowd.

They are a HUGE sponsor of the Backcountry Discover Routes http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/Sponsors
    and their 25" wide 3" tall insulated Cosmo Air http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/...ulated-Inflatable-Sleep-Pad-w-integrated-pump kicks butt over the Exped
    (which is on this list!!!) Downmatt.

Plenty ADVrs use Exped and i'm sure they'd love to know their pad mfg. is against what they love to do.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Red Wing Shoes
    Red Wing, MN
    Bill Sweasy
    Chairman/CEO

don't get this at all???
    Red Wing boots are the hard working mans boots not wilderness back packing boots. Plenty of guys ride in Red Wings

...oh wait same (parent?) company also makes Vasque
    http://www.vasque.com/

I'm sure the Red Wing portion of the company is gonna hear an earfull about putting their name on that list.
    also the heritage boots and hunting boots don't vibe at all either.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Bryce Valley KOA
    Kampground
    Cannonville, UT
    John Holland
    Owner

???
    this guy completely caters to the large vehicle/RV/jeep/moto crowd.
    the backcountry crowd does not stay at KOA at all.
    this guy is really confused on who his target market is.
  11. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    The vast majority of the WRT is already in Canyonlands. I could well be wrong but I assume that if all this new land were included in Canyonlands, then the current restrictions of Canyonlands would apply to the entire new NM.

For us this mainly means that you have to be street legal to ride any of the roads like you do now for the WRT. Some worse fallout would probably be that lots of minor roads and trails would be completely closed.

I assume most of the new land is now Forest Service or BLM. As such there theoretically should have been travel management plans created for it in the past few years that formally limit riding to specific roads and trails. This is enough of a catastrophe IMHO.
  12. duct tape

duct tape Lost

Oddometer:
    Support this idea 100%.

A simple link could email all of these companies. It would take some work to build the database however.
  13. singletrackslayer

singletrackslayer Legalize singletrack

Oddometer:
    signed the petition, up to 16 now. WTF?

Well, get him(her?) on the horn and make this happen!

side note- i was about to purchace $2500 in new ski gear, but now i have to find new sources. At least i dont have to go skiing at aspen anymore. whew!
  14. Signal

Signal it's such a fine line between stupid and clever

Oddometer:
    There seems to be a great deal of local confusion about what the "monument status" would be- It appears that in teh marketing, the limited access, "human powered only" has been overlooked.

Camp Chef, many others on the list are not for walk in campers
  15. whitewater18

whitewater18 funhog

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised the mountain bike crowd would support this. Don't they realize that monument, or even wilderness designation means "no mechanical means" on the trails.

With the National Parks Service funding being cut, how would NPS administer this new monument? Or would NPS just close it as they have purposed for other parks. The size of this area would be very hard (expensive) to administer. Maybe Obama should just give it to the Chinese to run since he would have to borrow the $$ from them to operate it.

This monument proposal makes absolutely no practical sense....
  16. Pariahtize

Pariahtize Misrepresented

Oddometer:
    Very possible.
  17. Pariahtize

Pariahtize Misrepresented

Oddometer:

Similar to Escalante (and others), many of the existing, well-established roads and routes would be closed. You won't see the full side effects until after the the proposal is enacted and the NM in place. Some of the roads will remain open, and they will build (and pave) new ones too (for the RV'ers and road-side gawkers). That said, there won't be any trail riding or sand riding (White Wash) or slickrock riding. . . and most of the roads to these areas would be closed to access anyway. Of course, there will be plenty of roads open only to "Administrative Access", so that they can drive on them, you know, to keep us in check.

As Pelosi once said, "you'll have to pass it to see what's in it" (ref to Obamacare).
    :deal
  18. COXR650L

COXR650L Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. doc_ricketts

doc_ricketts Thumper jockey

Oddometer:
    I still think that the only way to head off this action is to get Jon Huntsman, Jr. involved. Our community is much smaller than the absolute greenies who are behind this movement. Huntsman knows his stuff and has strong connections to the current administration. He could give a good outline of the action and the reasons it is garbage. Here is his Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/jonhuntsmanjr
  20. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Make that #17 signature