mexico vehicle importation

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Tom Blum, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Tom Blum

Tom Blum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am planning to spend the month of February in Oaxaca. I planned to take my Van with my Kawa 250 on a rear rack. I have insurance on both.
    I just caught a phrase "only one vehicle per person is allowed" AY Chichuahua!!

Does anyone know if this is fact?? or can I continue as planned and check through the border without major problems.

Since I leave Saturday, a quick reply from a knowledgeable person would be greatly appreciated.

Tom
  2. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I don't know Shit from Shinola, but here is your quick reply. What I do know is that you can import both vehicles on one TVIP with a catch. That 250 won't technically be allowed on the road.

Why? Like you likely could have caught from earlier posts especially in the Is Mexico Safe? thread, your van will have it's full VIN listed, that bike will only have a partial VIN listed. This is pursuant to the stipulation that only one road vehicle is allowed per TVIP. The bike would be considered a recreational vehicle. Essentially, the officiales will be letting you bring it in as an off-road bike.

The two indicators to you and to those officials who care that the bike is not allowed on the road are (1) the truncated VIN, and (2) the fact that it isn't appearing on its very own TVIP. The fact that it's listed on the "primary" TVIP for a vehicle with a fully listed VIN is the big tag.

Having said all of this. Would I bring the bike into Mexico as described and then ride it on the road? jajajajja ask me that over a tequila. Your bike is plated, right? And nobody I know is putting their bike's TVIP on the windscreen anymore. We're all keeping them in the tank bag or pannier. So your bike won't stand out because you don't have a TVIP sticker on it. Roadside inspections? Let's just say that last week, when I returned, I completed a trip where I didn't see even a military checkpoint going north. Could you be waived over by the Federal Police? Sure. Would they check your TVIP? In theory they might. It's your call. I think the chances are slim you would be caught. IMHO you would be taking a small, calculated risk riding a "secondary vehicle" on the highways. I think you would get away with it, but hey, you heard the disclaimers.

[​IMG]
    ErikMotoMan likes this.
  3. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
    Mexican insurance is a requirement.....can you buy it for the mainland without the TVIP?

IF, and I would say it again, IF anything goes wrong, do you realize what you could lose.........the TVIP is a credit card charge that is not processed for a period of time and refunded when you leave......
  4. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
    No experience but google search found this:
    http://www.mexperience.com/guide/essentials/transport/driving-in-mexico.php

These are paragraphs that apply;
    NOTE THE EXCEPTION
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
    One Vehicle Per Eligible Person

Only one vehicle can be imported into Mexico per person. If you are traveling with your spouse or child over 18, they may each register one car in their name.

There is one exception to the one-person, one-car rule: if you tow a car behind your RV, there is no need for second person to be traveling with you; but you must show proof of ownership for both vehicles, and both vehicles must be taken out of the country together when you leave.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________

Motorcycles, ATVs, etc.

If you are towing or carrying other single-passenger motorized vehicles these may be registered with the car that is towing or carrying them. You must show proof of ownership of all vehicles and you can only bring up-to three single-passenger vehicles--one each for up to three passengers traveling in the main vehicle. All vehicles must be exported together when you leave Mexico.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________

Like most "Offical" crap I'm still confused but the Exception says you should be able to haul in your moto.
    Make sure you have "Origional" registration, not a copy.
    I almost did not get in with my copy ( I assured her it was an "Origional Copy" and she said OK this one time only) Whew !

Enjoy Oaxaca.
    Spent a week there last March after reading Triceplolts Ride Report (check it out in his signature line).
    Good luck
    Safe Travels
  5. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Mexico specific liability insurance is now a requirement**, I don't ride Mexico without it.

Buying Mexico-specific insurance has nothing to do with obtaining the TVIP.

Referring to the OP question and keeping it in that context, the [insert personal risk calculation adjective here] risk one takes riding a "recreational vehicle" listed as the secondary on a primary vehicle TVIP on the highways is not forfeiture of the bike's TVIP deposit, it's impoundment of the bike itself.

**This may vary by individual Mexico state. There are 31 states and the Federal District. I don't keep up with all their laws, especially since I blanket cover my bike anyway, on every trip.
  6. Tom Blum

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys. I'm feeling better about this.

Regards "can you buy insurance for two vehicles" The answer is Yes. I purchased insurance for the Van and the bike from an online agent. Copperstate is the insurance company. I think the agency was AJO. One of the top three hits with a Google search

$118.55 each for 6 months coverage. The daily rate for 1 1/2 months was much more.
  7. Tom Blum

Oddometer:
    My stay in Oaxaca is almost over. At the border, when I nodded after the agent said something about "mountains/Montaign" I was able to get the two vehicles in on one sticker on the Van windshield.

No questions or problems after clearing the border.
    Virtually none of the bike I have seen here (100's even 1000's) have tags at all. No one has asked about insurance.

Of course, I've been in school and used it very little. Had I known, I wouldn't have bothered to bring it.

The rear rack and topes do not get along. I'm going to store it inside the van for the return trip.
  8. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    A great place to go, eh?
    :thumb
  9. locobiker

locobiker n00b

Oddometer:
    what do you mean by blanket cover your bike , thank

10. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    You do know this thread is over two years old ?
  11. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    See below

:lol3 - well, credit is given to locobiker for doing his research

Had to update my old post to indicate the requirement to carry at minimum liability insurance. In the past, carrying this was a "good idea", now, it's mandatory.

locobiker, "blanket coverage" is meant to say carrying both liability coverage and maximum motorcycle damage/theft insurance.

These days, I'm always reminding people of the many benefits they don't even know they have when they buy Mexico motorcycle insurance and add Platinum Plus to the package. When selecting insurance, read the details on what is offered and don't be so quick to save $15 or so when so many benefits can be had so cheaply.
  12. Rubinski

Rubinski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. Rubinski

Oddometer:
    In September My brother in-law drove to Oaxaca, stayed there for a month and left his car there and flew back home. The plan was to fly back in November to pick up the car. We then went on our bikes to Mexico the state of Sinaloa. I was able to get a permit in Sonora for my bike but he could not get one for his since he already had a permit for the car he left in Oaxaca.
  14. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    That's right. You have to bring both in one entry. I rode to La Paz and couldn't get on the ferry because I 'already had a bike in Mexico' which I didn't but I hadn't cancelled my TVIP on another bike. It was over 2 years out of date. They never charged me a penalty not one cent. They did not take the $400. I went to Tijuana and showed them paperwork the bike was stolen in USA and that was that. The personnel could not have been more helpful...on A Sunday too. A clerk held both me and my Mrs hand literally held our hands....and walked us to all the correct windows......not one cent changed hands.
  15. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Well of course they didn't charge you a penalty after the fact ("over 2 years out of date"), simply because the penalty does not consist of a credit card or cash charge after TVIP expiry, it is loss of deposit already paid, no matter how you paid it, credit charge or cash. This is why it's known as a bond. The penalty is forfeiture of said bond.

I'm willing to bet you simply lost your entitlement to deposit refund on your credit card upon the expiration date of the not-turned-in TVIP. It already being a sunk cost (charged at the time of issuance) you most likely forgot about it. You obviously didn't bond with cash because I would think the fate of a forfeited cash deposit wouldn't be lost on anybody.

Good on you for orchestrating a new TVIP via the stolen bike explanation. But I'm not at all surprised they didn't charge you a penalty for the old TVIP in the process, because that's not how it works. That money, your original bond, was already long gone.

Of course, I'm not saying you're wrong here...what do I know, and I may have mis-read your post...BUT I am saying that I'm willing to make a bet. :augie
    severely likes this.
  16. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    COOL. Bet ya! It was two TVIP's as well, both mine and Colleen's. Both BMW R1100RSL's. We deposited $400 EACH on the bikes....$800..........if you knew Colleen you'd know she'll miss a dollar on our finances! $800?! (It seems we DID NOT post a bond back then....see later posts) I don't recall right now where we entered, rode to Puerto Vallarta to her Uncles condo, stayed a while, rode back and left through Nuevo Laredo (for a run up to Austin and visit a sister) without stopping at the border...just rode right out at 10pm in the evening.
    Colleen rode her red RSL (which we STILL have) to Tijuana OVER two years later and showed it the Officials and I took my stolen bike paperwork. Everyone was as nice as could be. Now you got to figure this was what? 10 years ago now.
    Only problem we had was coming back to USA! We lost a fellow rider in the traffic, so after we got through the border we stopped to call him and almost got arrested for using a phone! They detained us for one hour. Lots of threats and gesturing, which doesn't work well on me...so I continued to argue and plead our ignorance...who knew you can't use a phone? No signs. A big fat female Border Guard 'threatened' to arrest me. "Hey" I said.."it won't be he first time go for it"...and put out my hands for handcuffs. Then she said "we can keep you here for a long time"...I just started laughing......and told her "we retired last year and have been basically hanging around places either riding or sitting by our motorcycles for 12 months.....can we pitch a tent or will you give us a room?" It all started when Fatty strutted up and shouted at Colleen for using her phone and I was feeling protective of her. I just said "OK, no need to shout we didn't know"...then Fatty went on and on and on...so I joined in........I was born to argue. Like now. I'm not a happy gambler though as I often lose. BUT this time I'm a winner...I'll bet you a cup of coffee we didn't pay the deposit or one cent.
    It's not my first rodeo. I took a vehicle to Honduras in 1976, pre-computer. All I had was a stamp in my passport (UK passport then). I sold the vehicle in Puerto Cortez....never heard another thing. We've been south MANY times since. Even made it to TDF once (Never paid one fine, one mordida all the way, two bikes, me and the Mrs.)
    Have I paid EVER? Sure it cost me $20 once in Tijuana for doing 15 mph down a side street. A cop took my license plate off my car after we stopped and I had to buy it back. I taped it in the rear window after that.
  17. Rubinski

Oddometer:
    Everything in Mexico is a money making scam my friend! Its the poor who suffer.
  18. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    This is so untrue.
    There are lots of money making scams in the USA, perhaps more than any other Country in the World.
    Cal and Tricepilot like this.
  19. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm getting confused:(
    We Need to clarify things on THIS thread regarding Tuckers not getting penalized for failure to cancel the two TVIP, We don't want to confuse any more new readers .

In another thread it was pointed out correctly ( I think by Eakins, but now I can't locate it to quote ) that the TVIP Security Deposit feature was only begun in January 2012 , five years ago now. True indeed . ( I mentioned that in my own trip notes for a visit to Mexico that same month ) . Now Tuckers tells us his two TVIP in question were issued about TEN years ago - so that means that there was no deposit put down . Memories are being mixed up . Ergo when he went back two years later there was no deposit to forfeit and Banjercito saw no reason to make more hassel because of the " proof " that the bikes were no longer in Mexico , very nice of them.

It would not surprise me if the US also begins charging something like a TVIP deposit someday-( but non refundable....:devildog ) to help Mexico pay for "the wall "
    akaDigger likes this.
  20. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    There you go then. There was no deposit to forfiet I guess. We did put down deposit on our last trip with TVIP.... we are careful to cancel now!