Tucson Area Bulletin Board:

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by russbryant, Jan 22, 2009.

1. wrysingfeenix

wrysingfeenix Dust off those ashes

Oddometer:
    Sent a PM.
  2. Hipster-Dufus

Hipster-Dufus Swim the East River

Oddometer:
    Sure! Going solo thus far and I can leave or meet you anywhere around town. I live Northwest but Arivaca can be reached by heading South on I-19.

p.m. me and we'll set something up

Anyone's invited for this slab ride!

tom
  3. Dave JP

Dave JP BRP Rider

Oddometer:
    McCain Loop is one of the reasons I moved to Tucson in 1990 (from Santa Monica, CA). I camped on the Loop in '86, and realized the Sonoran Desert is one of the most unique places in the world.

I rode through the Loop a few weeks ago, and it has certainly changed. The big, "unimproved" dirt camping areas have been "improved," and lot sizes are quite a bit smaller. It's still a cool spot to cruise through, though. It would be cooler to stay a few nights there and just enjoy the silence and sounds of the desert.

Thinking about it, this might be a nice spot for local riders to use as a base camp for a night or two. The riding surrounding the place is outstanding for ADV bikes.

Ok, I'm rambling on....

Dave
  4. Dave JP

Dave JP BRP Rider

Oddometer:
    The campground within the McCain Loop is Gilbert Ray. The mind is the first thing to go.....

Dave
  5. Hipster-Dufus

Oddometer:
    I've gone through the loop and have had a desire to camp at Gilbert Ray. I live near I-10 and Ina so any chance I have, I take the long way home through Gates Pass and back up Picture Rocks. Sweet.

tom
  6. ywr969

ywr969 Ye Wilde Ryder

Oddometer:
  7. Low Down

Low Down ADV Misfit

Oddometer:

Sorry, but I will not be able to swing the 22nd. I have really been wanting to explore the area in the Patagonia Mountains and Canelo Hills (and all in between), though I won't do it solo... some years back I was returning from a service call in Lochiel when some illegals tried to create a road block and stop my vehicle. :huh Crazy stuff...
  8. Hipster-Dufus

Oddometer:
    Airforce Dirt and I are meeting at On Any Moto tomorrow at 11pm to do this slab run, of which I haven't travelled before. If anyone else is interested, post up.

I'm thinking it will last a max of 3 hours so there's still time to spend with you sig other...

hip aka tom
  9. wrysingfeenix

Oddometer:
    and I'm going to take a ride from Green Valley to Cafe Aribac tomorrow. I should be there about noon; about the time you should be in the vicinity with your departure time/location. To paraphrase Buddy Guy "Start me talkin', I'll tell everything I know"..about rides in the vicinity. I'm a greybeard on a white R1100GS.
  10. Hipster-Dufus

Oddometer:
    Sounds good to me! Never been to Arivaca, but I've herd of the Aribac. There may be three of us that arrive. I'll be on a 990adv wearing what seems to be the largest Scorpion helmet known to man:eek1

tom
  11. wrysingfeenix

Oddometer:
    It's the best stretch of twisties within 100+ miles of Tucson, IMHO. It deserves to be ridden modestly the first couple times to get a sense of what's around the next curve or over the next rise. Or what's over and around the next curve on the next rise. There's also a couple cow guards right in the middle of sweeping curves to be mindful of.

The bike "crowd" will probably be particularly modest tomorrow because it's supposed to be chilly and the fair-weather bikers will stay home. :D

Hope to see you there.
  12. AirForceDirt

AirForceDirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And I'll be the power ranger with the funny white shoei on the bat-bike..aka my semi-pimped 1150R. (The power ranger is what my coworkers say me in my roadcrafter reminds them of.)

Just got my playlist for the ride set up. I've got about 4.5 hours of music ready for twisty and scenic roads.
  13. OlCoot

OlCoot I may have to grow older

Oddometer:
    If you have room for one more I'll meet you at On Any Moto.
  14. AirForceDirt

AirForceDirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What will be ye noble steed and battle garb?
  15. Hipster-Dufus

Oddometer:
    Sure!! Let us know what your riding so we can spot you. Thus far we have a Bimmer 1150R and a Katoom 990adv.

tom
  16. Kbike

Kbike Mountain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hipster,
    I'll meet you guys at On Any Moto, but I won't be riding with you today. I'll be on a 990.
  17. OlCoot

OlCoot I may have to grow older

Oddometer:
    I'll bring the GSA and have the biggest helmet tha Arai makes
  18. johnlt

johnlt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sent you a PM
  19. Snuffy

Snuffy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can make it if you plan to leave very early. Got to be home by 2:30.
  20. Hipster-Dufus

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all those that joined today's ride. The Arivaca ride is beautiful! Thanks to Phoenix for meeting us at the cafe and giving us some good ride tips - that's one well kept gs you got.

Hip - aka Tom