2006 990 Adventure and TUNEECU

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by ddorrons, Apr 8, 2011.

1. ddorrons

ddorrons Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First off I would like to start out by saying that I have read the 37 pages of the TUNEECU related thread TuneECU for 990 - got tunes?. I am impressed by the amount of information that there is and of its value. I understand most of the technical parts but when it turns into electrical stuff I sort of get lost. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    The purpose of this thread is to organize the information regarding TUNEECU and a specific KTM Model; 2006 KTM 990 Adventure (I believe it is the European version since the first 990 adventure in the U.S was 2007). With the information gathered I will attempt to fix my bike which has been portraying several issues which I have not been able to solve since in the city where I live there is no KTM Dealer and the closest one is an 8 hour drive away. I would like to organize the thread in the following manner:<o:p></o:p>
    1. TuneECU<o:p></o:p>
    a. How to connect the bike physically to the computer. (Pictures are greatly appreciated).<o:p></o:p>
    i. What parts do I have to disassemble?<o:p></o:p>
    ii. Which is the connector of the bike?<o:p></o:p>
    iii. What Fuses do I have to remove?<o:p></o:p>
    iv. Does the bike have to be turned on?<o:p></o:p>
    b. How to connect TUNEECU to the Bike (this section is mostly answered in their website.)<o:p></o:p>
    c. Running diagnosis.<o:p></o:p>
    i. Determining what the heck is wrong with my bike.<o:p></o:p>
    d. Mapping<o:p></o:p>
    i. Saving the Current Map<o:p></o:p>
    ii. Finding the right Map for my bike (it has a BMC Air Filter and AKRAS EVO without dB killers)<o:p></o:p>
    iii. Updating the map.<o:p></o:p>
    iv. Opening and closing secondary butterflies<o:p></o:p>
    v. Canceling O2 Sensors<o:p></o:p>
    1. How to<o:p></o:p>
    2. Can I just cancel them software wise or do I have to make any physical modifications?<o:p></o:p>
    Once I get most of the information I will try it myself and do a Picture recorded process which I then intend to convert into some sort of easy to follow summary for the KTM 990 Adventure 2006 and for whatever models it can apply.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I appreciate your help guys, its been almost a month and I have not been able to ride the bike due to its condition. After I get through the TuneEcu part I will start asking mechanical questions as well since I first want to try to diagnose the problem. As for myself I will contribute with the summarizing of the processes and create the required documents for future generations, which I hope none experience the same issues. <o:p></o:p>
  2. PowerCell

PowerCell Manufacture Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. ddorrons

ddorrons Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. PowerCell

PowerCell Manufacture Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:

That's OK, you need to read and fully understand the software before you try hooking it up. You'll be a TuneECU pro before you know it...

5. ddorrons

ddorrons Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Powercell, I've read the manual several times and think I am ready to at least diagnose the bike. I just need to know where the connector on the bike is. Do I have to take the tanks down?
  6. jetpoweredmonkey

jetpoweredmonkey Copilot: GSD Sharpe

Oddometer:
    There is already a big long thread for TuneECU in this forum, you'd be better off posting there.

The instructions for TuneECU are good, but they don't really point out where the connector is actually located. There is one connector up underneath the "glove box"/fuse panel (if you remove it from the tanks), that's not the one. Dunno what that one's for.

The one you are looking for lives under the seat. Take out the tool kit and remove two 7mm head screws that secure the rear of the ABS pump cover. Take off the cover and you will find the 6-pin Sumitomo plug you are looking for. You will have to fish it out of the little box it lives in next to the ABS pump. Then remove the dust cap and plug on your adapter cable.
  7. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    ddorrons

I took a couple photos for you before i buttoned mine up today.

Hope they help some....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. ddorrons

ddorrons Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dusty and Jetpoweredmonkey, thank you for all the info. Found the connector easily after your explanation. Connected the bike and ran the diagnostics. I will post pictures later. It gave me the error code P0113 which indicates that the Air Temperature Sensor is yielding high values (short circuit), I went ahead and ordered a new one hoping the problem is at the sensor. I also found out the bike had the Akra Map with the O2 sensors disabled, which explains why after I put on the Akra Evos (it was bought second hand with the OEM Exhaust, meaning the previous owner had the aftermarket exhaus and did not sell them to me) fuel consumption improved. I will go ahead and explain the symptons of the bike and what I have done to try to solve them.

Symptons:
    1. the bikes stalls everytime I press the clutch, if the throttle is at 0.
    2. After riding with sympton 1 for a while the bike accelerates by itself to 3000-4000 rpm.
    3. The battery died.
    4. Very high fuel consumption avg 28 mpg.

What I have done so far:
    1. Replaced the battery (found out it had a yuasa ytx9-bs) for a YUASA YTZ14S. This did not solve symptons 1 nor 2.
    2. Diagnosed with TUNEECU - Error Code P0113, bought the sensor, waiting for it to arrive.

What I am thinking of doing:
    1. Upload new maps for testing:
    a. enable 02 sensors in the Akra Map, leave secondary butterflies as is.
    b. Secondary butterflies Open all the time Map, O2 Sensors Enabled.
    c. O2 Sensors Disabled, Secondary Butterflies Open.

I am hoping that the new sensor solves the issues. I have not been able to ride the bike for a long period of time without having a problem. I know it is a second hand bike and I am doing the fixer uppers that the previous owner obviously neglected. If you have any comments please let me know.
  9. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    You will get that error when you disconnect that sensor, its the one on top of the air box... so if you started the bike with the top of the airbox off it will throw that code..

1st off get the TPS set correct at .6 volts then balance the TBs, then i would try down loading the Arka map and see how it goes... small changes is the way i would go after your problem, so you know what is helping and what does not..

going riding now its 67 deg here, i will check back after dark..

Scott
  10. jetpoweredmonkey

jetpoweredmonkey Copilot: GSD Sharpe

Oddometer:
    I agree with Dusty, my ECU threw that code when I had the airbox off to do the TB sync. Cancel your order, that sensor is not likely to be your problem. You can clear the code and run the bike to see if it comes back if you want to see if it's really a bad sensor. Mine ran fine without it (in the driveway).

I would have a good hard look at the TuneECU test screen and see what kind of sensor readings the bike is putting out. With the symptoms you describe as well as the PO's bodges, I would sure pull off the tanks and have a good look at the vacuum lines and wiring before I started messing with tunes. If the bike is accelerating to 3000RPM all by itself, it is probably down to either a grossly misadjusted TPS, or you have a hose hanging loose somewhere from a poorly executed SAI-ectomy or canisterectomy.

Also FYI, the O2 sensors are disabled by default for the Akra maps (all years). It might not be a bad plan just to go back to the base, stock map for your bike and see how it works, even though you have the aftermarket pipes. Start there (after a thorough inspection, TB sync, TPS adjustment) and see how she runs. Make sure you download and save the map you have now before you change anything.

And finally, in my limited experience so far, forget about the 2nd throttles as a tuning aid or explanation for running problems. Powercell claims they are for noise abatement only and I am inclined to believe that. But it would be a good plan to verify that they are operable - run the diagnostic test and visually verify that they are working.
  11. teti

teti especie en extincion ®

Oddometer:
    in my previous S I spend the same it was by having disconnected sensor and give contact, after delete it worked right, I do not think is desirable to change it, try deleting says Dusty, greetings

en mi anterior S me paso lo mismo era por haber desconectado el sensor y darle contacto, luego de borrarlo funcionaba correcto, no creo sea conveniente cambiarlo, prueba borrando como dice Dusty, saludos
  12. ddorrons

ddorrons Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys. Thank you all for the info. Since the bike started portraying the problems I thought it might be related to TPS but I have not found the adequate information on how to diagnose/test it and adjust it accordingly. Can this be done through TUNEECU? Could you guys help me out with info regarding both TBs and TPS. Thank you!
  13. ddorrons

ddorrons Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Attached you will find the first reading done with TUNEECU. What do you guys see that might help me identify and solve the problem? The reading was done with the bike off, only the switch in the on position and no headlight fuse.

Attached Files:

14. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your TPS is way off.. look under the throttle heading, it should read .6v when fully warmed up.

You could get it close by setting it cold by adjusting it to .66v typo fixed
  15. teti

teti especie en extincion ®

Oddometer:
    two things not adjusted throttle cable? try to make the reset of 15 minutes and then back to test it

dos cosas el cable de acelerador no esta ajustado? prueba hacer el reseteo de 15 minutos y luego vuelve a testearlo
  16. ddorrons

ddorrons Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dusty.. If it is not too much to ask, can you help me with instructions or a step by step guide as to how to calibrate the TPS.
  17. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

from the other thread.. how you get to that torx screw is up to you, you can see the readings in the map edit page or the diagnostic page.

as i showed in the pics i posted i drilled a hole in the side of the airbox to get to it...
  18. ddorrons

ddorrons Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dusty. Thank you once again. So basically with the throttle in 0 position i should move the torx screw until I get the desired Voltage? And then take the reading for the throttle at 100%? Should the bike be on or off? According to the image which is the value I have to check, green, black, blue or red?

Thank You

Attached Files:

19. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    throttle at zero... yes

ok the .76 reading is the TPS voltage, if you are going to adjust it cold that value should be .65 or .66 should get you close to the .6 that is recommended when the bike is fully up to temperature.

Loosen the bolt just enough so you can move the TPS, move it only a small amount with the ignition on motor off with TuneECU open and hooked up to the bike.

After you get to the correct voltage, you need to run the 15 idle. Run the bike for 15 on the centerstand do not touch the throttle, when 15 is up shut off the bike.

Then check with TuneECU... You should check the volts and you should see your throttle opening go from 0 to 96 percent..
  20. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will try to be a little more clear on my answer for you.

The torx screw holds the TPS sensor, loosen screw and the the TPS will swivel up or down to get the correct reading.

No, take the reading with the throttle closed.

The bike ignition has to be on and connected to get a voltage reading... as your bike warms up the TPS voltage will come down, that why i gave the the 2 different values for the volts.

Red is the TPS voltage

The box in yellow should go to 0 and 96% at full throttle after you do the 15 reset.

You really need to spend more time to with the software to understand what your looking at... You can screw things up in a big way if your not sure what your doing...