Anyone running a GPR steering sabilizer?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by TBob, Oct 13, 2011.

1. TBob

TBob Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer:
    If so how do you like it?
  2. Ron Peck

Ron Peck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well have you?
  3. TBob

TBob Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer:
    nope that's why I'm asking. I saw they now make one for my 09 GSA

4. Ron Peck

Ron Peck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm headed for Baja in January and would like to hear any feedback. I have a 09 GS as well and have not had it in deep sand as yet. I've had a steering stabilizer on most of my dirt bikes. (I hate deep sand!!):puke1
  5. TBob

TBob Offroad Fab Guy

Oddometer:
    I emailed them and asked about the mounting. The kit comes with lower bar mounts the raise the bars 3/4"
    Here are some pics of the mounting set-up they sent me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. Raven Rider

Raven Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like the BMW tank bag won't fit. I like my tank bag "the dealer gave it to me" so it looks like a Hyer Pro stabilizer for my GSA
  7. AK_Wiley

AK_Wiley I'm LOST

Oddometer:
    Good point. I didn't think about the tank bag not fitting...
  8. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've a Hyperpro and really like it.

Mike
  9. JRMSR

JRMSR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like mine, just put on last month, had to use hydraulic press at work to take out old stem and put their stem in,
    Had to find 7mm allen wrench, for their bolts, one in the whole STATE (G)

their bar supports are slightly higher not more than 1/2" cannot notice difference. I like the way GPR mounts, slick, out of the way, high quality. I don't see how it would interfere with a tank bag, unless bag made of steel.

I am not doing hard off road, however it helps in soft dirt/gravel, and I like it on the highway, I can relax more knowing the steering is dampened. I run it pretty high dampening when on Interstate.

otherwise its not a huge necessity. It will help when tire fades/wheel/tire out of balance, bearings start to go.
  10. BigDaveSr

BigDaveSr It’s All Good

Oddometer:
    I have one on my ZX-14 and it works miracles. I have also been thinking about putting on on the GSA.
  11. rallyeboy

rallyeboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ralle-Moto makes one for the R1200gs. It is a nice setup. I have one on order and hope to have it soon. Here is a link to it.... http://www.rallemoto.com/contents/en-us/d23.html. I have read somewhere that there is enough clearance to use a tankbag with this setup. They are on the expensive side....around $700.
  12. Undermoose

Undermoose Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Hyperpro.

I really don't like the idea of messing with the stearing stem for the top mounted options.

Hyperpro is working great on my 2012 GS.
  13. scooteraug02

scooteraug02 Dog Rancher

Oddometer:
  14. DualMule

DualMule Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Hyperpro on my '09 GSA, but had the pleasure of driving a 800gs with the ralle-moto kit. The RM is far superior and worth the price difference (though I bought my new Hyperpro kit here in the fleamarket for $150).

While my opinion is that any steering damper is an improvement when riding offroad, the RM kit is better because it has a return to center setting...trust me it's a big difference...between that and the fact that you can adjust it on the fly it's worth the extra $ if you've got it.
  15. BigDaveSr

BigDaveSr It’s All Good

Oddometer:
    GPR has a $100 off coupon for the rest of 2012 on their website. The GPR for my GSA is $550 - $100 sounds like a smokin deal to me. I'm gonna order one! That is significantly less than I paid for my last one. :freaky
  16. BigDaveSr

BigDaveSr It’s All Good

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know how long it takes to install the Rallye Moto, I called the local BMW shop and they have never done one.
  17. BigDaveSr

BigDaveSr It’s All Good

Oddometer:
    Went with the GPRV4 and it is getting installed now, should be able to ride next weekend!
  18. nuttynu

nuttynu NuttyNu Rider

Oddometer:
    I love it !
    Have the good v4 installed on my cbr600rr.
    Usually keep my settings to around 4 & 5th click. Has help a lot at higher speeds when I hit those bumps.
  19. Groym

Groym Hornet in my helmet

Oddometer:
    Question for anyone who has installed a GPRv4 on their GS - did your kit come with some form of cap cover to seal off the area around the square head stem bolt that replaces the stock stem bolt? Installed mine 2 nights ago but realized that there is nothing to make up for the original stem bold cover (ie the center cap with the BMW logo) and thus prevent dirt/water from accumulating on top of the steering bearing...

I see no mention of this in the instructions. But if there was such a piece, I figure it would have to be some kind of donut shape cover, with the hole in the center allowing the square head of the new stem bolt to pass through.

Am I missing something? Seems to me that the setup as is leaves a cavity atop the bearing and exposes it to the elements.

Thx!