Minimalist Touring Thread (250cc and under)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SIKLR250, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Slipinn

Slipinn DevilDogMarine

Oddometer:
    Www.christini.com

I just discovered the christini DS that the navy seals also use. This looks like an awesome bike. I wonder what the base mfg of this frame and engine is? Perhaps a Ktm?
    I like the military model they sell. I also saw one on ebay for about the same price as the xr650 . I see all their models are all wheel drive.
  2. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    They have converted a number of bikes over the last several years. I recall some being KTMs, and I've seen one or two Hondas in person as well. They may have done Yammies also.
  3. Slipinn

Slipinn DevilDogMarine

Oddometer:
    I see they have a 250cc and a 300cc but they are 2 stroke. Too bad they don't make those in a street legal DS.
  4. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Curious about this. For 4 or 5 years, I used SeaFoam periodically in my mower and bikes, usually once mid-season, and again as a fuel stabilizer when storing for winter.

SeaFoam has helped with a neighbor's poorly running, old outboard, and seemed to help an older carb'd bike run smoother.

Last Fall, I used StarTron instead of SeaFoam as a stabilizer for winterizing. Based on mostly positive reviews, both products work as far as I know, but then I really don't know what would have happened had I not used them.

So the question - since both are fuel system cleaners and fuel stabilizers, why do you mix them? Are you just covering your bets?

Two concerns:

1) mixing different chemical cocktails could potentially cause unintended consequences (ammonia and bleach?)

2) SeaFoam is low concentration, and it takes a lot to treat a tank of gas (though the instructions are vague as to exactly how much). StarTron is very concentrated; if I recall correctly from last Fall think I used 5 ml to treat 2 gallons. Do you use something like 19 parts SeaFoam for 1 part StarTron?

Personally, if I liked both products and wanted to use them simultaneously, I would alternate tanks, rather mix them.

Also, StarTron is so concentrate, it is really cheap. Even if one were to use it every tank, at 5 ml per, a $6 bottle would last a long time.
  5. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    I do pretty much the same as you guys but instead of Startron, I use Stabil and Seafoam/Amsoil Quickshot. I have never thought or believed Stabil had any real cleaning properties so that's why I use Seafoam/Quickshot a few times a year as a cleaning agent. Never tried Startron, and there's no reason why I couldn't just use Seafoam for storage either, just got started with Stabil years ago before I even knew about Seafoam so have just stayed with it, plus it's a bit cheaper than Seafoam.
  6. Earthscape

Earthscape Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer:
    From my experience, SeaFoam performed better at cleaning clogged jets. Star Tron performed better at preventing phase separation and fuel preservation. Not having the containers in front of me for reference (so not sure if I'm remembering this correctly), SeaFoam is based more on highly refined petrolium products, and been around a long time, prior to ethanol. It's not only a fuel additive. I think of it for me as treating what remains of the real gasoline in what's available now, improving the quality of the fuel as pump fuel quality goes down. As you said, it's not highly-concentrated and doesn't go far. I only add a little to a tank full - maybe 1/8 can for 4 gallons or so. I don't rely on it to treat the effects of ethanol since it was invented prior to ethanol. I use the recommended amount of Star Tron per volume (as close as I can anyway) for each tank fill up. I'm using this to try to minimize the effects of ethanol. I don't loose any sleep over the combination because SeaFoam and Star Tron are different types of products. Of course, I'm not a chemical engineer or additive expert, I could be completely wrong and at any moment any of my bikes could just vaporize, but so far, no negative side-effects.
    For alternating the treatments in tank fulls, I don't think SeaFoam would provide the protection from ethanol that Start Tron does, so that tank full may be "at risk". :wink: Plus, the expense of Sea Foam precludes that (for me).
    Interesting to note, for any considering using Star Tron, for whatever reason, I found that smaller bottles (8 oz?) indicate twice the concentration that the larger bottles do (16 oz, 32 oz). What I mean by that is, the instructions on the small bottle tell you to use twice as much as the large bottles, for seemingly the same product. I buy the 32 oz bottle on line, and it's much cheaper that way.
    To directly answer your questions
    1) if you (we) allow your bike to burn corn alcohol with its known damaging effects, mixing fuel additives is nuthin' :D
    2) as above, just a fraction of the recommended SeaFoam, and the recommended amount of Star Tron

Maybe I'm crazy, but I hate ethanol 7 ways from Sunday. I've had my bikes a loooong time, and I can see the effects it has had.
  7. Slipinn

Slipinn DevilDogMarine

Oddometer:
    You guys sold me!!i went out and bought two bottles of Startron.Appreciate the info! Thank you!
  8. 8lives

8lives WTF, in Cannabis we trust.

Oddometer:
    I know I shouldn't be like this but hey,dump the additives and the battery tenders and ride the bike,ok I made the statement don't mean to be mean sorry if I come off as a snob I use my bike as my main wheels and my toy so I don't see stuff that happens when ya let'r sit.BtW I have made it clear up to a KLR650 but I have many miles on a DR350 and a Ninja250,I will be looking towards a wr250 or a crf250 as my next machine These 250 offerings have really answered my needs...
  9. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

That's ok, lots of bikers are assholes. :wink:

I agree with what you're saying, but then I've never had any crappy gas carb problems yet. I have never used any stabilizer and have let some of my tools & toys sit months, maybe over a year with my weed eater and maybe chainsaw. I think 2 stokes are easier maybe since it's mixed gas?

I keep "crossing my fingers" when I read these threads, figuring I'm on borrowed time and sooner or later my luck's going to run out.....Til then I'll continue my slack'er ways. I figure that they won't all clog up at the same time, but wouldn't it really suck if they did??!! :huh

:lol3
  10. djvx

djvx Ride Safe!

Oddometer:
    Its a non issue if your fuel is pure gas, but in many parts of the U.S. we have to suffer with reformulated fuel. My solution has been screw the additives and store them with pure gas. I run the shit gas out of them first obviously.
  11. Yokomo

Yokomo Trials & Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
    I've just noticed some stations around here have stickers on their 91 octance stating that there's no ethynol. The price goes up as well. Something like 3.59 for 87, 3.69 for 89, 3.89 for 91.
  12. GearDrivenCam

GearDrivenCam Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm another one who only uses premium fuel (without ethanol - Shell V-Power) in all my gas engines (Honda string trimmer, 2 Honda mowers, 4 fuel-injected motorcycles, and 2 four-stroke carbureted dirtbikes) over the past 5 years, with no additives while stored for the winter. I've yet to see a problem with any of them. Just fill them up when I put them away. They all run great. Now, of course, my personal anecdotal account should never pass for sound scientific evidence (the plural of anecdote is not data) - but I'm still curious to see how this informal exercise turns out in the long-term.

Mike
  13. dfye55

dfye55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's my strategy too. I don't do anything to my mowers/rototiller over winter, and they start every summer... so far. I make a point to ride each of my bikes at least an hour each couple weeks figuring that will help avoid problems.

The only problem I've had with a fuel system was when I added a Seafoam, I believe it cleaned the gunk out of my tank right into my jets.

and to quote Nanabijou
    "Now, of course, my personal anecdotal account should never pass for sound scientific evidence "
  14. Earthscape

Earthscape Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer:
    That's great if you are able to. The 3 feet of snow on the ground here does a good job of deterring that plan where I am, and hence, ignoring the bikes while sitting is not the best option.
  15. viper770

viper770 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    your not alone my only means of transportation is motorcycles i gave up cars/trucks two years ago so i ride everyday year around rain snow fog extreme cold any thing mother nature throws at me why should i stop riding just cause mother nature is in a bad mood :rofl
  16. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    Is that just your area? Shell's website for V-Power doesn't say anywhere that it doesn't contain ethanol, and that's certainly worth mentioning for true enthusiasts who would check in to such things.
  17. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    I stumbled across this website of Chinese bikes, ATVs, UTVs, scooters, and even a boat. Looks like they are a serious company that's planning to compete worldwide, offering vehicles with respectable displacements.

Website needs some work & only one US source listed.

http://www.cfmoto.cn/

I'd like to test ride some of their bikes & quads.
  18. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nanabijou is in Ontario. Shell V-Power premium gasoline in Canada does not contain ethanol:

http://www.shell.ca/en/products-ser...-vpower.html?gclid=CNye-9r5mLYCFc9cMgodcSgAdw

Can't say about your area.
  19. Yokomo

Yokomo Trials & Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
    Cold ride today? I'm sick of this weather!
  20. viper770

viper770 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yea saturday i went to a fssnoc rally in marquette and got snowed on me and one other showed up on bikes he had a ural with a side car and i rode my wr250r every one else drove there cars :D