rubicon in november?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by AJxr, May 7, 2013.

1. AJxr

AJxr #395

Oddometer:
    anyone ever cross the rubicon trail in mid november? is the snow hit or miss or is it under 10 feet of snow?
  2. Heloflyboy

Heloflyboy n00b

Oddometer:
    Hard to tell. I have been on it and had very little snow. This year was pretty light in early to mid November. In 2011 it was pretty unpassable in Nov. Late October is your best bet I have always had pretty good luck.
    Keep in mind it gets VERY cold at night. Have a plan and let people know where you are going. No body expects to break down,but it happens. I hate going to look for people not prepared for fast weather changes in the middle of the night .

Good Luck
  3. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Are you riding or driving? Coming from New York?

Why so late in the year? Chances are good for a lot of snow, elevations are high and it's just west of Reno Tahoe area - it's NOT southern CA. :evil

More and better info at: www.pirate4x4.com
  4. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    November? Best by snowmobile that time of year.
  5. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    November? Best by snowmachine that time of year.
  6. AJxr

AJxr #395

Oddometer:
    Driving from ny. Looking for things in NorCal to ride my 250x over. Looking like rubicon is out of the question...
  7. browneye

Oddometer:
    November is desert time for us out here. Even then it can be cold, wet, and windy. Maybe you'll get some input from Reno/Tahoe locals here.
  8. AJxr

AJxr #395

Oddometer:
    Coming out for lab2v and haven't explored NorCal yet. I'd love to come out earlier in the year but work will not allow. Figured I'd spend a week upstate in Cal before heading down to Palmdale for the lab2v.
  9. browneye

Oddometer:

Yep, that's our desert riding. :thumb

Consider a trip to Death Valley instead. Very scenic, and warmer weather in the lower elevations than northern or central CA.

The Sierra range gets quite a lot of snow. The extra cold winter we got in '11 dumped about 70 feet. This year not so much.
  10. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    Check out the Reno/Tahoe/ Carson valley thread, those guys know that area....
  11. skwidd

skwidd where does this lead?

Oddometer:
    Enduro season here, come ride one or help sweep with one of the local clubs and ride the course.

After late October, first of November, Rubicon is pretty much out.

Look at the local schedule here:

www.ama-d36.org
  12. AJxr

AJxr #395

Oddometer:
    that sounds awesome. looks like your last enduro is november 10th. thats probably a week to early for me. the lab2v is the 29th and 30th. looking to make it a 3 week round trip so cant make it. sounds like if i really want to ride i should stick to the south. id love to do an enduro/desert race while im at their though. maybe something the first week of december?
  13. skwidd

skwidd where does this lead?

Oddometer:
    There is a family enduro the 17th, little shorter mileage and no really difficult trails, but you can always do those on your own.