Scoot Buying Choices???

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by kantuckid, May 15, 2013.

1. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Give me some food for thought-I'm an exp rider/buyer just mulling the machines & never owned any of them. One direction I like is the 250 or 300 Vespa. There are scads of used out there with few miles. A few are 2013/12 300's with some having a bit of warranty left. Many are 250's & garage queens are common in the 2007-2009 range with less than 1,000 miles and many more with 1-2,500 miles. On Vespa it's kind of down to a 2009 with 93 miles @ $4,000 or jump up to a 12/13 300 model with similar mileage & wrrty @ $5,000-5,750 area. There are a couple of BV350's in whole country used and I'll have to do a fly & drive,etc., & likely pay a tad over $5k.
    Decisions, decisions! :clap The Kymco I would buy new. :ear
  2. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    So, the question is?

Seriously, is a warranty worth $1,000 or more? I doubt it.

Otherwise, buy what you like and can afford without a stretch, because it's more fun to have a few bucks left over to pay for travel and good meals. But that's just my opinion.
  3. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out everything you are interested in, and buy what you can afford. Other than the Chinese crap, there really are very few bad scooters out there. Several BV's for sale around here. Main thing to watch out for when buying a used vehicle of any kind is condition. Vespa, anything Japanese, Aprilia, SYM, Kymco, and Genuine in good condition are fine. If you intend to ride it on the highway, it will need to be at least 150cc, bigger is better, but it does not have to be a "maxi", something like the Vespa 300 Super will work just fine. To me the maxi scooters just don't really give you the "scooter" experience, and again IMO, they are ugly.
  4. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    It all depends on what your riding plans are. Is it a round-town transportation tool? A commuter? Something to take the place of a smaller bike?

I have, in operating condition, a Burgman 650 and a Rowdy, a Big Ruckus clone that's speed limited. Totally opposite machines, in every shape, manner and form.

The Rowdy, I use to hop around town. Trip to the post office. Sunday morning brunch. It tops out at 48 mph, so it's not much good for anything else...although it does better than 85 miles per gallon.

The 650 is my weekend ride machine. If there's a distance trip in the works, I try to make it on the Burgman. It's clumsy in traffic; it's not that much more economical than a car. But it's a comfortable, fast touring ride.

You have to decide. Price...size...use...how reliable do you need it? Used or even Chinese might make sense.
  5. blugg1

blugg1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out the SYM HD 200 EVO. I was pleasantly surprised. Fast, smooth, cruises easily at 70. Lovely lines. Get the Chili Red.
  6. Houndguy

Houndguy super noob!!!

Oddometer:

Ms. Houndguy made me buy the damn warranty. :icy
  7. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was trying to be brief-I'll add that any ride is a hwy ride as we are very rural. Retired so no errand type rides(seems to be a lot of stuff to haul around on farm & weekly Wally trip is 50rt , mostly day trip or long trip on 2 wheels. No 49cc-150cc scoot will work here. I'm not a "warranty buyer" but they do have value. I pull my own wrenches and thought having posted recently here I'd mostly mentioned this other stuff. My 1150 BMW sells today & I have scoot fever but trying to avoid MC withdrawal... My other MC's are all projects & nothing ready to ride quickly. I may use my /5 BMW as my trip bike which makes me look harder at the Vespa 250/300 as a go between machine.
  8. rider33

rider33 Traveler

Oddometer:
    If you plan to buy it and hold on to it for many years, I'd recommend the large frame Vespa's (200/250/300). They are well made, well supported, and that metal frame will last a very long time. There is also a timelessness about them, they just look right & never seem to age. Most of the modern scooters are well made, the question is what you are looking for. Vespa's are a premium product of classic design, sort of the new Bonnie of scooters which might explain why so many Vespa owners also own T100's.
  9. Bugtussle

Bugtussle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you do your own wrenching thats good. I also live in a rural area and do the same. I was looking at Vespa 250-300's recently and just couldn't get behind the small wheels. Rear tires on the vespa's just dont last long enough for me having to replace at a little over an oil change. I suppose its not an issue for someone that just takes it into the dealer for everything and $$ is no concern. Also if you have any trouble with the electronic FI, that could be a pain at home. Im an older rider and I just sold an 09 Bonneville. This was going to be my last motorcycle(yea sure)but when spring arrives I get itchy for a new bike. Ive owned a Ruckus, Vino125, Kymco People 250, Aprilia Scarabeo 500, Stella 2T and a SYM HD200 in the past. Two weeks ago I started looking seriously at Vespas to get something different and ended up finding a deal on a new 09 SYM HD200. I love the HD200 and the large 16" wheels are so nice at hwy speeds. 60-70 mph is no sweat at all and I get 70 mpg on it. Hope you can get a chance to try one out.
  10. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since you asked for it, some food for thought. I haven't ridden any of the scooters you are considering but if I was looking for a new scooter now, I'd probably get a Kymco. Some things to consider.

Buying new only makes sense if you plan on keeping it for a long time, otherwise the depreciation will get you.

Since you are considering a Vespa or Kymco 300GT here's some thoughts on those:

Vespa - It's a classic. It has smaller wheels which some don't like but it will give it more of that "light and flickable" scooter feel. Some complain about lack of stability of smaller wheels but I have ridden a scooter with tiny 10" wheels (Riva 125), on the highway 2 up and never felt it was a problem. Smaller wheels also allow larger underseat storage.

Some cons. Higher price relative to other scooters. Some people have issues with vibration in the front end, especially with top boxes mounted.

Kymco GT300i - 16" wheels will give more stability and better ride on rough roads but will also make the bike steer slower. Big wheels result in very small underseat storage. The Kymco makes significantly more power than the Vespa 250/300. From reviews I have read it accelerates significantly faster but top speed is only around 5 MPH higher.

Kymco claims a 54 degree lean angle which is significantly better than than most scooters. This is only an issue if you like to ride fast around curves.

The Vespa has been around a lot longer and will have much better aftermarket support.

Both scooters have conventional (un-linked) brakes which is a big plus IMO.

Have you considered the Aprilia Sport City 250? You could get one of these for significantly less than the Kymco or Vespa. Same motor as the Vespa 250 but styled more like the Kymco. Not sure if any new ones are left but I got mine for $3500 + Tax

Any of these scooters are capable of being ridden on long trips. If possible try to get a test ride before buying. You really won't know how you will like it until you do.

Whatever you decide, good luck and keep us posted.
  11. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Everything I read about the Kymco is good.

Everything.

Now...if they'd just put some STYLE in their products...

I favor the Honda/Suzuki look. Not the Vespa-With-Tupperware look. Somehow...they're not ugly; but they just don't do it for me.

I'm sure I'm not alone. With all the good reports, something is keeping them from making a bigger dent than they are in the market.
  12. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I slipped in a "sit on a scoot in the showroom" yesterday while doing a dental visit . I sat on Vespa 300 & BV350. Either will easily work for my short arms & legs-no issue to backpedal in parking lots other slow manuevers.The grip placement on a BV is virtually identical to my BMW MC with setback/risers. The real diff is to flatfoot it & the Vespa! There is the thing of sitting on top of the seat vs. straddling the seat like a MC.
    ((Thats a big difference that the closest I've come to knowing is a renta scooter ride around Cozumel two times in the past. They were small scoots that topped at 45mph with my 220#'s and the ride is a fun,scenic 30-35miles of windy beach front around the island-plus you stop here & there so no butt test there.))
    So, it was not only pouring rain but I had the guy coming that bought my MC yesterday & they will not allow a test ride on the BV350 but will on a consignment 300 Vespa with 600 miles on it. I may ask them for info on the 2 BV's they sold in that area for their ideas-maybe even a ride if they are trusting of an exp rider like me.
    I really like the BV as having a more MC like performer possibility but can see the Vespa as a keeper for rideability on into old age further down the road.At 69 I'm able to ride a MC easily all day long,etc., but 2 bouts with sciatica made me well aware of my worn out back. I plan to continue to wear it out on the farm this summer & finish it off on something with two wheels-what is to be continued as the hundred dollar bills burn in my hands...:clap
  13. creighta

creighta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the 300 size is great for rural area. you cant go wrong with either bike, I am bias, but fwiw my majesty has been great for our rural area and highway travel and can be found used around the $3000 mark.

If you are going to do much highway go 300+cc. if only occasional speeds over 65 then the 250 will probably get better mpg
  14. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    You just described me. Just sold my Beemer and now am left with my Bonnie T100 and my Vespa GTS 250 ie Super that I bought last fall. So far I am really digging the Vespa! It is exactly what I was looking for. Classic lines and good power for a scoot. Perfect compliment to my Bonnie.

Good luck with your Scooter decision but you can't go wrong with a Vespa. they hold their value better than most other scooters in the market.

Rick G
  15. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, here's where I am. In DEEP! respect to all those that have kindly taken the time to share their scoot knowledge,etc., thanks!:D
    Truth is this:
    when I saw my R1150R go down the hill in the other guys PU & got back to the house I knew it was going to be another MC! If I didn't have other MC's(not riders as yet & none real soon) I'd have flipped for a low mile Vespa 250 at low miles & $. What I'm now in the hunt for is a late model 2009/2012 BMW G650GS or F650GS-they are commonly ridden by short people & females as many have lower ride height. Also the money is in my pocketbook area. For now thats my search & lots to look at when your a fly & buy type buyer like me-part necessity & part just to get best machine for best price. The difference for me is my health still allows for throwing a leg, long distance touring & the luggage thing too that a MC offers is big. I'm not a "GS guy" just want lightness, low CG,reasonable power & handling, trip luggage & that I can afford. See me over on the "other boards"...
    THANKS,Klaviator,Larry, Cortez & all the many others that were largely helpful here-great spot to hang out. Especially after Jess the tyrant kicked me off MV.:bow
  16. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Live To Ride

Oddometer:
    Hi Kantuckid,

Bikes come and go. Sometimes you regret selling one, sometimes you're happy to wave good-bye. Best to know your mind and heart before you spend those fresh bucks.

I understand, and I'm sure many others here do, too... the timing has to be right for any bike purchase. There was a time for me when only a full-dress bike would do. A few years ago, my wife suggested a couple scooters... that didn't work for me. This time, when she suggested it, the timing was right. We've enjoyed 'em so much, I kick myself that I wasn't "ready" (or more open-minded) before.

Enjoy the hunt for the next "just right" ride!

Best wishes,
    Captain Jim
  17. blugg1

blugg1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a friend with an F650, gently ridden as he's now 90. I get the impression that he might sell it. Unfortunately, it's in Arizona. However, if you are at all interested, PM me and I'll get some numbers.

Ted
  18. luckychucky

luckychucky Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    This is my second one, first one was a 250R, liked it but felt I was over doing it with wife and me both.
  19. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I waded through the whole process of a scoot vs. a MC & bought my next ride-2012 BMW G650GS with low suspension. For those of you that want lightweight low seat height and still willing to throw a leg the BMW F650GS & BMW G650GS both come with that to offer. The Versys Kawasawki also has a low suspension option and decent performance and LOTS!!! of them for sale as a popular MC. Way better performance than the Honda 700 coming out.
    Again, thanks to all that offered information to help me decide my next ride. I still hope my health holds a scoot in the future before the "unable to ride years"... Hey, I heard of a guy 90-thats what I said-90! that rides & might sell his MC like I just bought-I'm hoping to hear from him.
  20. blugg1

blugg1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The guy who is 90 owns and rides a BMW F650, a Ducati Monster (I think it's a 900), a Ducati 748r (which he says is uncomfortable to ride far), and a Honda GB 500 Tourist Trophy. He lives in Southeastern Arizona (Cochise County).

I erred when I mentioned in a PM to the OP that he was 90. He's 92.

The GB 500 is his favorite ride. I have ridden with him frequently. I'm 84 and ride a Suzuki DR 650 that's been lowered by a suspension expert.