Ktm spongy front brakes

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by Reino, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Reino

Reino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the link to the tread on ktm talk.

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=36358&hl=banjo%20bolt&st=30

"If you remove the banjo bolt and locate a drill bit the same size as the original hole (pretty close anyway) and use the original hole as a drill guide just go thru the other side of the bolt. The third and forth holes can be easily eyeballed but need to be drilled with a smaller size drill bit. Just go easy and take your time.

I personally drilled the cross set of holes since the bolt was out and I had an extra bolt if I blew it, but I suspect even adding the hole opposite the original might even be enough.

As a pointer for easy drilling use the drills that are known as split points. These will begin cutting easily without walking around. If they aren't available you'll likely want to either use a pilot drill or since the holes is small, slightly center punch the spot you want.

Travis posted a good find that's almost free and very easy to do. It will likely take longer to remove and install the bolt than to drill it. And when you tighten it remember it doesn't hold the rear shock on."

note only use 2mm drill bit, otherwise the bolt will break when tightened.

Basically that banjo bolt has only one hole and sometimes when that hole is not in the correct position there is an air bubble that is trapped. No amount of bleeding will remove that bubble. Also don't drill to many holes.

I also have a fix for the rear axle block cracking on our ktm's, is simple, cheap, lasts long and is very sturdy.
    I will make a new thread on this one when i am home during my Nov Jan vacation.
  2. Reino

Reino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I must admit i have not tried it yet, but i will during my vacation. After i do a lot of this. :freaky and this :snore
  3. jar944

jar944 Long timer

Oddometer:
    None of my KTM's have spongy brakes.
  4. Reino

Reino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine does, its just when that banjo bolt's hole is in the wrong position as to trap an air bubble.
  5. Reino

Reino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you sure do have a lot of ktm. :eek1
  6. Reino

Reino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Okay guys i tried this fix and so far so good. I will go riding tomorrow and see if it stays like that . I CAN'T WAIT!:clap
  7. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:

If you use a syringe to bleed brakes there is no need for this, and no chance of the banjo bolt snapping when its being tightened.
  8. Reino

Reino Been here awhile

Oddometer:

When the banjo bolt is not in the correct position it does not matter what method you use to bleed the brakes, you can not flush the air bubble out. That is why the mod works, the nissan MS used to replace the standard brembo MS has more than one hole.

This has been documented on the interweb and this fix is apparently the solution to the problem, later today I am going to the mx track to test my brakes and I will report back on the findings.
  9. Reino

Reino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been out riding today and this mod worked no more front brake worries!:clap
  10. The Letter J

The Letter J Long timer

Oddometer:
    hmmm... I've had spongy brakes on my gasgas and no amount of bleeding seemed to change it. It's the only bike I've ever had this problem with, might be worth a try. Worst case I'll have to buy a new banjo bolt and remove the remains of the old one!
  11. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A small bungey cord keeping pressure on the lever while parked also works.
  12. Reino

Reino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When i took out the banjo bolt, i noticed it isn't so weak as i thought. It wont break, as long as you stick with making 3 holes only.

That did not work for me, nothing gets rid of the bubble. It can 't go up into the resiguar, because its trapped in the bolt.
  13. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have used the syringe method to bleed dirt bike brakes maybe 500 times, and up to now never had a single problem, so wont be risking a broken banjo bolt for no reason.
  14. Reino

Reino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nissin blots have more than one hole

I have used this method only, its the best way to bleed the brakes. But it did not help, like in The Letter J's case. This is brake system specific (brembo) problem.

You will not have the same problem on bike that has the nissin brake system. and the banjo bolt is thick enough to not break, if you break the bolt you must have torqued that thing so that hercules could not loosen it.:rofl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look at the photos, they are quite thick. Also like i said THIS IS AN DOCUMENTED FIX.