Two Moto Kiwis Arctic To Antarctic May 2012...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Two Moto Kiwis, May 8, 2012.

1. flying kiwi

flying kiwi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'll just have to crate my K over there. Would be kinda cool to to the ride on my own scoot:D
  2. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Yeah that's what I was gonna say, Highway 6.....:clapShip/fly to Kelowna, I can find a trailer easy enough.:wink:

Get out of here so Andi can post pics....:wink:I also think he may have an idea about them crated freight costs by now.:ear

I think I filled your boots somewhere else, if you have time that is....!:rofl

Ok just for you...somewhere in Montana, shortly after Kalispell....!:clapYou may also have some long lost cousins this way...:wink:

:rofl:rofl:rofl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. Two Moto Kiwis

Two Moto Kiwis Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer:
    Just came back from Lodi, we received an email from Clawson at 4:40pm, they have fixed our bike. We can leave tomorrow, there is no need to visa extension anymore, WooHoo:clap:clap:clap

Andi is on the way picking up the bike....
  4. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    My bike was fixed earlier which took the heat out of the B2 Visa saga.

When the bike was fixed up north the dealership through out washable stainless steel oil filter after instructions not to through it.

So tonight I checked just to make sure rather than getting in Mexico and finding out it was accidentally thrown oil, oil puked out of the oil filter case which it is not supposed to do????

On inspection the oil is full of fine metal and very shiny :cry , bike done 10 miles since at the dealership.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back to the dealership tomorrow. :huh
  5. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    The VISA B2 Saga, so this is the pinnacle of excellent US intellectual bureaucratic bullshit, read on and have a larf as there quite simply is no other wau to look at it.

Ok, due to my bike needing serious work again we took it in to Fresno as when we leave the USA our warrantee is over.

Clawson Suzuki in Fresno took it apart and established the problem which appears to be incorrect assembly when it was last put back together from its first failure, the parts we established will not be in until November 1st, our B2 VISA expires November 2nd.

We have gone out of our way with USCIS, US Immigration and NZ Consulate, not one of these organisations say they can help ..... WTF you are kidding???

So Monday Oct 29th we go to Sacramento to 656 Capital Ave to the big office.

On entering the building the guard required ID, so we showed him our drivers licence, he needed our passports which we had so no worries at all, shoes off, no cameras so Trevor said hey I will look after them down here, belts etc off no worries and up we go.

We talked to a very nice lady at the counter who booked us an interview straight away, looked like we were making progress.

We also got the information pamphlet for Trevor a fello ADVer so I took that down to the lobby where he was waiting and told him we will be having an interview shortly so will meet him back down there in say 20 minutes.

I went back into the foyer and the same guard said, I need ID ... well that is when the fight started. :rofl:huh:eek1

Me = Me, G = Guard

G, I need ID

Me, here is my licence again

G, I need your passport

Me, my passport is upstairs with my wife waiting for our interview

G, well you can’t come in

Me, but you have seen my passport only two minutes ago along with our drivers licence

G, but you don’t have your passport

Me, you saw it 2 minutes ago, I am still me and haven’t changed!!.

G, but you don’t have it now.

Me, what, you are kidding???

G, (straight face), please step outside to the lobby

Me, FFS,

G, I will call someone down

Me, thanks

10 minutes goes by... no-one has come down one floor

Me, walk back in to guard, where is someone?

G, no-one came down

Me, well call them again please as I am supposed to be in an interview

G, ouwh ok, please step outside to the lobby

Me .... you’re kidding?? but I will go outside

10 more minutes lady appears

G, this is him (pointing at me)

So the Lady says we can’t find anyone for you, I say my wife is upstairs with my passport that he saw prior, I present her with both our drivers licences.

I say please look for her, this is what she looks like, same photo on her licence as her passport, same for me, she says to the guard you won’t let him through but you saw his passport?, guard says yes but he does not have his passport.

Lady, but you have seen it

G, yes

Lady, why won’t you let him through

G, he doesn’t have his passport with him

Me, stunned look in amazement at this guys lack of logic, common sense is not that common and we now have living proof.

Lady, are you serious?, he (me) can come with me

G .... pissed off as overridden by Lady.

Me, stunned that this shit was even happening

So that is how the efficient US government machine works to help people out, I would expect shit like this from a 3rd world border, different language places but not here in english speaking educated US, land of the free unless you are here.

We have tried our best to get an extension/dispensation for the one or two days we may be over our VISA due to circumstance beyond our control and unforeseen only to yet again be trashed by stupid US rules and regs with NO-ONE from ANY organization having any power to help or take control, we are stunned.

Grump over but my mind cannot comprehend this weird system you mericans have in place, after battling like hell to do everything right at our expense I am now not sure if I want to come back to the US unless shit like this gets changed to normality...it does not have to be that hard.
  6. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just talked to a friend of mine who overstayed 9 days last year: He had no problems at the airport leaving the US , neither this year when he reentered the US
    I wouldn't worry too much about overstaying a few days
    Good luck with your bike !
  7. lightcycle

lightcycle Nomad

Oddometer:
    What a nightmare. Hope everything works out for you guys soon!
  8. flying kiwi

flying kiwi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, what do I need a trailer for :huh When I landed my bike in Kiwi, I asked how to get it from customs clearance to the motor registry for its inspection. I was told to trailer it, but he added, bikes just seem to turn up and the owners always seem to have a helmet with them....:wink:
    And no, no cousins out your way. Actually, I do! but he's not in politics :lol3
  9. flying kiwi

flying kiwi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh FFS! You have got to be pissing me. This would NEVER happen in Noo Zland when you cross the border between the north and south island. :1drink
  10. SkycamNZ

SkycamNZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That guard... UN-BERLUDDY-BELIEVABLE!!!! I'm steamed and I'm only READING about it! Sure hope you don't encounter anything LIKE the BS you witnessed there in the remainder of your travels.
  11. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Well it was looking like we would make it just in time but that is now blown clean out the window again because of my bike.
  12. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, it is turning to shit more and more each day, this is really starting to break my enthusiasm :cry
  13. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Nup, no pissing just facts, still struggle with mr little dick guard, as if our problems weren't enough that no fucking official place can even help :baldy:baldy
  14. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    Heya Pete, see above saves the broken record.
  15. Two Moto Kiwis

Oddometer:
    We turned up on their doorstep at 8.00am, they took my bike in and said they would drain the oil which they did, they removed the filter as well.

This is what came out, this is 10 miles worth, i.e. from dealer to Shanns then back to dealer.

[​IMG]

They put new oil in and a Suzuki factory paper filter claiming my washable stainless filter was not good enough.:huh

Their tech took it for a 6 mile ride, came back pulled the sump bung and filter, the filter was grey with an alloy/bronze look about it.

I could repost the picture above and it would be no different to that.

Their manager fello chimed in saying that something was definitely wrong (no shit) so they are pulling it apart again.

3rd gear still grizzles and the shit continues, I asked if they could get Suzuki to just replace the engine complete as they have spent more trying to fix it than the bike is worth, we have now been off the road with failures for more than 25% of our trip and it is costing us money and time now not to mention stress having to deal with immigration or more to the point irritation.

Now we play the waiting game again, another two weeks? who knows.

Can a shitty day get worse, yes is the answer to that with the destruction of my 1 month old G9 communication set.

I am about ready to pack it all in and go home. :cry, I am out for a walk to consider my options now.
  16. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a typical encounter with US govt bureaucrat. Logic is never the strong suit of these small minded, power obsessed petty
    dictators. All in the name of a false terror threat. Total BS. I'm ashamed you had to go through it.

Regards your DR650:
    Pretty normal for oil to come out of oil filter case cover. Not a huge amount, but a few ounces anyway. I'm not a fan of metal, re-usable oil filters, but I know some use them. I prefer paper, they filter better. If your metal filter is a K&N ... well another good reason to stick with paper. I don't trust K&N.

As far as the metal bits go, on a new bike that is fairly normal for the first 4000 miles or so. Good to do shorter interval oil changes first couple thousand miles. After that, many only change oil filters every other oil change. I do this when ever I ride in Mexico.

So, if you packed a few paper filters, that could get you pretty far down the road. I change oil every 3 to 4 thou miles on my DR. Highway riding in cool temps does not stress oil much, so at times you could push intervals a bit, IMO.

Filters:
    You might try the Hi-Flo Filtro paper filters. Pro-Cycle sell a 10 pack for $34. I've used them for near 50,000 miles now. All good. Cheap insurance.

Try to use MADE IN USA or EU made oil when in Latin America. Hecho en Mexico oil, is, IMHO, suspect. ALL Mexican oil is Pemex (National Oil company) no matter what the label says. (Castrol, Chevron, Shell, Quaker State, Pennzoil ... it's ALL Pemex if it says Hecho en Mexico on the bottle).
    Ever wonder why even NEW cars smoke in Mexico? Think about it.

You can find US made oil there and imported EU oil. $$ Expensive $$, but a sure thing. Up to you. Try Wall Mart, motorcycle or Marine shops. I use Mobil One synthetic.

My neighbor (motorcyclist) who worked for Chevron claims the Mexican companies are sold the right to use a US label, but the oil itself has NONE of the proprietary additive packages US companies add to their oil. It's all just Pemex oil ... and its crap. (IMHO)

Once out of Mexico, imported oil is more common. Costly but good oil. It's only about 16,000 miles to Tierra del Fuego, so not too many oil changes needed. Good luck!
  17. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I hope things turn around for you folks, nobody should have to put up with all that crap on their vacation... This has gone well beyond the "adversity adds to the adventure" phrase... I hope your trip does not end so soon, but if you decide to pull the pin it is understandable...

I truly think you bought into a couple of lemons, a hasty full engine replacement would be minor compensation for all the problems you've put up with... Maybe try a KLR next time...
  18. Tracks1

Tracks1 Arctic Rider

Oddometer:
    This is a true. For intermittent combustion (piston) engines they're quit porous if cleanable! ... Only the NON-CLEANABLE ones are of any use and I doubt anyone is willing to pay the high price to use in a moto. :eek1
  19. cold comfort

cold comfort Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you recall,my DR had an scary mix of ferrous and non ferrous sludge in the first oil change i did after the turkey who last owned it didn't. As you know i thrashed it mercilessly on and off road with no issues (apart from some odd noises). However your photo looks ghastly. Gutted for you guys as a serious lack of conscience/ integrity by Suzuki shown . (maybe a word to head office?). Thought of holing up somewhere cheap over the border until you get the scoots sorted? Couldn't blame you for pulling the plug though. If you are back in time for the DBK I could always wear a sombrero?
    Not surprised by the attitude of officialdom. Just going through the airports in the US leaves a nasty taste. Bin Laden definitely achieved his goal there.
  20. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Wow! Somehow when I posted my last post, I missed your post above. Holy Shite .. that is some nasty oil. Houston, we have a problem! I was way off, had no idea it was so serious. Something is chewing the thing to bits internally, I'd guess lots of damage. (obvious, right?)

Given the history with this bike ... it would be really good if someone at Suzuki would put you to the top of the list for special consideration. Maybe someone at the dealer can step up for you with the boys in Brea, CA ? (Suzuki US headquarters)

Suzuki don't sell a whole motor ... just parts. The problem with that is very few of their techs have the true skill to 100% rebuild a motor from the ground up ... so its likely things will be missed and down the road you could have more problems.

A new bike is what should be provided you. NEW. Try to call Brea, maybe get a supervisor with a sympathetic ear? You are only a day away from every DR part Suzuki have ... most all are in warehouses in Brea.
    If not, then it has to come from Japan. Two weeks.

Someone suggested going down into Mexico to chill until bikes are ready.
    Not a bad idea as long as you can go back into US to pick up bike. Cheaper lodging if you look around ... and bargain for weekly rate.

All the best, hope things turn good soon. :thumb