windscreen options for r100gs (non-pd)

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by datchew, Oct 18, 2005.

1. datchew

datchew Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer:
    Show me whatchugot! Pics especially welcome.
  2. cpatstone

cpatstone N00b, obviously.

Oddometer:
    I was going to post a pic of mine, but a) I'd have to go mount it, and b) it came with the bike, don't know the mfr. Then, as if on que, I see this. Not my bike, but yeah that's it. Apparently mine's a parabellum. My uneducated opinion - it works OK. Cheers -
  3. datchew

Oddometer:
    bump.

nobody has aftermarket windscreens on their airhead gs's?
    I have a tiny one that is crappy and would really like to see pics, links to pics, and especially experienced opinions on options available.

If you're not responding cause this has been covered before or something, please show me the thread, cause i didn't find any.

Has anyone ever had a "spoon" shaped windscreen cause wobble problems?

thx.
  4. LarryGS

LarryGS Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the Parabellum Sport model on a 90 R100GS/PD. Great screen for me at 6'0". Got a bargain one from them just for the asking.
  5. L1gunman

L1gunman Abner Snopes

Oddometer:
    the national cycles plexistar windscreen will fit just about anything. kind of a sensible shoes look, but very effective. gas mileage ought to go up a little bit too.

[​IMG]
  6. summerinmaine

summerinmaine Hells Atheists MC Supporter

Oddometer:
    Parabellum tall, I think:

[​IMG]

Works okay, tho it buffets a bit at higher speed.
  7. BlackHoof

BlackHoof REMF

Oddometer:
    Yo Summerinmaine,

Is that the Saeng edging on the leading top edge? Also, who makes the
    side wings? Inquiring minds....

Thanks,
    Kent
  8. sharkey

sharkey XLV750R

Oddometer:
    I can't stand big fairing screens, they just get it the way. Even the stocker was a bit big for my tastes, so I made a new one (for my '93 R100GS) out of polycarbonate from the hardware store. Works great. There's some vague, unhelpful measurements, ASCII art and now some photos on the link below:

http://zoic.org/sharkey/moto/r100gs/screen.html

If you mean the earlier models, there's heaps of aftermarket stuff (from folks like National Cycle) which fit bikes with a single round headlight nicely. Try to resist big chromey brackets and leather tassels on the ends of your handlebars, okay!

-----sharks
  9. datchew

Oddometer:
    AW Man... and I was really thinking of getting some of those too. and maybe one of those stupid little tootsie roll looking tool roll-pouches just under the headlight for good measure. he he he.
  10. Gringo

Gringo simple by nature

Oddometer:
    a small drinking village with a fishing problem
    I've got 5 windscreens for my '92 PD! Bike came with med. Parabellum touring, which I rode for years, modified with SAENG edging and later some NACA ducts (still was too short for me). Then I got a tall parabellum sport, which is very nice - less buffet at speed, though less protection on sides, and looks alot nicer on the bike than the touring screen. Now I've got a tall Parabellum touring that I have yet to use (probably mount it this weekend, it's gettin' cool in the mornings!). Also have 2 stock screens - mine and Jabba's, as he sold his airhead GS with a parabellum on it. Been ridiing all summer with the stocker, am ALMOST in clean air with it tilted all the way down, but have been wanting to cut down the second stocker, which Moman did and he posted a picture in a 'show us your GS' thread I think, and paint it black - his looked pretty good and he said he had pretty clean air with it. After years of year-round riding with the Parabellum I only just started riding with the stock, and it ain't that bad (with earplugs!). It's noisier overall than the parabellums but I get kicked around less.

It's hard to get clean, quiet air on an airhead GS. Wish they made some of these cool oilhead screens to fit 'em, like Cee-Baileys and such.
  11. boxermoose

boxermoose Regressive airhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    I put one of the Tourtech wings on my stock PD windshield and I find the effect is awsome - buffetting and helmut noise is greatly reduced
  12. sharkey

sharkey XLV750R

Oddometer:
    My small screen is about 185mm (~7in) tall in the middle, compared to the stock 295mm (11.5in) height. I reckon it causes a lot less turbulence and 'shudder'.

If you're going to cut down your stocker, I'd say take off 1" at most each time, because even 1" makes a big difference. Make sure you get up to a decent speed when test riding it too!

-----sharks
  13. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    I've got a slightly shorter version of this one without the side winglets and top edging for sale if you're interested it's in excellent shape.....name your price...you pay shipping from Oregon.

Cheers,
    Jorge
  14. boxermoose

boxermoose Regressive airhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jorge,

How do you like the bagster cover and bag - I'm thinking of one for my PD - where did you get it from
  15. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    Um....That's from Summinmaine's original post. I have a similar windscreen that I'm selling.
    Personally, I don't care for tank covers on a GS. I go off-road with mine and the bike gets dusty. Dust gets ground into the tank's finish with a cover on it....Oh and gas spills can get nasty ...I had a bagster-type cove on my R100S but it was a pain in the ass and cover up a great looking tank.
    What would be the purpose of such a cover on the GS if I might ask?

Cheers,
    Jorge
  16. summerinmaine

Oddometer:
    :dunno I think so, but not sure as the edging was on it when I got it. I will say I'm grateful for it, as this Report will attest. Edit: Just checked and it is a Saeng.

Also :dunno about the side wings, for the same reason.

I'm just a fountain of info, right? :lol3
  17. summerinmaine

Oddometer:
    Bagster cover was also on my bike when I got it. I like it, as the matching tankbag fits well and works great. Don't know that I would put one on if I had to buy it, tho.
  18. datchew

Oddometer:
    Jorge. I don't have a PD. Will it fit on a regular gs?
    Thanks for the good input guys. Currently i have one of those small national cycle trapezoid shaped clear screens. It's "ok", makes me not have to hang on to the grips for fear of being blown off the back, but over 60mph, i still feel my self (especially my head) getting buffetted around alot.
  19. Hannibal-8

Hannibal-8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about a laminar-lip on top of a tall sport parabellum. This is what I have on my 93 GS and I love it. Ever hear of the term "Pope-Mobile"? Well this is it plus some. I would send you a picture but I can't fit the bloody thing into the frame. It does work well. Rich
  20. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hannibal, gotta have a picture of your set-up. Please figure out a way to fit it in.

Thanks man.