Windscreen FAQ

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by JimO, Apr 11, 2002.

1. TJAdvenTour

TJAdvenTour Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have been reading the replies on the addition of winglets to R1150 & R1200GS's. I know the OEM ones are available for the R1200 and I have read that GIVI makes some for the R1150...... How do I get these? I went on GIVI's site and don't see them and I don't see any of the replies that show a part number or how to order them (R1150GS only). Thanks for all the great info -
  2. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure about Givi but I just ordered a set from CeeBaileys, they come in colors if you are into that sort of thing. :deal

http://www.ceebaileys.com/bmw/1200gsepws.html

Rodney
  3. mistercindy

mistercindy In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer:
    North Dallas 'burb in a box made of ticky tacky.
    Aeroflow. I'm 6'0" but am all torso and I took the beating of my life with the stocker on my 12GS. I tried several cheaper solutions (laminar lip, etc...) before biting the bullet and buying the Aeroflow. It transformed the bike and, frankly, I'd have gotten rid of it otherwise.

When I bought my Aeroflow a year ago I don't believe it was made to fit the 12GSA, but I also believe they now sell one that does. I'd check out the website and call to be sure. But if they make one for the 12GSA it is, IMHO, the best bet to solve your problems. Do a good search and read through this "windscreen FAQs" sticky. You'll find reviews by me and many others.

Good luck, and let us know what you do.

Looks conceptually like the Laminar Lip. If so, mine shook violently and ultimately developed a stress fracture at one of the contact points.
  4. Mika S

Mika S JC & MC: Double Freedom

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine has one and he likes it. I guess it makes the difference for him, as he is somewhat shorter than I am.
    I tried it and didn't find it much better than the stocker.
    I'm 6'2" (187-188 cm) with 34" inseam.
  5. AnyWayRound

AnyWayRound live to ride,ride to live

Oddometer:
    as for an 1150gs, the ADV windscreen is not much better than the stock.
    especially not $400 dollars later. I now have the two screens sitting in my closet, and run my bike most of the time with NO screen......
  6. GS-holic

GS-holic n00b

Oddometer:
    Maybe this issue has been addressed previously......? if so I do humbly appologise for my ignorance.

As most of use prefer our noble steeds clean and bright resulting in the prized possession being pampered by foam bath very regularly. Unfortunately all this scrubbing and rubbing leads to scratches on the Polocarbonate screen. Is there anybody that has experience or knowledge on how to effectively refurbich these screen?
  7. boxerdad

boxerdad Ol' fart

Oddometer:
    I soften the bugs with a wet cloth to remove and then use a plastic polish from Maguires or Mothers. It might help a little and will keep it from getting worse.
  8. AnyWayRound

AnyWayRound live to ride,ride to live

Oddometer:
    Plexus is the best I've found so far. Gently soak with water to soften debris,
    rinse, and then top off with the plexus. It polished out a lot of the fine scratches.
  9. DeFens

DeFens Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just adding another data point:

I just added the winglets from Nippy Norman's in the UK. They had very fast service to my Seattle-area residence, the winglets were inexpensive and appear very well made. Installation went quickly and included all necessary hardware, incuding some nylon spacers and rubber grommets.

I'm currently running the stock R12GS windshield with an Arai XD helmet. I'm 5'7" and found the noise and buffeting to be pretty severe with the stock setup. It didn't seem to matter what angle the windscreen was set at.

I rode today with the winglets and I'm very pleased with the results. No windshield-induced buffeting at speeds up to 75. I still get buffeted if I'm following big trucks or vans, but I'd expect that. I have the windshield tilted back about halfway, so I'm feeling some wind pressure on my chest, and my helmet is in clean air. The XD helmet vents still make a racket - I have some helmet mounted solutions I'm thinking about to curtail that.

I'm very pleased with this low cost improvement. I'm probably going to machine myself a set of Tobinator-like devices next to see what those might do. I kind of like the stock windshield, so I'm not quite ready to go for the Givi.
  10. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    Went to Daytona last weekend with alot of interstate droaning. The Aeroflow is ok. The main thing I noticed was that if there was......ANY......crosswind the noise and buffeting in the helmet was bad. But in still air it was ok. Still not the holy grail I have been searching for but will have to do.
  11. AEIOU

AEIOU Wien ist so herrlich hin

Oddometer:
    This ones for the 1150 gs.
    http://www.givi.de/caschi_borse_bauli_accessori.asp?CO_ID=6251
    (if you click the image you get a bigger photo)
    Compared to other screens this one is pretty cheap, i asked the local dealer in vienna (austria) and its round 80 Euros (100 USD)..
    Its 48.5cm tall but not wider than the OEM screen.

Has anyone had any experiences with the ISOTTA screen (made in italy, looks great and is wider than the oem screen)
    http://www.isotta-srl.com/products.asp?cat=1&marca=1&marcatx=BMW&p=2

[​IMG]

greetings from vienna!
  12. PETDOC

PETDOC Long timer

Oddometer:
    John,
    I share your opinion. I've got an '04 GS on which I just recently put an Aeroflow. After 2600 miles in 4 days I found it to be an improvement, but not terrific. I am 5'11" and got the Medium shield. I'm going to trade up to the Large to see if there is an improvement; however, when riding solo my stock shield plus torbinators will go back on.
  13. Boredsurfer

Boredsurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm also 5'11" w/30" inseam - all torso so I sit high. I tried the Tall upper first and the buffeting was terrible. Went back and exchanged for Medium and it smoothed things out some but I still get buffeted at 75+ cruising speeds.

After riding GS'es for 7 years now I think I have to finally adjust my expectations. I was really hoping I would be able to distance-tour with a GS but every time I try to figure it out I end up dissapointed.

I ride a R1100Gs now and I think the only solution would be to remove the whole headlight/tach assembly all together - then mount a windscreen off the forks like a UJM (in effect bringing the rider and screen closer together). The air that collapses around any screen set-up seems to be the achilles heel of this bike.

I don't have the skills/time/interest to fab up something like that. It's still an awesome bike but this one thing repeatedly fustrates the hell outta me.:clap
  14. PETDOC

PETDOC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I called Aeroflow yesterday inquiring as to whether they would give me some credit for the Medium shield in exchange for a Tall. They asked if I had put the lower winglets. I had not. So they suggested it may well cure the buffeting on the top of my helmet. I'll give it a try and report back. Not sure how that will impact the top of my helmet. I'm wondering if the winglets up near the handlebars might not be have a greater impact.
  15. mistercindy

Oddometer:
    By "winglets" are you referring to the bottom half of the Aeroflow? Remember that the Aeroflow screen for the GS is a half fairing, not just a screen. They're designed to work together. I'm not meaning to criticize, but if that's the case then I wonder why anybody would fork over the money for an Aeroflow without installing half of it.

Maybe you do need the tall size. When I bought my Aeroflow they told me that the most common complaint they get is people wishing they'd gotten a size larger. That's why I got the tall even though Aeroflow says the tall is good for folks up to 6'2" and I'm only 6'0". I took into account that my inseam is only 30" so I'm all torso. With the tall my eyes see 2" to 3" above the glass depending on how I'm sitting.

Hope the Aeroflow works out for you.
  16. PETDOC

PETDOC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I installed the upper and lower halves. The winglets are just that-- 2 very small angled pieces of plastic (about the size of your hand) that mount at the very bottom of the lower half of the faring. Due to their small size and location it is hard for me to image that they will affect buffeting at the top of my helmet, but I will put them on and let eveyone know.
  17. mistercindy

Oddometer:
    Interestig. They aren't a part of the 12GS package.
  18. TANKSADV

TANKSADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm want to remove windshield. The ride is better standing on my pegs at 80+ than behind the shield. I'm going to take it off and go for a ride. If it work's a sawzal should due the job of cutting the shield down.. do all bmw engineers have a 36 in-seem and stand 5"7". how do you account for the poor design of the windshield
  19. araspitfire

araspitfire Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take a couple hours and read back in the thread... you'll discover that every single "miracle fix" comes back a few months later as "didn't work out"....

After breaking my "first replacement" windshield off in Norway last year, I rode the rest of the trip (including 1200 km home through Denmark, Germany, and The Netherlands.... in 10 hours including stops =) with no windshield at all... lots of bugsplat on the dials... I liked it (despite having a broken colarbone), and may return to my cut-off OEM shield (that I build when I got home)... The cutoff shield put more turbulence on my lower helmet than having no shield at all though...

Haven't decided yet. I may build a little shield to protect the dials... there are pictures of such things in this thread I think...

Al...
  20. TANKSADV

TANKSADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like your Idea of cuting it down... heading home now to remove and ride with out it. and friday trying an areoflow on a friends bike.. I think cuting it down will work for me.... thanx for your input