New at Back Road Equipment

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by BRE, Aug 11, 2013.

1. BRE

BRE Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Introducing Back Road Equipment LLC

http://www.backroadequipment.com/

Back Road Equipment LLC was formed to bring some innovative new products to the dual sport accessory market. My goal is to provide high quality innovative products that solve problems for dual sporters. I have no intention of making copies of what is already available on the market; our products have to offer something unique or different.

Our first product is a rear rack for all years Kawasaki KLR 650s. This rack features a cut out for stock tool pouch access, a bolt pattern for a Rotpax container and the most unique feature a very slick quick connect top box mount. This quick connect is called the “Slider System”. More about this KLR specific product later.

What is a Slider and how was it developed?

When it came time to put pannier racks on my dual sport ninja it was quite evident that I was going to have to build something, let’s face it Motorcycle Superstore was not going to have racks for long travel Ninjas.

I made a list of characteristics that was important for these luggage mounts and came up with this:

Adaptable – The racks needed to be able to mount top loader or side loader boxes, aluminum or plastic.

Quick connect - I wanted to be able to take the bags off easily without tools and take them in the motel room with me. Removal had to be done without opening the box and spilling the contents on side opening bags.

Forgiving – The racks needed to be able to take a hit from the ground, tree or boulder without breaking the bike, the racks or the boxes.

Light weight – No brainer.

Low cost – Nobody wants to spend a paycheck on some steel tubing to hold a couple boxes on their motorbike.

Look good – Nobody wants to put ugly on his or her motorbike.

These criteria led to rack design that I built for the Ninja. This rack design was going be tested immediately as I had a Colorado back country ride planned. The key design trait was the rack main body, a 3/16” 6061 aluminum plate (light weight) with 2 horizontal grooves cut into it. These grooves would allow 4 plastic pucks bolted directly to the Pelican case (adaptable) to slide into the aluminum plate from the rear (quick connect). The Pelican case was hooked to the plate by a rubber strap that acts as a shock cord. If the box took an impact from the front, it would slide backwards in the grooves and the rubber strap acts like a shock absorber (forgiving).

The rack system looks like no other rack on the market and has kind of a high-tech billet look to it (looks good). The rack system worked great on the Colorado ride and I thought other advriders could use the features of this system. Unfortunately there is no market for Ninja dual-sport accessories.

My son drives a gen 1 KLR so I thought what the heck let’s see what it would take to adapt the “Slider” to the KLR. After many design iterations we have Slider production prototypes for gen 1 and gen 2 KLRs.

While designing the side racks a light bulb lit and I thought why not use the same puck mounting system for a rear rack and top box mount. The rear rack prototypes we built worked so well it was decided that we would take those to market first. Today we have rear rack top box mounts ready to ship to KLR owners everywhere.

We are finalizing testing of the rear side racks, so in the near future the original BRE product will be available. These racks have features that no one else offers and will be very competitively priced (low cost).

The first ever Slider mount on a one of a kind Ninja 650 dual-sport

[​IMG][/URL]

Pelican cases slid into the Slider rack on the Ninja 650

[​IMG][/URL]

Slider top box prototype on Ninja 650

[​IMG][/URL]

Gen 1 KLR 650 with prototype Slider side rack system

[​IMG][/URL]

Gen 2 KLR 650 with prototype Slider side and top racks

[​IMG][/URL]
    darkstarmoto likes this.
  2. BRE

Oddometer:
    13" x 16" rack

3/16" 6061 aluminum material

Charcoal gray hard anodized

CNC cut

stock tool kit access

hole pattern for Rotopak mount

keyhole mounts for quick connect top box

stainless steel mounting hardware

top box quick connect:

four heavy duty plastic pucks create quiet and tough mounting system

four large 6061 washers

zinc plated button head mounting screws

6061 quick cam lock (top box attaches in less than 10 seconds) when locked into position the box is tightly locked onto the rack

top box can be locked onto rack with a padlock

optional integrated lock is available

mounting is symmetrical, box can be mounted in one orientation and 10 seconds later be mounted in a different orientation

top box can be attached and removed without opening the box

rack & top mount kit is $149.90
    or
    rack only can be purchased for $99.95 and mount kit $49.95
    free shipping to inmates in the CON USA

Our website is under construction, so PM me if you would like to buy one and get the ADVrider free shipping deal.

Rack for Gen 1 or Gen 2 KLR 650

[​IMG][/URL]

Top box quick connect kit

[​IMG][/URL]

Gen 2 KLR 650 with rear top rack
    [​IMG][/URL]

Image of Kawasaki KLR 650 rear rack
    [​IMG][/URL]

Rear view of Gen 2 KLR 650 with Pelican case mounted as a top box

[​IMG][/URL]

Dry bag mounted with flat straps or hooked strap on top rack

[​IMG][/URL]

Rotopax container mounted on top rear rack

[​IMG][/URL]

Pad lock in place to lock top box to rack by locking attachment lever

[​IMG][/URL]

Steve
  3. BRE

Oddometer:
  4. G-Wing

G-Wing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well done Amigo! :thumb
  5. BRE

Oddometer:
    I have sold some of the "Slider" KLR rear racks on that auction site nobody likes. Feedback has been very positive.

Purchase the rack directly from me via a PM and buy for less than on that auction site!!!!

[​IMG][/URL]
  6. JStory

JStory Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just read through both of your threads. Any idea when you will have a universal top plate available? Will it be the same plate minus the tool pouch hole? Thanks.
  7. BRE

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your interest. I expect the universal top plate to be available in 2 weeks. It is very close to the same plate minus the tool kit cut, but it is also 1" shorter.
  8. JStory

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to buy a universal plate and a quick connect kit.
  9. BRE

Oddometer:
    That is good news, I will post here and send you a PM when they are available.

Steve
  10. JStory

Oddometer:
    Thank You.
  11. BRE

Oddometer:
    A 12" x 16" universal rack (you drill your own mounting holes) will be available in approximately 2 weeks. The rack will include the top box mount kit. I will post pictures of the new rack as soon as I have one available.

Price for the entire kit is $145.00

Free shipping to the CON US

Payment can be made via PayPal to:

backroadequipment@frontier.com
  12. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Reaver made me do it...

Oddometer:
    Any idea what USPS shipping to Canada would be? Specifically to Postal Code "N0J 1G0". I'm hoping that if it is shipped as "Automotive Parts, Made in USA" that there won't be any import duties... :ear

Thanks!
  13. Joe Houle

Joe Houle Adventurer

Oddometer:
    pre-order payment sent!

and now, we wait! :evil

This is going on my Speed Triple, but I was thinking if I put a piece of aluminum sheet in the bottom of a milk crate and mounted it that way, I could pass her off as a KLR...
  14. BRE

Oddometer:

Payment received, thank you. Be sure to post pictures of the beast with the rack here on this thread. :clap
  15. BRE

Oddometer:
    The universal racks are ready to ship.

The rack is 3/16" x 12" x 16" 6061 aluminum with grey hard anodized coating.
    It has a Rotopax mounting bolt pattern in the center of the rack and has the keyholes for the top box quick connect.

The rack includes four 1.0" diameter x 5/8" tall spacers that you may or may not use for mounting.

Drill your own mounting holes.

Rack only $94.95
    Rack with top box mounting puck kit $144.95.
    Free shipping to inmates in the CON US (approximately $20.00 value)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Top Box Quick Connect Kit
  16. BRE

Oddometer:
    bump
  17. BRE

Oddometer:
  18. JStory

Oddometer:
    Universal plate and quick mount ordered.
  19. BRE

Oddometer:
    Thanks JStory, unit shipped. What are you putting it on? Post a pic here if you would like.
  20. JStory

Oddometer:
    Its going on my R1100GS. I'll post a pic when its installed.
    I have a few different items that I would like to be able to mount to the plate. Have you considered selling the quick mount kit without latching lever?