Installing a CPR air filter on my 990

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by moto-treks, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you do that, call CPR before you order and get them to send you a plate without the mounting hole for the breather. That is what I did. The one way valve that is in line with the breather hose should eliminate the need for an actual crankcase filter, but it is a safe idea to fit one just in case.
  2. olec

olec Rookie

Oddometer:
    Any cons besides of taking care of eventually oil spill 'somewhere' rerouted?
  3. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No issue for me. Never had any oil out of it.
  4. Spark01

Spark01 V-Twin

Oddometer:

The extra pockets in the base plate didn't help (maybe a small life time extension) i replaced the base plate last week just in case and found cracks on both side at the D-zus back plates.
    And i had the same problem as you with the temp sensor(holes to big and no screws delivered).
    Lucky i have a small collection of stainless steel bolts in my garage :D

But i don't like the new routing of the crank case breather, as i still have the 2nd valve motor inplace.
    The hose is pushing against the front injector connector and the connectors of the 2nd valve motor.
    So i removed the hose and sealled the hole with a bolt and 2 washer with some rubber seallant inbetween.
    And ordered a small crankcase breather filter to put on the hose.

i think this also will help for lowering the intake temp some degrees. because the warm fumes from the crankcase will no longer enter in the airfilter.
  5. olec

olec Rookie

Oddometer:
    So you made an extra pocket on the old baseplate, but it didn't help (too much), and you reaplaced it with the updated baseplate now and then you found more cracks in the old one when removing it? (just to be sure before I order it that there are no more issues with the new one)
  6. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    I've installed the red prefilter, oiled with NoToil.
    It's a porous foam and I didn't notice any change in
    noise/performance.

'07 990 A Remus 2 to 1 Akro map CPR filter with prefilter.
    NoToil

I didn't know about the new plate without a hole for the oil breather
    tube so on mine I filled in the hole with JB Weld.
    I've always rerouted the breather to out side the air box
    on the five LC8's I've owned.

Max
  7. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:

Just wondering, whats the reason for attaching the hose to the inside to route the crankcase vent directly over a throttle body?
  8. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's the poor man's supercharger, with the added bonus of hot, oily crankcase vapors. No better place for it then directly down the throat of the carb.:huh Kidding aside, lots of bikes, KTM's real dirt bikes w/ FCR carbs, for example, have their crankcase vent hoses attatched directly to the carb manifold. It works fine. In the case of the CPR set up shown in the picture, my preference was a bit of a cleaner less homemade look, so I just left it outside.
  9. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    The stock configuration has the breather vented inside the air box so I'm guessing this is done so that reason. I'm sure it has something to do with EPA requirements too.

You can have the breather vented; 1) outside, 2) inside with hole directing the vapors to the intake or 3) inside with no hose. I thought I'd try inside with hose first. I may remove the hose and see what it looks like after a few hundred miles.
  10. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:
    I get the sarcasm... There was some in my original post too.

I've built a bunch of race bikes, changed everything except for the air in the tires, and I've never ran the crankcase vent into the airbox. More often, I've ran it down to just above the countershaft so any hot oily water vapor lands on the chain doing it some good, or simply putting a high mounted filter on it to keep the critters and water crossings out... been known to just stuff some filter foam inside the tube and zip tie it to the frame.:eek1

Correct, EPA. I'd at least dump the hose on the plate. Should you blow a water pump, these LC8's are known to chug that tasty looking chocolate milkshake mixture of emulsified oil, water and antifreeze up that hose... and right into your throttle body... which would make the whole thing suck much worse.
  11. Spark01

Spark01 V-Twin

Oddometer:
    No
    those pockets where made in the OLD type base plate to have clearance between the plate and the 2nd valve motor and idle speed motor:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19546904&postcount=64
    Otherwise it would be installed under stress, but the cracks i found where in the tabs not around the pockets.

I installed the new type last week so.. no feedback of strenght issue's. but according Chris from CPR the new plates should be stronger than the old ones.
  12. Lelos950

Lelos950 KTM 950 S

Oddometer:
    Dear friends, has anyone tried the CPR air filter on 950 adventure? What is the improvement, concerning throttle responce, horsepower, gas consumption? Is it worth spending money? What other adjustments are required, concerning carburator jetting etc.
  13. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=786119
  14. olec

olec Rookie

Oddometer:
    Ordered, received, installed and tested on an '11 990R. Already tuned for motohooligan airbox with K&N, and the CPR breathes quite similar to the old setup. I am happy.
    Best part was that it is more quiet compared to the K&N which has this very sharp bark between 4 and 5K. The CPR flattens this out and just breathes with a good base tune.

No bolts and nylock nuts included (as pointed out earlier). The fit could be more precise becaue if you lock one of the quarter turn tabs first, it's very hard to lock the second and vice versa. I think the whole issue is that it's difficult to get the filter enough over to the right side when the lip of the filter goes under that base on the left side. Maybe it will get more play after some more usage, but lets see.

I ordered a baseplate w/o breather hole bc that hose is now just venting to air in front of filter, ending in a filter sock zip tied to the frame.

Cheers!
  15. geometrician

geometrician let's keep going...

Oddometer:
    I have a set of FCR39's to put on my 950 but am not really keen on using the K&N air filter pods that come in the SUDCO kit

Would this filter system work with FCRs? I think that would be the ticket! :deal

That way I won't have to build my own airbox... :lol3
  16. Johnf3

Johnf3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    No. Not even close.
  17. blublapp

blublapp Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It will if you build your own baseplate for FCR's....
  18. Spark01

Spark01 V-Twin

Oddometer:
    It could with a custom base plate :evil
    http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p18/BASE-PLATE-BLANK-ALLOY/product_info.html

But i don't know if this base plate has the exact same size like the CPR.
    So you also can buy a matching ITG jC30-100 filter.
    With filter socks
    http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p145/ITG-FILTER-JC30-100/product_info.html
    http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p...ER-SOCK-FOR-JC30-AIR-FILTER/product_info.html

As used by another inmate:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18875435&postcount=300
  19. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:
    I made my own for my 950. Its not so hard... In fact, I feel mine is a superior product with a more secure gasket to carb flange mount and its 6061 aluminum, not gonna crack.

[​IMG]

If theres anyone with a 990 in NC, I'd gladly help someone make their own. :freaky
  20. howl

howl 990 Adventure

Oddometer:
    I like the idea of making your own Mr Sporting Wood,as £200 for the CRP is a bit steep (bit poor at the moment) Has any one got a template drawing for the 990 they could post ? I'm sure I could fabricate one using a jigsaw and file. Money saved would help pay for DYNO time .Have got the Akra tune, can't need much more fuel surely .