3 Kaboom's, 3 Dudes, and a Chick ride Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, Montana

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by zeegman, Feb 12, 2012.

1. 5 speed

5 speed Long timer

Oddometer:
    I also have been wearing a Variant as a replacement for my Arai XD. It is quieter and there may be a slight benefit in visor lift over the Arai. It has more airflow vs my old XD and living in FL that is a real benefit. I do not like how the shield attaches and it doesn't lock like the Arai ( and I would say no where near the quality either). I am still looking.....
  2. zeegman

zeegman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 5 Aug 25

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Day five included sweeping mountain views from ridge tops along Gravelly Range, and would be about 200 miles.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    We would also see Brundage Bridge, Red Rock Pass, meet up with foreigner bikers, cross back and forth between Idaho and Montana, visit Island Park Lodge, and end up a great camp spot near pristine waters.
    [​IMG]
    After gassing up we left Dillon for the nice mellow country roads to the East<o:p></o:p>
    Here is Paul stopped along the roadside with rolling mountains on either side of the road – not a sole to be seen – it was a bit cooler with very light sprinkles and overcast clouds but that was fine as it kept the dust down. <o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    Entering Beaverhead forest<o:p></o:p>

[​IMG]
    Nice forested valleys
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    <o:p>We passed this lone house just before the turnoff North onto North Continental Divide road
    <o:p>We reach the turn off and Jeremy heads North to Gravelly Range</o:p>
    <o:p>After travelling several miles on a freshly graded lumpy road that looked like this
    <o:p>We reach the road (290) that takes us in a loop around the range</o:p>
    <o:p>Paul is excited to see the mountains ahead and gives a rider’s salute.
    <o:p>Paul/Jill travel over a wooden bridge on the way up and it looks like Paul’s coolant bottle is a little low.
    <o:p>The start of the mountains
    <o:p>And with mountains comes streams, and with streams come fish, and with fish come Anglers
    <o:p>[IMG]https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/M/Mike_Zieglmeier_foreverwest5_IMG_0227.jpg[/IMG]</o:p>
    <o:p>[COLOR=white][FONT=Arial]Getting closer to the mountains[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=white][FONT=Arial]<o:p>[IMG]https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/M/Mike_Zieglmeier_foreverwest5_DSCN0708.jpg[/IMG]</o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=white][FONT=Arial]<o:p>[COLOR=white][FONT=Arial]We stop for a lunch break and water at a rustic little rest stop[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=white][FONT=Arial]<o:p>[IMG]https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/M/Mike_Zieglmeier_foreverwest5_DSCN0711.jpg[/IMG]</o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=white][FONT=Arial]<o:p>[IMG]https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/M/Mike_Zieglmeier_foreverwest5_DSCN0712.jpg[/IMG]</o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=white][FONT=Arial]<o:p>[COLOR=white][FONT=Arial]After the break we head off into a small road in a narrow canyon along side a pristine mountain stream.<o:p></o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=white][FONT=Arial]Here is video of my approach into the canyon and my splash in the puddles.<o:p></o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]

</o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]
    </o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]</o:p>
    </o:p>

<IFRAME height=720 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Lq1_5e3aor4" frameBorder=0 width=960 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
    Followed by Jeremy’s splash in the puddles.
    <o:p></o:p>
    <IFRAME height=480 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Snu4-ZLp5DE" frameBorder=0 width=853 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
    We start making a climb up into the mountains on a windy switch back road and finally pop out on the top ridge meadows
    <o:p>for a huge panorama view
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>Here is a panorama video view of the mountains from up top. When you are on top everywhere you look is awesome scenery.

<IFRAME height=480 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6k-ns8o0ZOQ" frameBorder=0 width=853 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
    Some of the vegetation on the way up to the top along the red rock roads
    <o:p>Some video of the travels on the ridge </o:p>
    <IFRAME height=720 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/apYvXP7rdSg" frameBorder=0 width=960 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
    Some wildlife up there – a lone pronghorn and a beautiful huge hawk stand on guard
    <o:p>Makin our way to an awesome peak in the distance
    <o:p>There is so much scenery it takes your breath away so you need to take a break every once and a awhile to catch your breath as Jill does by this stream
    <o:p>Video of the road near the peak (with ATVs with a dog on the back – frikin traffic jam)

<IFRAME height=720 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CHVGMXKUNgc" frameBorder=0 width=960 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
    Saw a horsedrawn chuckwagon high up on the mountain ridges.
    <o:p>There was a tiny rain shower now and then but nothing to complain about
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>We then started our descent down from the Gravelly range – too bad but the views were great and the summer flowers were out in full force.
    <o:p>We left the Gravelly range behind and headed South East over Brundage Bridge
    <o:p>After the bridge we headed further East to Red Rock Pass
    [​IMG]
    Along the way we stopped for a break at a place called “Center for Earth Concerns”
    <o:p>There were several nice cabins and some old relic farm machinery, and some wild Canadians!<o:p></o:p>
    They were from Alberta and Saskatchewan and were dong the Continental Divide ride from North to South on KTMs and A BMW 1200GS.<o:p></o:p>

[​IMG]
    It was a ADV rider convention!
    <o:p>We chatted about our rides for a bit and since they were heading in the same direction we might see them again on the way and bid Adieu!
    Headed East towards Continental Divide we saw a neat Ranch entrance<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>We finally reach the Continental Divide
    <o:p>Jeremy straddles the Continental Divide
    <o:p>We were energized by getting to the Continental Divide - Jeremy was rockin it good after that
    [IMG]https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/M/Mike_Zieglmeier_foreverwest5_DSC00765.jpg[/IMG]
    [COLOR=white][FONT=Arial]and reached Hwy 20 soon after and headed south towards Island Park Lodge<o:p></o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]
    <o:p>[IMG]https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/M/Mike_Zieglmeier_foreverwest5_DSCN0769.jpg[/IMG]</o:p>
    <o:p>[COLOR=white][FONT=Arial]This place was very rustic inside and has a long history [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=white][FONT=Arial]<o:p>[IMG]https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/M/Mike_Zieglmeier_foreverwest5_IMG_0253.jpg[/IMG]</o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=white][FONT=Arial]<o:p>[COLOR=white][FONT=Arial]We sat down and had a good evening meal[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=white][FONT=Arial][IMG]https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/M/Mike_Zieglmeier_foreverwest5_DSCN0763.jpg[/IMG][/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=white][FONT=Arial]<o:p>[COLOR=white][FONT=Arial]Went to the gas station and the store was pretty good too – gotta love the bear. [/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=white][FONT=Arial]<o:p>[IMG]https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/M/Mike_Zieglmeier_foreverwest5_DSCN0768.jpg[/IMG]</o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=white][FONT=Arial]<o:p>[COLOR=white][FONT=Arial]We drove along the road east from the store about 5 miles to a beautiful campground called Big Springs with almost nobody in it except Canadians! <o:p></o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=white][FONT=Arial]There goes the neighborhood. We caught up with the same guys we saw earlier on bikes. We all camped together.<o:p></o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]

[IMG]https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/M/Mike_Zieglmeier_foreverwest5_IMG_0255.jpg[/IMG]
    [COLOR=white][FONT=Arial]Big Springs campground is the site of a pristine natural spring called Big Spring that drains into Henry’s Fork and is where Sockeye Salmon and Big trout spawn.<o:p></o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=white][FONT=Arial]It is designated a National Natural Landmark so it is a protected site with no fishing allowed to keep it pristine.<o:p></o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=white][FONT=Arial]It was getting dark and did not see any fish in the pond there that night but we had a fire and some hot chocolate and declared this to be one the most memorable days of the trip. <o:p></o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=white][FONT=Arial]We had a very sound sleep and the next day morning would bring some awesome surprises.<o:p></o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]

</o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]</o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]</o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]</o:p>
  3. Nut Clutch

Nut Clutch was Steve Lavigne

Oddometer:
    Just wait, they'll be saying that about us.

Thanks for the ride report. Looks like a good trip.
    Shady Pass David likes this.
  4. lvscrvs

lvscrvs Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    love your video and pics..... absolutely gorgeous country... thanks!!!
  5. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Looks like an awesome trip! Thanks for sharing
  6. zeegman

zeegman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Day six started with a great surprise in the morning at the Big Springs pond right bedside the campground.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    The day would include our early morning wildlife encounters, sweeping forested valleys, Wyoming border, a scary lightning storm in the middle of the forest,<o:p></o:p>
    massive mountain views at the Grand Teton National park, and would be about 203 miles long.<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    After breakfast we took a little walk around the Big Spring pond at the campsite
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There was a small historic cabin and a little pump house with a working water wheel.
    <o:p>But Paul and Jill were the early birds and spotted the main attraction - wildlife<o:p></o:p>
    There were three mooses munching on the pond veggies. They seemed very content as we were very close to them without spooking them.<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The moose decided to get to greener pastures and crossed the road to get to the stream on the other side<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After the moose wondered off we saw something moving in the waters of under the bridge over the stream.<o:p></o:p>
    Several large trout were lazily swimming under the bridge, here is one of them<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]

And several bright red Sockeye Salmon<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]

Luckily for these guys and the moose this is a protected area so no hunting or fishing allowed.<o:p></o:p>
    Well it was time to hit the road and so we headed South and hit the dirt.<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]

After a while we passed Mesa Falls &#8211; we decided to press on since we were a bit behind at this point.<o:p></o:p>

[​IMG]
    A little further on we started to see some rain &#8211; we had a bit of rain off and on throughout the day but it was nothing major<o:p></o:p>
    You can also see the Grand Teton&#8217;s off in the distance &#8211; a destination later in the day<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    We saw some lightning bolts flashing in the distance and Jeremy stopped at this lake (Indian) that was almost completed choked by lilys to try and catch a lightning bolt on film without success<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    Just beyond the lake was a dam and you can see the station downhill<o:p></o:p>

[​IMG]
    We then started to make our way into John D. Rockefeller Parkway
    [​IMG]
    and through a forest that had been hit by a forest fire by the looks of the burnt and downed trees.<o:p></o:p>
    But it was still very scenic as we were skirting around the North end of the Grand Tetons.<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    We felt a little exposed here with no trees as there was still some light rain off and on and we could see lightning strikes and hear the thunder getting closer and closer.<o:p></o:p>
    One lightning strike came down very close to us as the thunder happened almost at the same time as the strike and it was really loud!<o:p></o:p>
    So we did not stick around too long and made our way east to hwy 191.We headed South into Grand Teton&#8217;s National Park<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]

Our first views of the Majestic Mountains
    <o:p>Paul and Jill standing to get a good view and the mountains behind
    <o:p>A great panorama view and Paul
    <o:p>Paul and Jill and mountains
    <o:p>So we were enjoying the scenery so much we forgot to look at a few very important signs
    <o:p>At one point Jeremy disappeared and we waited for a while and wondered what happened.<o:p></o:p>
    Well as luck would have it Jeremy found the one cop in the whole park and he got busted for speeding!<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    At this point it was about noon and we were really hungry so we stopped in the park visitors center for fuel, supplies, and food<o:p></o:p>

Some video of us approaching the Visitor center

<IFRAME height=480 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/4TIbV7BH2_M" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
    We gassed up our bikes and parked them outside the grocery store
    <o:p>We had lunch at this place &#8211; I had an awesome buffalo burger with all the fixins
    <o:p>Jeremy was scoping out a new set of wheels &#8211; maybe this would help him slow down
    <o:p>After the meal we wondered over to our bikes to get ready to go and some guy comes up to me and tells me my bike is leaking. <o:p></o:p>
    I got to the bike and sure enough there was a huge puddle of gas under the bike and so I opened up the gas cap on the tank and even more fuel came pouring out.<o:p></o:p>
    What was happening is we have auxiliary 2 gallon tanks in addition to the main 5 gallon tank. The auxiliary tank is supposed to be shut off from the main tanks until the main is empty.<o:p></o:p>
    I did not shut it off and filled all three tanks up with fuel. It was a hot day and bikes were still warm and so the fuel expanded and pushed fuel out the top of the main tank.<o:p></o:p>
    My bike was covered in fuel and I just let it evaporate. Good thing nobody had a cigarette or it would have been a bad scene. Lesson learned. <o:p></o:p>
    We mounted the bikes and slowly headed out of the park but took a few last good pictures on the way out.<o:p></o:p>

Video of us leaving the visitor center

<IFRAME height=480 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A6LUnjV8Ocs" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Some kind of dam just off the Snake River
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>After the park we headed East on Hwy 287 and hit some road construction
    <o:p>We had to follow a pilot car &#8211; I wonder what would happen if we didn&#8217;t &#8211; after all we were on dual sport bikes
    <o:p>Hwy 287 started to bend South and we passed some really cool hoodoos and red rock
    <o:p>It was getting late in the day and we were nearing the turn off for the Union Pass dirt road. <o:p></o:p>
    As you can see in the photo there were rather dark looking clouds in the direction we needed to head to get to the next campsite.<o:p></o:p>
    Paul and Jill wanted to camp &#8211; Jeremy wanted to hotel it &#8211; I had to decide. I was worried about the clouds so I wimped out and decide to hotel it.<o:p></o:p>
    So Jeremy and I rode into Dubois and got a hotel. Paul and Jill braved the dark clouds to go camping for the night.<o:p></o:p>
    Here is the view Paul and Jill saw as the rode along Union Pass<o:p></o:p>

[​IMG]
    And then miraculously the clouds disappeared and sun shone through at a nice little creek.
    [​IMG]
    They carried on in full sun through the Teton Forest
    <o:p>They were looking for a spot to camp but one must be careful in the woods. I wonder if the Grizzley bears know what the &#8220;special rules&#8221; are?
    <o:p>The lonely hillside
    <o:p>Paul/Jill found a nice campsite just off the road complete with curious cows</o:p>
    <o:p>Home sweet home &#8211; at least for one night</o:p>
    <o:p>[IMG]https://www.advrider.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/M/Mike_Zieglmeier_DSC00952.jpg[/IMG]</o:p>
    <o:p>[COLOR=#eaf1dd][FONT=Arial]A pretty decent day with wildlife sightings, dodging lightning bolts, awesome mountains, evil cops, gas spewing bikes, construction delays, and cows in the campsite.<o:p></o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=#eaf1dd][FONT=Arial]Tomorrow would bring seemingly endless wide open dusty roads, parting of the ways, getting slightly lost and the home of the &#8220;Big Cone&#8221; <o:p></o:p>[/FONT][/COLOR]

7. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Mosquitos? They're voracious there in summer.
  8. LittleWan

LittleWan You can do it!

Oddometer:
    Nice!
    Man, you guys have such amazing luck with finding wildlife (Paul's bighorn in DV, etc)...
    You're right, that is a great pano. LOVE the tetons.

Heh, after meeting your group in person, these little tidbits are really fun...:wink:
    I can totally hear that conversation in my head!

Good job, Mike - I know it's a ton of work to do a long ride report...
    Just keep chipping away at it - You can do it!

:type
  9. zeegman

zeegman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Kelly,

thanks for the motivation.
    This last day report was extremely frustrating since it took three tries to enter it.
    Lost about 4 hours doing it.
    The website logged me out twice in the middle of entering the pictures.:puke1
    The timeout period must be way too short or it is not recognizing I am working on a report or something like that.
    It takes time to enter a lot of pictures and text and embed video.

Anyways I will continue till the whole thing is done but about 1 day per week.

Mike Z
  10. DARKRYDER

DARKRYDER Hung Up My Boots for Now

Oddometer:
    Other than getting a speeding ticket in a national park and the group getting separated after lunch, this was a great day of riding. Here is a panoramic shot I took of the Grand Teton mountains...this park is just gorgeous!
  11. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mike - I got punked too with a timeout one time. I always just do my reports in a TXT document, then copy the whole damn thing into the post. I spent over an hour at work reading this update on Friday....good job.
  12. Deleted4248

Deleted4248 Guest

Very nice RR! :thumb I have done some of the same roads as you guys and the history is truly amazing in the Old West. Love the pics and vids too! :clap
  13. Av8rPaul

Av8rPaul Have bike will travel

Oddometer:
    Wow, what a great trip! Thanks for putting forth all the effort to document so well and share!
  14. Just Paul

Just Paul Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer:
    Mike,

I have a program called CLIPMATE

if you have a smugmug account you can just copy copy copy copy copy all your photos that you want in your report .. then inside clipmate glue then post ... that will take all the pics and put them in place... then hit submit... once your photos are uploaded you can open your text document and paste the txt to match the pics.. its easy and fast... and you wil never hit a timeout

next time you are over here let me show you.. I can post 30 pics in about 3 min.. then paste in the txt is another 12 or so seconds per pic..
  15. zeegman

zeegman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 7 Aug 27<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    Day 7 would see us riding across the vast emptiness of Wyoming, chasing Pronghorn, visiting Parting of the Ways, Farson, home of the big Cone, <o:p></o:p>
    Oregon Buttes, Twin Mounds , and getting slightly lost. The distance was just over 200 miles.<o:p></o:p>
    After breakfast at our hotel in Dubois, Jeremy and I sped West to join Paul and Jill at their camping spot on the Union Pass.<o:p></o:p>
    We zipped by this place just on the start of the Union road dirt.<o:p></o:p>

[​IMG]
    Some video of the Union pass road

<IFRAME height=720 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ce7CxDz5Rj0" frameBorder=0 width=960 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
    Here are Paul/Jill at the campsite all packed up and ready to leave.<o:p></o:p>
    Some of the cows were moving around them during the night but they got a good rest anyways.<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]
    A video of the exit from the campsite:<o:p></o:p>
    <IFRAME height=480 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ivjHOloQsJU" frameBorder=0 width=853 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
    Once on the Union pass again we were heading West in full sunshine there awesome forestry road.
    [​IMG]
    And passed over nice quiet streams<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p><o:p></o:p>
    We zipped along until we saw this sign on the Green river<o:p></o:p>

[​IMG]
    It describes the usage of the Green river to float railroad Ties down stream to the building sites of the Transcontinental Railroad.<o:p></o:p>
    Since timber was scarce down there in Utah so they logged it here in Wyoming for use down there.<o:p></o:p>
    As we go further South on our trip this day you will see why they picked this spot for timber.<o:p></o:p>
    Later we popped out of the forest and headed into the town of Pinedale for fuel at our favorite Wyoming gas stop &#8211; Sinclair<o:p></o:p>

[​IMG]

When in Wyoming and you need Dinojuice just look for the big Green Dinosaur on the top and your good!<o:p></o:p>
    We caught some good views of the continental Divide ridge mountains out of Pinedale.<o:p></o:p>

[​IMG]

There was a convenient sign there to remind us just in case we forgot
    [​IMG]
    A little ways after Pinedale we hit the dirt again and made our way on the Big Sandy Elkhorn cutoff and over to the Lander cutoff. <o:p></o:p>
    The scenery started to change to more barren desert and scrub bush terrain.<o:p></o:p>
    We saw some interesting layered rocks in a cutaway.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>We were heading to the hills ahead
    [​IMG]
    The roads were fast and we were making good time<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>Until we had a little mixup
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>The GPS unit Paul and Jeremy use is a Garmin Zumo 660, and I use an ancient Garmin 276c.<o:p></o:p>
    They use routes and I normally use tracks. But this particular time I used routes. <o:p></o:p>
    The only bad thing about routes is that the computer needs to find roads to create the route whereas<o:p></o:p>
    tracks do not change if there is a road or not (which can also be good or bad).<o:p></o:p>
    I was following behind Jeremy and Paul was further ahead.<o:p></o:p>
    I had to stop for a wizz and I wanted to put my Gopro video camera on my helmet to capture some good video.<o:p></o:p>
    I stopped, wizzed, and started to put my camera on when the screw bolt holding it on fell out and rolled off the road into the ditch, I thought.<o:p></o:p>
    But I could not find it. I frantically search for 10 minutes and could not find it. So I gave up and started to roll the bike forward when I saw a <o:p></o:p>
    shiney object under where my wheel was. I found it! I mounted the camera turned it on and took off.<o:p></o:p>
    The problem was that Jeremy and Paul/Jill did not see me for 15 minutes and thought I might be in trouble. <o:p></o:p>
    So Paul stayed put and Jeremy roared back to see if he could find me. <o:p></o:p>
    I sped towards Jeremy and followed the route, however my GPS routed differently than Jeremy&#8217;s GPS and as you will<o:p></o:p>
    see in the next video I went off the road into someone&#8217;s private ranch, and road got worse and worse until it finally went back on the road again.<o:p></o:p>
    Jeremy was on the road and went past exactly when I was off the road and we missed each other.<o:p></o:p>
    I kept cruising on until I met Paul and he asked me if I saw Jeremy &#8211; I said I did not. So we sat and waited for Jeremy.<o:p></o:p>
    Sure enough he comes by and is a little flustered as he had to double back and forward again, wasting gas, to find me.<o:p></o:p>
    All in all everybody was OK but it illustrated a point that one can trust the technology a bit too much at times and it also <o:p></o:p>
    brings up the question &#8220;how long do you wait for someone, before going back to find them?&#8221;<o:p></o:p>
    Off-course video<o:p></o:p>

<IFRAME height=720 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ol_oWhMD8H4" frameBorder=0 width=960 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
    At this point we had stopped at a high point overlooking the vast empty open desert which I believe is the &#8220;Big Empty&#8221;.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Panarama video of the Big Empty<o:p></o:p>

<IFRAME height=720 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ek3fokSEvRw" frameBorder=0 width=1280 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
    I was telling Paul that I think I could see my house from here
    [​IMG]
    Video on the Big Empty<o:p></o:p>
    <IFRAME height=720 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uUf4B3xhfm8" frameBorder=0 width=960 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

<o:p>Jill chillin out and having a break on the Big Empty.
    [​IMG]
    Paul was digging it on the open roads<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>Paul and Jill came up on a small herd of Pronghorn which decided to stay in front of them for quite a while
    [​IMG]

<IFRAME height=720 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RbsZ_dCN8Vs" frameBorder=0 width=960 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
    It was pretty hot and dry out there and you had to keep hydrated and watch out to the odd deeper sandy spot or you might end up like this guy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We made our way south until we hit the historic Oregon trail<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>Actually we hit a spot where four different trails converged &#8211; Jeremy is trying to figure out which one to take.
    <o:p>There is a concrete marker there with four trails marked on the four different sided on the marker:<o:p></o:p>
    California trail<o:p></o:p>

[​IMG]
    Oregon trail
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>Mormon trail
    [​IMG]
    Pony Express trail<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>We made our way down to the famous &#8220;Parting of the Ways&#8221; fork in the road where early settlers had to decide which path to choose.<o:p></o:p>
    Picking the wrong one might mean the end!<o:p></o:p>
    We had a little drama leading up to this spot as there was one deep sand pit that was deep and soft as you rounded a corner and Jeremy and I <o:p></o:p>
    almost lost it there. luckly no one went down.
    [​IMG]

Jeremy makes his choice &#8211; fortunately it was a good one.
    [​IMG]
    This picture shows it is a little rougher in this spot
    [​IMG]
    Jeremy had a little tip over in this sandy rut<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>We visited Little Sandy Crossing which is a bridge over a little stream and was a camping and resting place for immigrants and their livestock <o:p></o:p>
    headed to Oregon, California, or Utah. It was also where George Donner was elected to lead the Donner Party which had a tragic end in California
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>It was hot out and there was no shade so we were glad to head into Farson city for a break.
    [​IMG]
    We stopped in at Farson mercantile &#8220;home of the Big Cone&#8221;
    [​IMG]
    Paul found out how big a Big Cone really is
    [​IMG]
    <o:p>After a brief stop in Farson we headed East on hwy 28 until the Lander cutoff and Oregon Buttes trails<o:p></o:p>
    We saw some big buttes like this one that looks like a Battleship<o:p></o:p>

[​IMG]
    We saw Twin Mounds &#8211; early immigrants used landscapes like this to figure out if they were on the right trail or not
    [​IMG]
    And finally Oregon Buttes, significant landmark to early settlers marking the beginning of Oregon territory
    [​IMG]
    [FONT=Arial]At this point we started looking for a place to camp. <o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]The best place to camp is a little site on BLM land at N42.38815 W108.62068.<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]These are primitive campsites so one needs to bring your own supplies and pack out garbage which is normal for the camping we do.<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]There is a lot of private land along the route in this area so it is best to avoid disturbing it to ensure that we continue to have access to these great historic old trails.<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Another great day on the historic trails of the Big Empty West.<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]Tomorrow would see us riding more Big Empty, cruising through oil and gas fields, Paul getting his first Flat In Wamsutter, <o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial]cruising into the Medicine Bow forests, Aspen Alley, torrential rain and hail at Battle Pass and relief in Encampment <o:p></o:p>[/FONT]

16. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    This is an amazing report. Curious about your videos: Do you edit them much, or at all? Any particular program?
  17. zeegman

zeegman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Tony,

no editting was done.
    Raw video from GoPro HD straight to Youtube.

I have a GoPro 2 now which is even better so the vidoes will be clearer for this summers off road advetures.

MZ

18. rckt grl

rckt grl Sportbike Addict

Oddometer:
    Nice report! I am hopeful to see the Tetons someday and love seeing photos. It looks like you all had a fantastic trip! :clap
  19. Bazi

Bazi n00b

Oddometer:
    Great Report ,Nice to read and dream

Greetings from Germany
  20. Bronco3738

Bronco3738 Mike

Oddometer:
    Great report. The pics of the areas are awesome. Thanks for taking the time to post. I can't wait for the rest of the trip