AR-NWA ADV BS thread

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by Elvis70, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Whizzy

Whizzy Arky by choice

Oddometer:
    Second that:thumb
  2. mattmus4357

mattmus4357 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fayetteville, AR, USA, North America, Earth
    Well thanks for putting me to shame :( I'd like to fly a Lear, that could be a ways off though. A King Air or Pilatus PC12 is my dream rig, as "uncool" as they may be.
  3. mattmus4357

Oddometer:
    Summit up in Bville keeps a really nice Ercoupe. I'd like to fly it sometime
  4. Helipilot

Helipilot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Elvis 70: Congratulations on the upgrade in the 407.:clap. I also think the seats are much more comfortable than the 206. Have fun with your new ride and fly safe.

Roger
  5. Whizzy

Whizzy Arky by choice

Oddometer:
    Today I trailered in a yard of topsoil amd a yard of mushroom compost for my raised bed garden. Unloaded it by hand in the pouring rain. Finally finished and went into the house to dry off so I could go to the shop to build a table for Vic. Walked outside and the weather had cleared and the sun was shining. :huh Guess I should have planned my workday in reverse. :fpalm
  6. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    abt all I can fly anymore is my middle finger! :fyyff
  7. ozarkrider

ozarkrider Discombobulated Sociopath

Oddometer:
    Don't be too impressed. The Lears and Citations were done as a right seater on maint check rides. I was just there in case something went bad wrong so they'd have somebody to blame it on. :lol3

My fave plane to fly is a Long-Eze. Canard planes are fun.:clap
  8. mattmus4357

Oddometer:
    Anyone but the PIC! :rofl

Are you an A&P mech? Do they still have the A&P school down at Drake?
  9. mdawg12

mdawg12 Old and Slow

Oddometer:
    Garmin Montana - who has one? What model? What do you think?
  10. Valentino Magoo

Valentino Magoo Like a speeding slug Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hint: http://www.wunderground.com/ :deal
  11. tokyoklahoma

tokyoklahoma 75%has been 25%wanabe

Oddometer:
    We haven't been in a couple of years.....so IDK.:ear
  12. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Got the 650T. Good unit, but typical Garmin, has it's short comings. God I want Google to build a stand alone GPS soooooooo bad.
  13. tokyoklahoma

tokyoklahoma 75%has been 25%wanabe

Oddometer:
    The Ozark Smokehouse was closed, when we went through there on our way to the Apple Festival. Is it open again?
  14. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    +1 to that. I just downloaded Google's new navigation app for the iPhone and all I can say is watch out Garmin. If it was GPS based instead of cell tower based, I could see no reason to have a Garmin at all. So much better.
  15. terrascout

terrascout Long timer

Oddometer:
    NW Arkansas, Hills and Curves close at hand
    Don't know, I have not been there in a while. It's a shame if it is closed down for good. One of the few hill side barns of any size in the area.
  16. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Couple problems with a cell phone as a GPS is that the screens don't work with gloves on, battery life is atrocious when running a GPS app, and they aren't hardened, so mounting them to the bike with all the vibration and lack of waterproofing wil probably kill one pretty quick. That's why I wold really love to see them come out with actual GPS hardware as well as a downloadable map solution. I have no doubt they would kick Garmin's butt.
  17. Valentino Magoo

Valentino Magoo Like a speeding slug Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1.

Unfortunately, I don't know if the market is big enough for Google to step into hardware. If the Google Map app starts to use the GPS circuitry as well as cell-tower-based in the new cell phones (like Scribe suggests), then I see the consumer car GPS market drying up. That could really hurt Garmin, and really only leave them with the "outdoor" GPS market. Is that a big enough? I don't know.

I think building a more water proof and shock resistant phones (or isolation carriers) is more likely than Google actually producing hardware. Unfortunately. But I support the dream of a Google GPS Unit with Downloadable maps.
  18. ozarkrider

ozarkrider Discombobulated Sociopath

Oddometer:
    RAM makes a mount to hold cell phones in a "claw" type of holder. DaMoron has one on his WeeStrom and it worked great on our trip to VT last year. Keep the power plugged in and it functioned just as well as my Garmin unit.
  19. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:

Google has announced they will be building brick and mortar stores. Gonna need something besides a couple laptops, cell phones, and tablets to fill those stores. :D
  20. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Can't speak for other smart phones, but an iPhone will actually discharge while plugged in and running a real time GPS app like Motion GPX. And once again, it's not waterproof, can't use it with gloves, and it's not hardened against vibration. Put enough miles on it strapped onto a bike and it will fail from the vibes. Never mind the fact if you get n a wreck and destroy the phone, gonna make it hard to call for help. :lol3