HID Conversion on a 12GS (pictorial)

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by JimVonBaden, Nov 27, 2007.

1. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I had the same problem when I installed my older HID H7 kit. Mine has a wiring harness that had a relay and was powered off the battery but also had 2 leads to the headlight socket. When I removed the harness to the battery and powered the ballast off the bike's harness, it would do exactly what you describe. So, I went back to wiring it off the battery with a relay and it's been good for the last couple of years. Mine is first gen (??) HID that I've had on a previous bike and is about 5 years old. I'll be replacing it soon with a new gen utlra slim ballast HID kit.
  2. johnlt

johnlt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run HID H7s on both high and low beam in addition to two Hella Mico HID aux lights triggered on high beam. I can start the bike with the high beam (and Hella aux lights) on and get no faults. The system really adds a lot of light. When all are on inside my garage with the white garage door down, it swamps my V1 laser detector which alarms. That's a lot of light!!
    [​IMG]
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    No issues at all, and no appreciable heat.

My left one is now mounted to my plastic cover on the fuel pump.

Jim :brow
  4. Gros Buck

Gros Buck Beef = Packed Vegetables

Oddometer:
    You tell us where you will get your slim ballast ...

Paul Jr
    R1200GSA oO
  5. RoundTrip

RoundTrip Unintentional deerslayer

Oddometer:
    Hey John,

I'd sure like to get a looksee at those lights and how you mounted them. Any chance I can meet you somewhere and buy you a cup of (insert favorite beverage here)?

-jeff
  6. Paul Mihalka

Paul Mihalka Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Some times it can be a stupid little thing. On my whole trip to Utah in September I had a intermittent low beam, but reliable high beam. I push/pulled on the wiring inside the headlight, changed bulbs, cleaned connections, nothing. Finally at home I found that at the main plug-in where the harness connects to the headlight the springclip was lost, and the connection to the low beam was intermittent but high beam was OK.
  7. johnlt

johnlt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure, I PMed you my phone#,

john
  8. rsimpson

rsimpson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Paul, it may be the connection, because the light was flickering this morning before it shut off. It comes on everytime I start the bike though.. weird. What a bummer...
  9. NWBoarder

NWBoarder Whitmeister

Oddometer:
    I too have been reading up on HID conversions, and I am ready to order.

I am currently running some cheapo amber fog lights (so I can be seen) during my 46 mi commute, but they do nothing for illuminating the road. I will likely convert the low beam first and decide later if I want to do the high beam too. I don't want to be blinding and pissing off drivers. According to what I have read the the reflector on the R12GS works well with HID bulbs.

Now I need to decide between the 35W kit or a 50W kit. The 50W kits are claimed to be about 40% brighter than the 35W kits and in most cases twice as much money.

To those of you with first hand expirence, is it worth it to go for the 50W HID kits? Who did you order from? And are you happy with the kit?
  10. NWBoarder

NWBoarder Whitmeister

Oddometer:
    Johnlt,
    That is one nice looking setup!
    I like the red grill too.

Question: what is the "pod" attached to your upper crashbars, that says Touratech on it?
  11. ilmostro

ilmostro Under Da Sea

Oddometer:
    My "slim" kit arrived yesterday and I'm going to send it back.

5' of wire and 7 connectors per bulb is ridiculous. There is not an inconspicuous or tasteful way to hide this mess.

I think I'll leave the HID for the sake of HID folks to their vices and explore a more traditional route to enhanced lighting.
  12. johnlt

johnlt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These are small zippered pouchs for storage. I store my bike cover in one of them and rain gloves in the other. I've sure they'd get torn up in a simple crash but got them anyway.
  13. johnlt

johnlt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was requested to provide some close-ups of my light mounting plateform. Here are a couple close-ups. I used a 1/8” aluminum plate cut to size and polished. I mounted it at an angle where it would sit flat across both the large and small bars. I then drilled two holes through the plate and bar at the rear and one hole at the front and mounted it with #8 stainless steel allen head bolts with SS locking nuts. It seems to be rock solid and I really don’t think it hurt the bars strength much. The front bolt/nut was positioned in the middle of the lower “U” piece that holds the OEM fog lights. Hope this helps

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. NBeener

NBeener Long timer

Oddometer:
    johnit:

Really nice job!

:thumb

15. Grad

Grad Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I finally finished my HID installation, using JVBs invaluable guide. I was very nervous when I first fired her up, dreading a LAMPf error or something else. Fortunately, both lights work great and the output is INCREDIBLE!!!

Using rsimpson's idea, I mounted the ballasts on my crossbar. I spraypainted everything silver to keep it looking clean. I am also going to replace the black corrugated loom with silver that I will order online. I am happy with how it looks :thumb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the difference in light is simply superb. I put my camera in manual mode and shot this photo at an aperture of 3.2 and a shutter speed of 1 second (400 iso). This is the original lighting:

[​IMG]

and here is the lighting with a full HID conversion. I used the exact same camera settings and took the photo at the same time of night, so there is no exposure trickery here. Note: the fogs are on as well, but they are aimed very low and don't really affect the forward area.
    :eek1
    [​IMG]

All in all, the $90 for an HID conversion is probably the best bang for your buck that you can find for the GS.
  16. NBeener

NBeener Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aaaaaa-men.

Nice pics.

Welcome to the world of the night!
  17. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Looks great Grad!:thumb

Nice clean installation!

18. harderkev

harderkev Slab Sucks!

Oddometer:
    You can save $20 on the exact same item if you shop VVME's Ebay store (Ebay seller: flashplus) $36 + $35 shipping.

I just installed my kit today and it went very smoothly! No lamp fault. I attached the ballasts to the underside of the oil cooler by bending the long tab on the included mount bracket. I zip-tied that end to the front subframe behind the side of the beak and ran another zip-tie through the bottom row of cooling fins.

Kev.
  19. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Hey Kev,

Can you post some pictures?

20. NWBoarder

NWBoarder Whitmeister

Oddometer:
    Hmm, very tempting, guess I don't have an excuse now. Thanks for the tip!

Do you think they are blowing out old stock?

Guess it doesn't matter at that price.

If I'm not happy with them I'll just out them into my FF50's I have on order. And upgrade to 50W HID unit for the low beam.