Rz350

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by rd400racer, May 21, 2013.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess this is my unofficial intro to this forum. I've had an RT and RS 1100 recently and just traded my 94 RS1100 in on a Miata. Yeah, possibly a bonehead move but I really want an 1150GS and with a selection of bikes available to me I thought it was only fair to get something for the family to have fun with (Miata). So I'm stuck with a Duc Monster and my trusty RZ350 racebike.

This pic was taken at Little Tally back in February. This was the WERA V5 race....had a 14 year old hot on my tail but I held him off for 3rd place. Good kid; I'll probably be watching him on TV in a few years!

[​IMG]
  2. concours

concours WFO for 50 years

Oddometer:
    Welcome! I've had wood for an RZ for quite a while... any sage advice that's RZ specific? (I'm a mechanic, tons of two stroke experience) What to check for? What to avoid?
  3. dpforth

dpforth no inline fours

Oddometer:
    Make sure you can hear the powervalves cycle when you turn on the ignition. Saves having to shop for a YPVS controller.
    concours likes this.
  4. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've raced RD400's and RZ350's for years. There are still plenty of parts available and about 4 decent Forums to go to for advice. As far as picking up an RZ...unfortunetly it looks like the boat sailed on cheap RZ's about 10 years ago. I saw an RZ500 for sale the other day with 35K miles and been sitting for 10 years and the auction is up to $5500. Just stupid money considering the work needed to get it road worthy again.

The best deals are found if you know a local person that has one and doesn't really feel like messing with it. I know a guy that picked one up last month for $500 but it was in 300 pieces. The plus is that they are easy to work on and like I said, parts are easy to get.

My race bike is currently in 300 pieces.....I'm putting a 2004 R6 front end on it and an FZ600 swingarm (a common swap) so I can mount modern rubber. Then it's time for engine work! Looking at a 421cc kit.

If you look hard there are still a few deals to be had on RD350's and 400's. Or go the smaller route to start.....plenty of 125's, 200's and 250's out there. I actually have 3 RD125's, also in 100's of pieces.

I guess I didn't really answer your question. The main thing I look for is condition of the cylinder and play of the connecting rods. It is so easy to remove the head and do a visual inspection. If the seller refuses, that is a red flag. Everything else about them is so simple that I don't worry. A monkey with a wrench can fix them. Now tuning them properly....that is a black art!

It's an addiction......you can't have just one 2 stroke!

My RD400....took it down to the frame and rebuilt from scratch..

[​IMG]

And I like a 4 stroke every now and then too! My FZR400 that I recently got rid of...

[​IMG]
    cveddy likes this.
  5. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    This might be the motivation to get mine running. It's been a long long time since I worked on a two stroke - perhaps as long ago as the mid 70s fixing the middle cylinder on my Kawasaki 500 triple.

Sure is a pretty FZR!
  6. concours

Oddometer:
    I'm in...
  7. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Don't have any recent photos. It's wearing a set of R1 Monbloc calipers now. I haven't ridden it in 4 years now. Took that long to rebuild the engine/trans while broke.
    drbuzzard likes this.
  8. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    I just picked up 2 piles of parts that comprise a decent portion of a 1971 Mach III and a 1972 Mach III. If I had tons of money I would try to put one together but they are really far gone.

Obnoxiously fun bikes to ride back in the day,Also the Most ill handling bike that Ive ridden to date.
  9. caponerd

caponerd Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I've got an RD400 out in the garage that was abandoned on an empty lot near my house.
    Sat there for several weeks, so I asked around and nobody knew who owned it. The plate was missing, so I recorded the VIN # and called the local police, who told me it wasn't listed as stolen. I took it home.
    The bike had been parked in an alley behind a rental house a few blocks away from where it was abondoned for 3 or 4 years. I think the owner of the bike moved out nd left it, so the rental owner just moved it to the empty lot to get rid of it.
    The motor is free, and feels like it has compression.
    Someday I might get it running and turn it into a cheap track bike.
  10. JonW

JonW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing at all wrong with RD/RZs, I love em and have a few... Check out the link in my signoff for the full info, but grab a coffee or beer before you do, it may take some time if you read it all LOL!
  11. concours

Oddometer:
    As I found it... dusty, left in a corner of the basement for 20 years
    [​IMG]

Rearsets will be off and for sale soon...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Edmond Dantès

Edmond Dantès The Kanto Pain

Oddometer:
    Fantastic website. Do you have any video footage of the MB-5 and MT-5 running?
  13. concours

Oddometer:
    She's inching along, clip-ons, rearsets, steering stabilizer and fork brace all removed (DPO had a track day) and tubular handlebars re-installed, etc. Brakes are all dismantled, new rubbers on hand. Cyls are back from Millennium Technologies...:0-0
  14. DocRogers

DocRogers Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had one of those when I was in college, a looong time ago. Wicked fun bike and surprisingly comfortable. It's now on my "never should have sold it" list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. concours

Oddometer:
    The "surprisingly comfortable" thing... how tall are ya? inseam? shirt sleeve? Just curious, I haven't ridden this thing, or even sat on it. HOPING it is agreeable for a few hours anyway :clap
  16. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm 54,6'1",pushing 300 with a 31" inseam. The biggest issue will be the narrow seat with ancient foam. I had Sargent rebuild my RZ seat with new foam and cover. Fox shock (NLA),springs and some screwing with the damper rod made a big difference.

The bike has 40K miles on it (not original engine) and was my only transport for awhile. It's my second RZ. I rode the first one to Dallas from Maryland and back. A lot of it is what you can take. It is a big bike for a 350.
  17. DocRogers

DocRogers Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    6' even; 32" inseam, about 160 when I had the bike (25 years ago!), and I was 20something. But I did a lot of long rides on that bike (don't forget to carry extra oil), and yes, it was comfortable. But it's not a touring bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  18. concours

Oddometer:

Cool. Is that area under the seat where the tool kit goes big enough for a plastic quart of oil?
  19. asphaltsurfer1

asphaltsurfer1 CatManDew

Oddometer:
    Neat bikes. 57 and a big guy too but that little bike is so fun. In the world of 600lb 120hp electronic assist bikes it's nice to get back to the basics sometimes. I wouldn't want to tour on my 85 red/whit/blue KR replica but comfortable enough around town and all the power you need.

As far as under seat storage for oil I don't think you be able to get a can of Yamalube S2 under there.
    concours likes this.
  20. concours

Oddometer:
    R/W/B KR? I thought they were all Yellow?
    edit, oh, replica...