The XL600 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Gregster, Jul 6, 2007.

1. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    I didnt say YOU were a dumbass specifically , you just stepped up.:rofl
  2. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    You said "If you never heard of it before other than some dumbasses sugestion , then dont buy it"

I was the only 'dumbass' with a suggestion. :D How specific do you need to be? Get back to fixing your damned air conditioners. (I'm just mad cuz I don't have one:norton)
  3. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:

Those chain tools are a lil pricey themselves, just a heads up.
  4. Craignastic

Craignastic n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello all. I have been following the thread for awhile and figured I might as well say hi. I scooped up this 85 XL600R a few months ago, tore it part way down, put it back together, and rode it. What a ridiculously fun motorcycle :clap. Now I think I'm hearing the timing chain noise, so that is the next thing to address. Ah well, wrenching on the beastie is kind of fun. Anyway, here is my bike.
    [​IMG]

Uh...no photo, it would seem. little help?
  5. lookfar

lookfar from the land of OZ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Help is at hand...Here you go.

[​IMG]
  6. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    my head lights went out as soon as I got off the marine base after work :puke1

The light started to dim as revs increased and then it just cut out. I tried to switch to the hi-beams but nothing except the blue light came one.

wtf guys? I had a head light problem before, I cleaned all the contacts and changed all the connectors. It worked after I did that for like a week and then this happens :mad?
  7. lookfar

Oddometer:
    Check your stator output for the lighting circuit, then voltage rectifier and regulator...
    I'm thinking one of these may have died.......:cry:eek1

8. Edouard_Bracame

Edouard_Bracame Adventurer

Oddometer:
    To come back on the Cam chain subject, I always use to buy the cam chain at Honda, in europe the price is around 75 euros, but I've ordered a Wiseco Cam chain for the first time, any feedback on these?
    Are they reliable as the genuine?

Thanks
  9. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    How do I test? volt meter?

Good god I hope it'snot my stator, too much $$$ right now :cry
  10. lookfar

Oddometer:
    Yep, voltmeter, should be AC volts before the rectifier, DC after.
  11. mikem9

mikem9 Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Looking for advice on an 1984 XR600 that is for sale in my area - North Metro Atlanta. 14,000+ miles. Starts up easy and the engine feels very strong and tight. Idles perfectly also. Looks pretty much stock. Stock exhaust etc. Drips a drop or so of oil each night - not sure from where - maybe countershaft seal? Talking to 2nd owner. He bought it with 10,000 miles and put 4,000 on it himself. He's not sure if the engine has ever been rebuilt.

Without going back and rereading this entire thread, would you mind telling me common issues with a bike like this. Do you have concerns about the mileage? He paid $1400 for it and would take somewhere in that ballpark - maybe less I think?

Thanks for any advice.

Looks kind of like this one. Not actual bike:

[​IMG]
  12. lookfar

Oddometer:
    Not really much goes wrong with these bikes. The stator would be the main issue (mainly age related), replace with a ricky stator when necessary.
    The other thing to watch out for is the carbys. Make sure that they are clean, and possibly drain the fuel if it is not going to be used for a long time.
    14000 miles isn't much, there are a lot of bikes on here with at least double that, and still going strong. Change the oil regularly as these bikes do not have an oil cooler apart from the frame.

buy it and enjoy...:D
  13. Zombie_Stomp

Zombie_Stomp Aspiring human

Oddometer:
    Very good advice on the other reply. I would just like to add that, yes, the shaft seals may become leaky, and so you might want to get all the shaft seals and replace. All except the decompressor shaft on the head cover can be done without taking any engine cases off. You just have to gently pry the seals out being careful not to scratch the shafts themselves. The shifter shaft leaks sometimes too. Then there is the kickstarter shaft. If you need to replace a leaking decompressor shaft, it requires removing the engine because the XL600 can't have the head cover removed while the engine is still in the frame, unfortunately. If only they had made that a splined shaft with an attaching lever, then we could be leak free very easily. +1 on the ricky stator. Great product, great warranty.
  14. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    gonna test the electricial components tomorrow. if the stator is bad I will have to sell the bike since i cannot afford a new one. :cry

anybody want a XL600 with a fresh engine??
  15. Zombie_Stomp

Zombie_Stomp Aspiring human

Oddometer:
    What the hell are you talking about? A brand new, lifetime warranty Ricky Stator costs like $140!! Don't tell me you only know about OEM retail-prices stators!!
  16. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not that

I got a baby coming in a couple weeks and I cannot shell out $140 for the foreseeable future, So I might just sell this beast and buy a gay 'lil 250 :ear But I will be disappointed when I roll the throttle back from now on. And I still got two years atleast before the bike is paid off and I don't wanna make payments on something I can't ride or afford to fix :puke1

I still haven't looked it yet though. The lights failed after work last night around midnight, and I had to be at work again at noon today. Gonna look at it in the morning. I'm hoping I just lost ground. Hope the for the best but expect the worst, then you'll never be surprised :D I'm sure its a simple problem.

Got lucky and found a stator my best friends '82 Kawasaki KZ750 for $30, Hopefully I can get lucky like that if its bad.

I did see the strangest thing today, It was a CBR900RR with these MASSIVE engine guards on them. Looks like they would scrape pretty easily. It was like a fucking cage around the engine and it stuck out like 10 inches from the side. Gawd I need a cheap camera to keep in my backpack
  17. RFVC600R

RFVC600R Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fuck it I'm going just fix what is wrong with it. it's too much fun :D

I want a house with a garage dammit. this headlight problem bugs me as I commute at night and sometimes I offroad my way home. I need to make the headlight as reliable as the rest of the bike and I can't do anything til the morning.
  18. lookfar

Oddometer:
    No point rushing into things, thinking the worst....check it out thoroughly before taking the leap.

If you ask nicely, somebody on here probably has any spare parts that you may need, all you have to do is ask.

I, for one, have a secondhand stator that I would be willing to part with for postage, but postage could be interesting from Australia :deal

HTH
  19. m2h

m2h "Old guys rule"

Oddometer:
    Hi Stretchah, Well i finally got back to my bike had very similar symptoms to yours. Pulled the motor out and took the head off with great trepidation! Turned it over and cleaned it up NO BROKEN SEATS:clapYah Heavy carbon on the inlets but exhausts looked a good colour. So WTF!! Pulled the ex. valves and the seats were ok but the vlv faces had small erosion marks all round. One inlet had similar marks but very minor and the back of the valve had some build up of greycrust. The other inlet was not too bad you coulse were it had actully been seating. My conclusion is that the valve clearances have been too tight on these valves and have been getting blow by on the firing stroke. I am hoping a valve grind will fix the problem. Anyone else have a theory? Need to measure the bore and piston next. There is some scoring on the forward wall that you can feel but the rest still shows hone marks. will need to borrow some micrometers etc. hopefully maybe another hone and rings:Dwill fix it all!!
    Just as an interest thing my Honda dealer quoted me as follows for parts ex Japan:
    Head gasket $NZ 64.00 100mm Head Stud bolt $14.60 Piston $178.54 Rings $133.89 Wrist pin $47.75
    How does that compare to the States?
    NZ exchange rate is around $0.80 US cents for our dollar at the moment.
    Hope you got your bike sorted out and your back on the road again!!
    M2h
  20. brucifer

brucifer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Joel, you forgot one--the clutch arm shaft. :D Have to pull the cover to do that one.