KLX300 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by ironbrewer, Jun 28, 2008.

1. ironbrewer

ironbrewer Hopefully Riding

Oddometer:
    Was in Colorado now in The Northwet, Washington
    I bought a KLX300r a month ago and the poor little beast doesn't have a thread of its own so I figured I'ld start one.

Here is mine:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is its big brother in my garage:

[​IMG]

When I got mine it had about 500 miles on it and was completely stock. I have started moding it.

Bash plate
    lever guards
    Crankcase breather
    Dynojet stage 2 kit
    ACR mod
    Renthal bars
    took top off airbox
    Exhaust tip removed
    Tail bag
    fender bag
    T-mod for carb vents
    Acerbis headlight

In the future I'ld like to add

Bigger stator
    Heated grips
    Acerbis tank
    Fourstroke works header

I know there has to be other KLX300 riders on the board.

Happy Riding:ricky
  2. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Funny you should start this thread today.

I just got back from the first shake down run on mine.

Although mines not a true 300, it's an 04 250 with a 97 300 motor in it...

But here is a pic of the donor bike...

[​IMG]
    And in action.
    [​IMG]

(Before anyone asks I put the 300 in because I blew the 250 up, and yes I had a 300 kit in it anyway...)
  3. ironbrewer

Oddometer:
    Excellent any other modifications??
  4. djchan

djchan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a KLX300 with the 331 BBK (compliments of PO) from Jerry at FSW. Came with Renthal bars. I've added '95 KX250 forks and raising links for the rear to maintain geometry. I also procured an FCR35 - ebay seller didn't know what he was selling (thought it was a 39) which I'm presently tidying up. I need to freshen it up with rings and valve guide seals cause it smokes for about a minute after startup. Also added aftermarket footpegs, fender bag, and a new cap for the stock exhaust. Getting ready to add a dualsport kit and change the granny gear 13T IIRC front sprocket for something more roadable. Starts 1st or second kick and easy-peezy to ride anywhere. I'm paring down the stable but the KLX stays. That's right - my LC4e goes before the KLX. Gotta love the simplicity.

Dean
  5. ironbrewer

Oddometer:
    What other mods did you have to do to add the 95 kx forks? Did the stock triples and wheel work??
  6. djchan

djchan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ironbrewer - If you use 94 or 95 KX125/250 forks you can use the stock KLX triples, wheel, calipers, rotor, etc but need a spacer to line it all up. A gentleman on thumpertalk used to make the spacers. I had to change the front brakeline cause the KLX has a lug built into the fork lower end for the brakeline. Used a piece of hardware to attach it to the upper end of the KX fork guard like most modern dirtbikes. The KX forks are completely adjustable (compression and rebound) with a longer travel. They are about 1.5 inches longer though - so I raised them up in the triple - 3/4" - and used the raising links to raise the rear. It's a taller bike now but has a leaner, rangy look to it. Much safer on the side-stand as well. No longer wants to dig in and fall over since it's more upright.
    ro919 likes this.
  7. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Here's my 2003..Bought it new in 02' and it's still kickin. Not much done to it power wise; Free mods, a re-jet and a Twin air filter .Other parts are Moose hand guards,ProTaper CR high bars, Baja Designs DS kit,Trail tech vapor,UFO kx250 fork guards, Kenda 760s f & r . Soon it's getting a new exhaust ,wide foot peds and a larger tank:ricky

[​IMG]
  8. djchan

djchan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wishin4woods - I see your KLX is streeterized. What's your gearing and how is it onroad?
  9. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    1998 KLX300R Before on 5-28-08
    [​IMG]
    AFTER on 6-28-08 it became a 2007 KLX300RS
    [​IMG]
    4.6 racetech springs, Ohlins rear, New bottom end with electric start, taller/straighter bars, 240 watt stator, REAL Headlight, MX rear fender with LED Stop/Tail light, Hydraulic Clutch, New Frame and Suspension linkage, New swing arm, New Clark Gastank on order, New Seat, New wheels, New Chain,new lugage rack with chain saw plate.
    TO do:
    Install old 300 Kickstart gears and lever
    Install Clark Tank
    Install power port for GPS
    [​IMG]
    Go work on new trails,,,,,,,,,,,, Follow Me!
  10. ironbrewer

Oddometer:
    rwamf,

Why do you like the clarke tank over the Acerbis. I would think the radiator protection afforded by the Acerbis would make it the choice tank.

Jim
  11. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    My 300 gets 50 mpg and the stock 300 tank was 2.6 and that was good for 125 miles, and thats riding hard, But the new 250 has a cooling fan and the 300 tank won't work, the Clark is 2.7 so I will be at where I was, the Acerbis is 3.7? this is not an adventure bike, it is a fun dualsport, and 100 miles between gas has been fine so far, I thought about the 3.7 but I have other bikes for the longer rides.
    I want to keep this a small bike for gnarley single track, that is where I will ride it so I don't need the extra bulk.
  12. BDKW1

BDKW1 KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer:
    I beg to differ, Mine has been all the way down Baja a couple of times.

Mine and My chica shortly before removing another turn signal. :rofl

[​IMG]
  13. djchan

djchan Long timer

Oddometer:
    rwamf - you're the guy to answer this for me. I'd love to add a light rack on the back of my KLX300. I'm wondering if the frames are the same between the 330 and 250s - the rear half that is. Would the KLX250 rack work for me?

Thanks
    Dean
  14. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    I'm running 15/48. Seems to do well if you keep the freeway stints short...Top speed is around 82-85 so cruising at 65 seems to be fine.It does like to vibrate with the Kendas on it.
  15. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    Sorry to say "Simple answer NO", the 250 frame has special brackets welded to the frame, yes it could be done but it would not be cheap.,
  16. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    That's Great, but it is "Not an Adventure bike" for me, that is why I have a GS ADV, I am keeping my 300 for the tight, tuff , nasty single track. so keeping the mass down is important.
    The bike is the most reliable bike I have ever owned and it is more than capable of going or doing what ever you want, but when it comes to long trips I like 85hp and 80mph on the dirt.
  17. ironbrewer

Oddometer:
    But you don't have to fill up the gas tank, and the wings on the Acerbis tank are light protection for the radiators.
  18. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    True, Ya never know I might get one, Gas is like money, you always feel better when you have more than you need.
  19. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    If your not going to use the extra fuel the Acerbis has to offer can I have it?... I mean I woulden't bother.

It does make it noticeably wider between your legs.

I only have one because I need all the fuel I can get with the places I ride.
  20. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    I'm curious..What gearing is everyone running and what is your top speed with that gearing?