Yamaha TDM Riders

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BuellDualSport, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Harvey Krumpet

Harvey Krumpet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dual porpoise tires on wet seal... Sounds like a Sun head line.

I have a shinko 705 on the rear and it does not tolerate a heavy throttle hand on wet roads. Nothing drastic but it does move compared to a sport touring tire. The Pirell A/T on the front sticks like glue, high silica content I believe.
  2. OhCrap

OhCrap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I have my eyes on the Pirelli's as well. I found a nice Scorpion trial for the back, but I like the MT90 Scorpion trials as well. I can't find a front one with the proper speed-rating though. The Sirac still seems the best option, but I'd rather find something that's a bit more road orientated & preferably intended as a front tire.

I guess all of you guys were wrestling with this dilemma at some point :(

What size & type Pirelli do you have?
  3. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    G'Day Oh Crap

I regularly run well into the reserve . Its no big deal . Its worth 65K's if your pushing it and many times its gone 99+K's I fuel conserve mode. Yes At 130 on the clock between 444KLM fuel blocks I get there. The Aux tank is so I desiced when I need a break and not push on for fear of missing a servo and risk the big picture. Call it buying rest time. IBA want a stop at 600K's documented and out here thats fine too but If you need to be gone from a place in the wee small hours then having this fuel on board is great.

Now for the down side. It takes up space and is in the road for things like my swag. I had to come up with a compact sleeping kit which is fine for the timed run but after that's over its a compromise sleeping kit at best. I now have plans for a tank that's also a rack. To be honest I only need 12 or 13 ltrs for a timed run. I know this because Ive found this current tank is ...over the top" a lower profile tank will give back stowage space and drop weight and increase livability.

I have done 99,000 K's on Avon Distanziers. Ive crossed the Simpson at one end of the spectrum and screwed it into the Oxley. Ext reams of scale. I ride within myself and Ive tested that boundary too. I have no issues with these tyres. My everyday is over shale roads and on the tar its not full of twisties so squaring off is always a problem. BUT I ride to those conditions. The TDM is not a sports bike. Its a go places funball....and its just the bike I like.

99,000K's back I di'nt own a bike. Id never beeen on the tar with a bike and never traveled on a bike. These mods to a very capble steed have just opened the door a bit wider.

When the others fall I just wobble through and see out the day.

I also ment to say thats the first colour I like past white and one cherry red unit that looks good on dual sport tyres Kyotoviking. Thats got my blood up mate.
    What colour is the current TDM?
  4. OldLevi

OldLevi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The last of our tour of the Carpathians. The old TDM brought me back home again safely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The brothers.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And so on ...
  5. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    T'is a one of these on the front, 110. 80/18, standard size.

I'm pretty impressed with it wet, dry & on gravel. You can feel tread creep at times which I initially found un-nerving but I hardly notice now. I'm right off the edge of the tire & it has not even hinted at letting go.
  6. OldLevi

OldLevi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And I fitted some Heidenau K60, scout rear and normal front. Looking forward to test it out on a two week run up in north Japan from next Monday. [​IMG][/QUOTE]

[​IMG]
    Hi, I fitted also K60 on front. I had tested it om my last adventure in Carpathians in Romania. K60 on front is good, but a little loud.

Before, I had Dunlop TrailMax, and traveled 11,900 Km.

[​IMG]
  7. Dessert Storm

Dessert Storm Dances With Drunks

Oddometer:
    Hi Old Levi

Great photos! What rack did you use to mount your panniers and topbox - that is EXACTLY what I have been looking out for!
  8. OldLevi

OldLevi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The rack was made by me.
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    You can see screenshots of it
    on the page: http://myriders.atw.hu/

The boxes are from Hungarian company: http://www.metalconstruct.hu/
  9. masterbrewer

masterbrewer TDMster

Oddometer:
  10. RichBeBe

RichBeBe All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer:
  11. v2lek

v2lek n00b

Oddometer:
    So, add me tot he list of TDM owners, just got a '03 silver tdm.
    Unfortunately, where I live, the autumn is closing in pretty fast, so no long rides this year, only shorter joyrides.
    Already looking for the next season, will see where the road takes me then... :)
  12. nav18tor

nav18tor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now has Fuel (a UK Exhaust maker) cans which give a "proper twin sound", Givi panniers to match the top box, Garmin Zumo 550 hard wired, Optimate connection under the seat, air box mod re-established as supplying dealer had disabled,

Yet to fit
    1. Tutoro chain oiler
    2. Crash posts
    3. K&N air filter
    4. Pro-Grip rally grips

Loving it so far, a little short of power but at 58 (UK) MPG driven fast, I am not going to complain

13. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    Ah, but, you can use all of it. They have a very high average speed.....:D
  14. nav18tor

nav18tor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fuel cans, now supplemented by a K&N Filter, seems to help smooth things out

[​IMG]
  15. Harvey Krumpet

Oddometer:
    My 8 fiddly is a very happy bunny with aftermarket pipes. Kerkers, loud but good, pulls from nothing, no flat spot & I never really use the top end so no loss that I'm aware of.
  16. OldLevi

OldLevi Adventurer

Oddometer:
  17. KaiserQuasar

KaiserQuasar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a 1992 TDM. I've always loved the look of these bikes and the jack-of-all-trades, master of none kind of design. I'm fairly new to motorcycles and this would be my first relatively powerful road bike. My current XT600 could probably use a rebuild and I'm looking for something to use as a reliable commuter in the city and a weekend warrior capable of some logging roads when the weather permits. The bike is in pristine condition, has 24k on the odometer, has good tires, and the carbs/emulsion tubes were redone this summer. I'm thinking I won't get it for less than 3,400 which seems pretty steep but opportunities on these are few and far between so I might bite the bullet anyway. Anybody have any thoughts to sway me?

Thanks!
  18. Diravi

Diravi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello TDM fellows! I'm considering getting a TDM850, had a DL650 for 60k kms, now riding on dirt on a Honda XR400. I almost got a '01 TDM850 with 13k kms, looked like it was taken out of the dealer yesterday, but someone was quicker. Then after browsing through ads, I realized I love the mk1 looks, with the twin round headlights. So now I'm looking at a '95, 30k kms, in great shape, looks like this:

[​IMG]

Can someone please make a comparison between the mk1 and mk2 models? I know the technical and spec changes, please let me know how they feel compared to each other. Like engine smoothness, throttle response, sound, comfort, handling/cornering, etc.

Many thanks in advance, looking forward to join the club soon :)
  19. omeoxlv

omeoxlv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can someone please make a comparison between the mk1 and mk2 models? I know the technical and spec changes, please let me know how they feel compared to each other. Like engine smoothness, throttle response, sound, comfort, handling/cornering, etc.

Many thanks in advance, looking forward to join the club soon :)[/QUOTE]

The sensible thing would be to join carpe-tdm.net and ask there. You will be very impressed with the response. They dont have anything else to do in the uk, the weather is always too shit for riding.
    Cheers Graeme
  20. Diravi

Diravi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Graeme, good advice, already got a few good replies there.