the DR200 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by klxrdr, May 13, 2007.

1. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ebay is the most likely place to find one.Then the stealership.
  2. Goon310

Goon310 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got my carb re-jetted and FMF pipe on.
    I can now start the bike without using prime, or choke.
    Hold throttle open a tiny bit and hit start, BAM!
    Fires right up.

Renthal CR high bend bars fit great, too!

Can't ride yet because I ordered the wrong flippin' size inner tube.
    But the new one should be here pretty soon.

Kientech rules.
  3. Solas5

Solas5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What size of jets did you go with?
  4. Goon310

Goon310 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I uh...
    Forgot! LOL
    I just bought the kit from Kientech, it's a little leaner pilot, adjustable needle, and an adjustable fuel screw. I haven't played with the needle position but I did fiddle with the fuel screw a tiny bit and it runs great.

It's been sitting in the shed all night and I'm going to see if it will start today after work without using the choke or prime like it did yesterday.
    I imagine it will.
  5. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    I have a DR200 and an F650GS an '07 and I think it's a perfect combination. Lucky for me I don't have to get permission from a wife to buy a bike. :lol3
  6. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the ambient temperature is fairly warm then that's fine but if it's cooler out, say below 60-70F or so, you're probably a bit rich on the pilot. The choke is on there to fatten up the mixture on cold starts. If you jet to bypass this feature then you're running rich the rest of the time that the bike isn't cold.
  7. Goon310

Goon310 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't ridden the bike yet to play with it any.
    I started it yesterday after work and let it idle for a bit before I changed the oil.
    It started right up with no issues. It was about 65F in my area yesterday?

My new rear tube comes Wednesday so I'll get that one and go for a test ride. It'll probably pop on decel, and I'll take care of it.

I was mainly just noting the difference in how it used to be, had to sit with the choke on, or even ride a bit with the choke to get it to warm up.
    I bought the jet kit after it took me half an hour to feel the bike was warmed up, only to have it stall if I didn't rev the piss out of it all the time.

I've also removed the airbox lid along with the fm exhaust.
  8. kafkamars

kafkamars Adventurer

Oddometer:
    soooo,:huh do the rear wheel bearings face open side in or out? thanks.
  9. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Open side always faces in to limit dirt intrusion.
  10. bross

bross Where we riding to?

Oddometer:
    Or you can just buy dual sealed bearings.
  11. bradluke0

bradluke0 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi all ! I just went out and bought a 2005 DR200 , gonna use it as an extra bike for guests and to play around here on the property . The previous owner could not find the owners manual and I cannot find one anywhere online . Anyone know where I can get one ? Also , the petcock has reserve , on and prime . What is prime used for , if I run out of gas ? Also , is the garage going to flood with gas if the float sticks in the carb? thx guys looking forward to seeing what this bike can do !
  12. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    Reserve and On are controlled by vacuum. They're only really on when the engine is running. Prime lets fuel run into the float bowl regardless of whether the engine is running.
  13. bradluke0

bradluke0 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi all ! Thx for the info , that makes sense now that i think about it . I think all of my street bikes had vacuum operated petcocks , just no prime setting . Whats kinda funny is my son and I each have a ktm 450 in the garage but I'm really stoked about this bike . By reading a lot of the posts on here I see alot of other people love their DR too ! thx again for the info
  14. Goon310

Goon310 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got my Kenda K270 on.
    I dig it.

Went for a short putt-putt.
    Bike is LOUD but sounds good.
    Hesitation between 2nd and 3rd, full throttle and slow acceleration.
    Turns out my flippin' choke was out half way when I first started - but did not ride - the bike after jet kit install. :1drink
    So, this weekend will get the carb set up proper.
  15. Solas5

Solas5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alright. I need a little help problem solving. My bikes symptoms are as follows: when I start it I always have to use choke, once I let warm up for a few min I switch choke off and it runs fine, once I put in 1st it will sometimes die. Once I get going then down shift for a stop it will nearly always die unless I keep on the throttle while stopped. Sometimes as I slow down, it will give a slight backfire with the occasional heavy one which I know is a sign of running lean. My guess is that the jets are pretty restricted and need cleaned/replaced. What other things need I consider in going about fixing the problem and can you provide links to purchase new jets if necessary? Thanks

Ryan
  16. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:

I would give the carb a really thorough cleaning for starters. It's sometimes hard to clear a clogged jet.

You can order new jets from Kientech, link in here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4601335&postcount=2

I recently cleaned a carb by soaking it in a 50/50 mixture of Pine Sol and water for about four hours. It worked amazingly well. Then I just rinsed it with water really thoroughly and blew it out with compressed air. Pine Sol doesn't attack plastic or rubber components, so you don't have to disassemble all the way. I just took the float bowl and diaphragm cap off and took the slider out. (don't lose small washers, clips, or springs when disassembling)
  17. Wallrat

Wallrat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tighten up your clutch cable a tad and you might wanna bump your idle speed up a bit if that doesn't help.
  18. Solas5

Solas5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do you have to take the airbox out to get the carb out or is there an easier way?
  19. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, you can just loosen the clamps completely and work the carburetor out. Sometimes it's hard to put back in, but if you lubricate the rubber with something and work the carb forward and backward, you can slip it back in.
  20. Solas5

Solas5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Okay. Got it out and was taking it apart to clean and this fell out
    [​IMG]
    And I have no idea where it came from. Any help?