1971 Kawasaki F8 - 2 smoke street tracker build

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by MiteyF, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Marco Moto

Marco Moto Voyager

Oddometer:
    Neat!
  2. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    I THINK those were the deaded Hata forks. Which Dirt bike magazine called the worst fork design in history, so many options for adjustment none of which worked.....
  3. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I never heard anything bad about them, but we'll see I guess!
  4. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got all of my parts back from the powdercoater, and I must say, they're lovely! The exhaust and chain guard were done in a gray very close to the tank and tail, and the rest (frame, swinger, wheels etc etc) was done in silver (NO black, remember?). Painted the exhaust guard in green, as well as the centers of the wheel hubs. I'm not sure if I like the green on the wheels, but I can always redo it I suppose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Split the cases on the engine, and upon very close inspection, found cracks around the kick starter shaft... So I dropped it off at the local welder, we'll see what he can do. Luckily there are no real clearance problems, so he should be able to lay a nice thick bead and have it end up nice and tough. Forgot to take pictures with the shaft out, but there were numerous cracks on both sides...

[​IMG]

The rest of the engine/tranny looks good though

[​IMG]

Labeled bins sure help to keep things in order

[​IMG]

Seeing as the wiring was somewhat hacked (key broke off in the ignition, and it looks like someone tried to splice in wires to make it run...) and I'm not using any of the stock switches, I've got some wiring fun ahead of me...
  5. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    They are fine on the street, but Dirt Bike magazine put it this way. The Hatta Forks had a million options for tuning and none of them worked.
  6. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Luckily this bike will never see dirt!
  7. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    this is how i always do my hubs on a custom[​IMG]
  8. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I tried to polish the insides, but for some reason it was NOT happening... just didn't take. It came out splotchy, I just couldn't get it even... got any tips?

I got my spokes today too, and started assembling wheels, so if I don't find a "quick" way to polish the insides, they're going to be green, until I get sick of it and decide to do it over :D
  9. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    i drop mine at the polisher and for 40 bucks they come back polished. he uses a wheel with rouge, takes him about 20 minutes a hub, heres the whole wheel.[​IMG]

and not to threadjack, but in case you are wondering. yes it is a moped, im fucked up like that
    [​IMG]

i love building and riding mopeds, this one, when finished, did a solid 70mph on gps, 75cc, port reed, 21mm dellorto phbg, and a dutch expansion chamber. (yes i know about the fat girl and moped joke:deal)
  10. FoothillRyder

FoothillRyder Tiger Cub

Oddometer:
    That is one sick moped! WOW!
  11. MSrider

MSrider Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer:
    :freaky
  12. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've ridden (and thoroughly enjoyed) my fair share of small displacement motorcycles, but just can't get used to not having my feet in the same position on both sides, hence my aversion to mopeds... looks nice though!
  13. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    i have knee problems, thank you weslake speedway bike, so riding a moped allows me to move my feet and not let my knees bind up in one location too long.
  14. Zammy

Zammy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :eek1That is WICKED COOL !!!:clap
  15. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got my case half back from the welder, and started putting the engine together. I had to take off some of the bead so the kick starter pawl can move, but it's nice and free now. I can't figure out how the gear shift spring goes back though :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got my wheels laced and trued (first time truing wheels) and new brake pads installed in the front, so that end is all ready to get a tire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The back brake still needs polishing, but I wanted it out of the living room so I tossed it on the bike temporarily.

[​IMG]
  16. anonny

anonny What could go wrong?

Oddometer:
    Cool build(s) MiteyF, nice too see some of that small displacement stuff going back into service.

What does your local powder coater charge you for a frame these days if you don't mind me asking.
  17. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    For ALL my powdercoated bits, (wheels, frame, swinger, triple clamps, and about 12 other small pieces) I paid $280 for blasting and coating. He's got the best prices around, with the best turnaround. He does it out of his shop behind his house, and he does ALL my stuff!
  18. bpeckm

bpeckm Grin!

Oddometer:
    I'm wondering HOW I have missed this thread for this long...

gorgeous work, gorgeous bike, bikes, cars and all GOOD shtuff...... KUDOS!
  19. azcycle

azcycle Chihuahua Wrangler

Oddometer:
    :lurkAgreed. Fantastic work! Love the V-dub and do I see a '67/68 (can't see if it has side-marker lights) Mustang in there too?
  20. MiteyF

MiteyF Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! As far as cars go, between me, my girlfriend and 3 roommates, we have a 67 AND 68 (lucky guess :rofl) mustang, lowered 62 bug (mine) and my girlfriend's 66 baja, as well as about 4 other slightly more "boring" cars, and lets call it 15 motorcycles just to keep it easy, in various states of repair. Although a vast majority of the bikes are mine :D

I've got a few more updates to make later today, I've just been piecing it together slowly, waiting on the powdercoater, parts shipping and weather to cooperate... I'll snap some more photos in a bit though!