How do you check if the alternator is functioning properly.

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by EnderTheX, May 8, 2011.

1. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I have an interest in the outcome of this thread. :D
  2. Bicyclist

Bicyclist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    I just dropped off my bike at the dealer... waiting for the verdict. :up
  5. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Ender,

How did this story turn out? I am currently looking into stator options for my bike, the Electrosport unit is cheap but their reputations sucks balls.

Was yours replaced under warranty?

Cheers,
    Lukas
  6. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:

Hi Lukas! Funny you should ask, I was just about to report :D

Yesterday I finally heard back (after waiting a month with the bike at the dealer)... they are going to warranty the replacement and they have parts so it will be done Friday :clap:clap

They took a while to make the decision because of a long backlog of work and other extenuating circumstances at the dealership but I am still very happy with how it turned out. Hopefully I can inspect the parts when I go to pick up the bike (even though I won't be able to take them home since it is warranty).

I plan on riding my bike on a couple long day trips this weekend to make sure everything is in order! :evil

If it wasn't going to be warrantied I would have taken it home and replaced the stator myself... probably having it re-wound at a professional shop.
  7. =o&o>

=o&o> I like to ==o&o>

Oddometer:
    Thank you everyone for that diagnostic procedure and pictures... :becca

Shut off the bike to pick it back up 80 miles into the day, and 20+ miles from pavement :muutt. Got tow-started by an ATV, rode back up a nasty rocky and steep climb and to civilization :kurt. The bike did re-start after I had to stop for fuel about 140 miles later (25 miles from home). Ran about half of that without the headlight plugged in. Wouldn't even run the FI pump the next morning . Bike has 28.667 miles on it.

Pins 1-3 had 15v, pins 2-3 had 10.6v, pins 1-2 had 7 volts :kboom.

Dealer ordered a stator without calling me, so I think it will be covered under warranty :zilla.
    My warranty expires next Monday :yikes .

EDIT:
    Stator was toast - covered under warranty. No accessory lighting or other accessory electrical (yet). Only used the power outlet for a few hundred miles to power a GPS, and to charge a cel phone... I don't own any heated gear.
  8. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I'm kind of surprised how many stators people seem to need to be replacing. :norton
  9. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    You and me both.......:thumb:thumb

Erling
  10. zaner32

zaner32 In over my head

Oddometer:
    Mine just quit about a month ago (30,000Km). No parts at dealer so they found a used one in a blown up motor they had. New one is in, and will be getting it installed this week.
  11. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I wonder if it's because the BMW stator's output is not high enough for the load we're putting on them which is causing them to burn out? :dunno

Which leads back to what I've been wondering for a while, is there a way to increase the output of the stator? I know on my XR400R I just had it re-wound by Baja Designs, why can't we do something similar to the BMW stator?
  12. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Imho..... I don`t think so...... Since the stator/RR (regulator rectifier).... grounds what ever juice not needed by the " system"..... So in essence....The stator is always producing 100%. That said.....Practically ....many times things don`t work out as they are surposed... Ie. Generally speaking , not just on the gs.... The less of a tax on the system seems to make for better longevity. Ie... The guy with extra lights...body heaters etc... Toast his faster. Should`nt be...but I have seen this on other bikes. think as long as you are stock ...or less Like after your HID install.... You should be on..... Nothing scientific to back this.... But just my opinion. Speaking of HID..... Did you get your wedge`ed in there????:D

:thumb:thumb

Erling
  13. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna put the HID in next weekend.

So, does anyone know of a way to increase the stator output?? That's one advantage the Tiger has over the 800GS.
  14. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I can't say mine had any extra strain on it. Never had battery troubles (still on the original) and nothing extra wired in save a GPS. Made it just over the 50k kms mark. Pretty pathetic if you ask me. Add in the month it was in the shop waiting on parts, and the whole experience left me very non-plussed.
  15. GJGSRider

GJGSRider carver

Oddometer:
    My stator failed at 27000 miles. Three days before my warranty expired. I have heated grips and run an Oregon gps. I have no other electrical options. My original Excide BMW stock battery lasted three years, until my alternator died. Dealer repaired under warranty in 10 days. Will we will see more stator failures? Hmmm.
  16. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    As ebrabaek said, apparently the stator is always producing 100% of what it is capable of producing given the RPM ... the regulator simply dumps the power it does not need back to the frame of the bike ... apparently other bikes use this style of regulator.... seems a bit screwy to me ....

Having more accessories drawing current would perhaps reduce the load on the regulator but the stator is working its ass off no matter what and getting quite hot doing so .... :cry
  17. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    Dead stator at 18,000 or so for me. :cry
  18. Bayner

Bayner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had my suspicions.... at least you know now.
  19. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Definitely a weak point on these bikes. Life expectancy seems to be around 50,000 miles or even significantly less in quite a few cases. Try to get them to take a few pictures to see if it's just a nicked wire or if the whole thing is burned out and black like Finn's.

I think the possible solutions would be weaker magnets, higher quality wires and epoxy insulation, or a series regulator. The last one would be the nicest as you wouldn't reduce the electrical power output.
  20. itsatdm

itsatdm Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are other types of regulators out there that "should" work, that use relays instead of shunting excess amps to the frame. An on demand type that may prolong stator life. Called Mosfet. Triumph apparently uses this type of regulator. Here is an aftermarket source. http://roadstercycle.com/Shindengen FH012AA Regulator upgrade kit.htm

You do not want one that outputs more than 14.5v. The above one is rated at 30amps.

Being an electrical idiot, can some one commit on what 30 amps is referring to? I am assuming the max rating of each of the stator output wires. I know some of you have measured stator output on the F800, what are the the readings.

Can't find a source for what effect on Canbus this may have, any thoughts?
    lexaria likes this.