Other SMIBs do the Rawhyde Clinic sponsored by Bob's BMW

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by EOD3MC, Jul 16, 2011.

1. EOD3MC

EOD3MC What will break next

Oddometer:
    Following behind a couple of the other SMIBs who attended the Rawhyde Offroad Riding Clinic sponsored by Morton's BMW of Fredericksburg, VA yesterday, a couple more of us went to the Rawhyde Clinic hosted by Bob's BMW of Jessup, MD today.

No matter how the day ended up turning out, the ride to Bob's this morning was fantastic

[​IMG]

I arrived at Bob's just after the 8am open the gates time to find most of the bunch was already there..

[​IMG]

There were moslty BMWs but we had two KTM 950 Adventures, and three of the most impressive off road motorcycles ever made...
    the undestroyable KLR (ok, almost undestroyable)
    (I'll just wait for you non-KLR riders to stop laughing ) :lol3
    (no, the Can-Am wasn't there for the clinic...)

The Rawhyde Crew (Sean and Lance), spent the first part of the clinic talking to each rider and offering suggestions on how to make their bikes more comfortable for off-road riding...They even had a BMW tech to help make those changes if the rider wanted to.

Here they were working with one of the KTMs

[​IMG]

After the tech talks and some instructional information about riding off road, we were to head to Wicomico Motorsports Park. There was a route provided, which was pretty much straight down 301...I figured I'd take the inverse of the earlier trip this morning. Told JAX my plan and soon I was to lead a group 5 others to Wicomico... "Was" being the key word.

When we rolled out I looked back to see five bikes pull out behind me and focused on the road ahead. When I looked back when we stopped for the first traffic light...I had 14 :huh

So I pulled into the first parking lot we could all fit into and made sure everyone knew what the actual plan was...Most followed because they just saw bikes leaving. After our quick check, I got 14 thumbs up and we were off.

I managed this Lance patented "Over the Shoulder" shot while we were following the back roads paralleling 301

[​IMG]

We weren't the last group to arrive but we certainly weren't the first. I believe all the other groups took 301, but from the feedback I head, No other group commented on enjoying the ride down....:D
  2. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    So what route did you take? Through Croom?
  3. EOD3MC

Oddometer:
    yep....
  4. joints4sale

joints4sale No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer:
    I spy a GoPro mount.:evil
  5. EOD3MC

Oddometer:
    After a quick pizza lunch provided by Bob's, we moved down to the Dirtwise training field...Some of us SMIBs have been to Wicomico Motorsports Park for off-road training before

As with yesterday's clinic, We too were divided into group "A" and group "1"

Here are the groups combined

[​IMG]

There were four basics that the clinic focused on Body Position, Throttle Control, Clutch Control, and Braking
    Personally I didn't get too much out of the clinic other than a chance to practice these things.

Jax took a few photos while our group was riding...

On the slow ride excercise, the key element was looking out and ahead..on our second pass, Sean would do his best to try and distract us to make sure we were looking out and past him...I did find it interesting as to how fast he moved out of the way if you rev'd the engine when he got close :lol3

[​IMG]

OMG WTF doing the counter weighting excercises

[​IMG]

Here I am setting up for the same turn

[​IMG]

Overall the clinic was enjoyable, met a lot of great people and re-enforced riding fundementals :clap
  6. EOD3MC

Oddometer:
    After the clinic finished, we were free to stay at Wicomico and ride the trails or tracks if we chose to (normally a $40 fee) :D

I have been meaning to take the KLR around the trails I've ridden before with the KLX 250, so agreed to go with three others on our attempt around the loop.

We had 1 KLR with cases and 1 without, a 650 Dakar and a 1200 GSA with cases (and street tires)...
    First, let me say they have changed a few sections of the trail....the spot where Dorito destroyed the airbox on her Yamaha is now blocked off and the trail now loops around to the top of that hill.
    The old hill climb was easier....:eek1 as for the rest of the trail...couldn't tell you
    This is when we figured this would be a good time for the 1200 to turn around. It had already gone down a couple times while going thru the mud.
    The Dakar and other KLR continued on while I played TTRU with the 1200...
    We had to back track about a half mile, the other 2 had about 2 miles to cover...They beat us back :eek1

[​IMG]

Tried to take some video with my expensive $20 video camera...still editing that mess...
    But here are a couple pictures from after we "escaped"

Two exhausted but happy riders
    Most of the mud on us was when we got "Juddy-flipped" by his bike while getting through one of the deeper holes

[​IMG]

This GSA was close to spotless when we started....notice the projector light pointing towards the camera

[​IMG]

About halfway through this mess, I put my kickstand down and put some weight on it to make sure it wouldn't sink when I walk away....Well it did, but with the berm and my cases the bike was still basically upright so I left it there to go help the others.
    When I went to get back on the bike, I found out the kickstand didn't sink into the sand in bent in half :eek1
    I straightened it back out but it wouldn't hold the weight of the bike anymore...

[​IMG]

Guess what I'm working on tomorrow :rofl
  7. BluWolf

BluWolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was good putting some faces to names. Wish I had enough fuel to ride the loop. Was toast by the time I got back to Leesburg.
  8. EOD3MC

Oddometer:
    Yep, figured out how to match my camera with it...
    works great unless you bash it with a branch and it now points way off to the left for the rest of the ride
    :shog
  9. duoderf

duoderf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Met at Bobs BMW at 8 am, and the lot was already pretty full.

[​IMG]

Some neat equipment here, a beemer with a winch?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

riding to the MX track. The group I went with took the back roads, and it was pretty fun, no other group commented that the ride down was fun

[​IMG]

riding into the MX track where they did the clinic

[​IMG]

bikes lined up ready to go. They split us up into 2 groups, group 1 and group A. This was actually more confusing than it sounds. This was one of the groups

[​IMG]
  10. duoderf

duoderf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. duoderf

duoderf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After the riding clinic a few of us went on a quick trail ride. About 1/2 mile in the guy on the GS1200 realized that his bike (with 90/10 street tires) wasnt gonna make it. The trail was basically a single track goat trail, 1-2 foot deep water filled ruts, and a ton of loose sugar sand.

[​IMG]

This is where the GS decided to turn around

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then there were the hills, this hill is a little worse than it looks, and by a little I mean I had a rough time walking the bike down it, sliding my back wheel the whole way, and breaking my left mirror off on the tree 1/2 way down it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the aftermath

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. duoderf

duoderf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    and now that I'm home and settled in showered and rested, its massive margarita time

[​IMG]
  13. EOD3MC

Oddometer:

Nice :beer
  14. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    It warms the cockles of my heart to know the the TTRUs are keeping tuned up!
  15. joints4sale

joints4sale No. Not "That Kind".

Oddometer:
    Bruce, I got these new TKC's on. Wanna try the loop on the 1200's?
  16. EOD3MC

Oddometer:
    And the spot where I folded the kickstand in half....
  17. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    Here we are lined up under the shade of some trees.

[​IMG]

The best bike this day is......
    The one with a gas mask, of course.
    It actually holds some wiring together near the instrument panel. He had to do this after his bike was stolen and the thieves tried to hotwire it.
    [​IMG]
    Owned by Reverend Chris. His exhaust guard is an old yield sign.

[​IMG]

He's going on the Trans-Lab tomorrow!
    His "ONE LESS FIXIE" sticker cracked me up!! :lol3
    He told me that he parks his bike near a bunch of fixies.
    Take that, hipsters!!
    [​IMG]

What is this giant bird in the sky? Some one in the park had to be medevaced out. :cry No one in the Rawhyde group, though.
    [​IMG]

Dave on the left, Reverend Chris in the middle, Duoderf on the right??
    [​IMG]

If Ronald McDonald rode a bike, he would wear this jacket.
    [​IMG]

BluWolf/mark looking the part. He bought a f800gs around the same time as me.
    [​IMG]

Here he is wondering if the kool-aid still tastes as good.
    [​IMG]

We also met overlandhank and radtrinidad (lea). They both rode a f800gs.
    Unfortunately I don't have a photo of them.
    They remember me from my Alaska trip report, so they're pretty awesome!

Overall, I had a great time. I also enjoyed meeting everyone.

Yet another experience to help me be a better rider. I'm going to practice some more and get some bar risers.

The Rawhyde school seems pretty nice to do. If you don't have an epic trip planned, check them out and join one of their classes or rides.
  18. EOD3MC

Oddometer:
    No Coconuts.....

But if you do let me know...I want to take pictures
  19. EOD3MC

Oddometer:
    Almost forgot....Lakota's daughter was there...she made the exercises look easy...must be genetic
  20. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    yes, i was hot!!
    everybody started putting on their pressure suits and jerseys and i was like wtf? :lol3

[​IMG]