Wisconsin OHM/DS Motorcyclists - Trail and Legislative Issues

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Cannonshot, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    When I brought up this issue the first time, it dead ended.

The USFS has signs that restrict motorcycles from some ATV trails in the forest. Those in the know understand that the ATV trails are for motorized 50" of less. Someone on the trail (including ATV riders) might mistakenly be misled because these signs say all but ATVs and snowmobiles are prohibited.

This time the forest superintendent said he would get motorcycle stickers for the signs to straighten things out. Looks like it will be up to us to locate all the offending signs and put the stickers up ourselves. No problem - I'm retired.

I also got the opportunity to explain the motorcycle and ATV trail NF rules to some area ATV club officers as a few were not quite clear on it.

So, for the Lakewood district (same district as Wabeno dual sport events), things are getting better for us.

[​IMG]
  2. Ajacks

Ajacks "Not in the face" Supporter

Oddometer:
    great news, call if you need help
  3. OU812

OU812 Legend in my own Mind!

Oddometer:
    Great work Bryan!
  4. Bob599

Bob599 Bob599

Oddometer:
    The land of Beer and Cheese (Hartland WI)
    Let me know if you need help putting up any stickers.
  5. scrubby81

scrubby81 Auto Builder

Oddometer:
    the same here if you would like some extra hands and wheels to help some weekend look me up I'm game
  6. biosci

biosci Tumbleweed54473

Oddometer:
    Retired, so most weekdays I could help. Usually not available on weekends.
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    There is an area near the old Northridge Mall (Milwaukee area) where people have been riding dirt bikes and ATVs for many, many years. I think it is county land. From time to time the wardens get calls to go out there to check on people riding illegally. The site seems to have a well developed trail system from years of use.

The wardens got in touch with the ATV association to see what interest there might be in developing the area as an official riding area. Long story short is that the DNR and some others are looking at the area to see what might be done. This is in the very preliminary stages and might never come about, but wouldn't it be great to have some designated riding space in the Milwaukee area?

Looking at the aerial imagery for the site, you can see a nice oval track is in place. The trails that run close to the Menominee River would have to be closed to establish proper standoff distance to meet water regulations.

Something to think about.

[​IMG]
  8. JeffPM

JeffPM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice. I didn't know about it. The main reason I don't have a dirt bike is because there is no convenient place close to Milwaukee to ride. Years and years ago (1978-79) there were a few trails on the southeast corner of 76th and County Line. The lot is still empty, but big signs about no motorized vehicles.
  9. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    Yep, no place to ride was a big part of why I didn't ride a dirtbike while I lived in Milwaukee.
  10. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
    There really isn't any place to ride a dirt bike short of heading way up north (or to a track). Something local would be cool. I imagine that whoever is currently riding there illegally would take exception to finally having to pay for access, but there would likely be sufficient interest to make a go of it.
  11. svflyer

svflyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I rode there a couple of times right after I got the KLR, still had the stock tires on and had never ridden on dirt so it was a bit of a handful as it was quite muddy. I also didn't want to get stuck on my new bike.

I know a guy who lives on the dead end of Joleno Ln that backs up to the property. He told me about it and claims to have ridden ATVs around there a bunch. If the consensus is that wardens will only check for registration I would probably try to ride there more as it's only 10 minutes from my house. I will throw on some gear and head over there tomorrow afternoon and do a little recon. The DRZ with Trakmasters and a couple of years of dirt riding under my belt should make it a little more fun than the last time.
  12. Go Irish75

Go Irish75 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SVFLYER, what did you find out on your recon mission? I dont live too far away from that area either, about 15 minutes or so. Would be fun to have a little playground close by. :freaky
  13. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind that I did not say this was a public riding area. What I said was that some people have historically ridden there and that now some people in government are considering whether it could become a public riding area.

Potentially, you could be charged with an offense for riding there.
  14. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    I had another meeting at the Capitol to square away our proposed off-highway motorcycle legislation. Now that the budget is passed we are back in the work cycle again.

It looks like we are nearly at the end. The next revision should be it.

I will prepare a summary of some key features of the bill as we get closer to the end so that people can understand the major provisions without trying to sort bunch of legalese across several statutes.

Our bill will be introduced with two other motorized bills (ATV, 4WD). We are not connected to those bills though.

What a long journey this has been. :D
  15. vwboomer

vwboomer Buffoon

Oddometer:
  16. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    Sounding good, Cannon!
  17. svflyer

svflyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry for my slacking on the recon.:ear I took some pics that I will put up soon but here's the gist of it.

Like I would guess is the case with most unofficial places people ride it seems to take a lot of abuse from 4x4 truck and jeep type vehicles. It has a lot of super deep rutted areas that are ground out and flooded to the point that they are impassable by bike. If you try to move to the left or the right of the main ruts there are just more foot deep ruts to contend with, not that much fun on two wheels. The areas that are wooded are pretty much solid mud and probably stay that way for a lot of the summer, mostly because of the proximity to the Little Menomonee River. I walk my dogs near that stream between Hampton and Capitol, a little south of the area Cannon outlined and it can be flooded some years for months at a time.

Overall, as it is, I would not say it is really even worth riding the six miles to get there from my house. I wish it was, it would be awesome to have something that close.:cry

I'll post some pics soon so folks have a better idea of what I'm talking about.
  18. Go Irish75

Go Irish75 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats too bad to hear. Thanks for the recon report.
  19. ffchick

ffchick FF = firefighter :)

Oddometer:
    That's too bad! We live in Pewaukee and wish there was a riding area closer than 2-1/2 hours away that's actually open. Thanks for the report!
  20. Claybuster

Claybuster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Public comment meeting on possible use plans for Sauk Prairie Rec area.

The public is invited to share their comments on the preliminary vision and goal statements and three draft conceptual alternatives prepared by Department of Natural Resources planners for future development and operation of the Sauk Prairie Recreation Area, formerly known as the Badger Army Ammunition Plant located between Baraboo and Sauk City.

A public open house is set for July 31 from 5 - 7:30 p.m. at the River Arts Center,105 Ninth St., Prairie du Sac.

The open house agenda is as follows:

5 to 6 p.m.: Open house where the public can ask questions and leave their comments

6 - 6:15 p.m.: A short presentation

6:15 - 7:30 p.m.: Resume open house

Written comments can also be submitted to Diane Brusoe, 101 S Webster St., Madison, WI 53709 or diane.brusoe@wisconsin.gov. The deadline for submitting comments is 4:30 p.m., Aug. 30, 2013.

Information that will be presented at the public meeting is available on the Sauk Prairie Recreation Area master planning webpage (dnr.wi.gov,search Sauk Prairie Recreation Area).

This early, extra, step in the master planning process blends together public comments, findings from a 2012 regional and property analysis, and key values from the 2001 Badger Reuse Plan. Ultimately, the state Natural Resources Board will be asked to adopt a master plan that will guide operation of the property over the next 15 years.

“The opportunity to transform Badger into a new 3,800-acre state recreation area adjacent Devil’s Lake State Park and the Wisconsin River is unique and has garnered widespread public interest in the possibilities,” said Mark Aquino, DNR south central region director. “Putting out this range of conceptual alternatives for public comment is an extra step in the master planning process, a step we’re taking to be sure everyone has multiple opportunities to share in the plan’s development.”

The draft conceptual alternatives have been organized into three groupings, one with an emphasis on ecological restoration, one with an emphasis on outdoor recreation and a third “no action” alternative required by state law.

Officials stress that the ecological and recreational groupings are not all or nothing choices and that the comments received will be factored into the next step in the process, writing of a draft master plan.

“Given the range of possibilities this property offers, the draft master plan will likely have a mix of elements taken from each of the conceptual alternatives,” said Diane Brusoe, the DNR planner who is coordinating drafting of the master plan.

“We will put the draft master plan out for public comment again before we present anything to the Natural Resources Board,” says Aquino, “and the board will hear comment directly before acting.”

Alternative 1: No action

The property will have limited public access for the nature based outdoor activities of hunting, trapping, fishing, hiking and cross country skiing. Public access to cemeteries on the property will be maintained. No additional funding will be spent on restoration or property development. Any structures or debris left on the property at the time of the land transfer will remain. The department will restrict access if there are any public safety concerns.

Alternative 2: Ecological restoration emphasis

Under this management alternative, the primary emphasis is on restoration work of the grassland ecosystem. A variety of management tools will be used to maintain grassland and savanna. No development is proposed, and access will be limited to pedestrian use. Most remaining infrastructure, buildings and debris would be removed. Visitors would enjoy a perceived remoteness and quiet. Recreation opportunities will be limited to the nature based outdoor activities of hunting, fishing, trapping, hiking and cross country skiing. There would be limited vehicle access and no permanent DNR staff stationed at the location, interaction with DNR staff would be limited. Volunteers would promote community participation in educational activities.

Alternative 3: Outdoor recreation emphasis

Under this management alternative, the primary purpose is getting users onto the property. Visitors would be offered a variety of outdoor recreational experiences while providing interpretive and educational opportunities related to the property’s history and restoration efforts. The visitor experience will include a higher level of development and accessibility. Opportunities for the nature based outdoor activities of hunting, fishing, trapping, hiking and cross country skiing will be provided as well as opportunities for biking, horseback riding, motorized use and a shooting range, picnic areas, viewing areas and a fishing pier. This alternative also projects selectively siting and constructing (through community partnerships) a new visitor center with interpretation and education opportunities; the center could also serve as a trailhead facility near the railroad corridor, which will serve as a designated recreation corridor in the future. Areas of grassland and shrub land compatible with low-impact recreation trails would be restored.

“As you can see, there is huge potential for this property as the Sauk Prairie Recreation Area and the property is capable of supporting multiple uses,” said Ryder Will. Will is the maintenance and satellite properties supervisor for Devil’s Lake State Park. He will take a more active role as the SPRA property manager when the gates open. “Finding the right blend of development and opportunity is important to us and we want to be sure everyone has a chance to weigh-in as we move forward. I hope to see folks at the open house or that they can find time to send us their comments if they can’t make it.”

-