DR650 Shock Rebuild

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by P-nut, Jan 14, 2008.

1. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Cogent.
  2. Paddle007

Paddle007 Gun Toting Vegetarian. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I finally had a decent ride today. I expected our gravel roads to be a wash but found them perfect. Not muddy just wet enough to stick it. Last week I finished off my 2008 YZF450 fork install. Couldn't wait to run the new suspension. There are a couple of berms that we use for a guage. It was either going to be good or bad feedback. Once I smacked that first berm I realized how badly I messed up. I have been trying to keep the right wrist action down in the interest of public safety and my well being. My DR flew like it had fooking wings. I've never stuck a landing that smoothly. Pray for me people:wings
  3. OsoADV

OsoADV Oso

Oddometer:
    Anybody need a stock shock to send off for rebuild? I have an extra. PM me.
  4. NC Rick

NC Rick Cogent Dynamics Inc

Oddometer:
    The present batch of 14 shocks is back here with the ceramic coating. It has been busy and we keep using up all the parts we make... I expect all the shocks that are here in our shop to be done before next week is out. We are waiting on another batch of seal heads but they were shipped to us today.

Take a look at a new option for upgrading DR shocks from Cogent:

[​IMG]

We only made up a small batch of these spring preload adjusters but anyone who wants one can add it to the shock work for $28 (includes wrench). Thats an intro price...

Thanks a zillion!
  5. ram1000

ram1000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a better shock will not solve your problems. I put a 450 RMZ fork assembly on mine and sent my shock off the Cogent. Rick not only rebuilt everything but added travel internally on the shock and added external eye to eye length to get the rear end up higher than would have been able with the stock eye to eye length. This combined with sliding the forks up into the triple clamps gave me the dirt bike turning geometry you need instead of having the chopper turning of a stock rear height shock. In order to get the longer shock to work I also had to grind the cast aluminum link where it would have touched the frame cross member at full extension of the shock. My bike now has something like 11+- inches in the rear and 12 in the front with a seat height of 36.5 inches when my springs are set to optimum sag. The bike is amazing over whoops for a 375lb. bike.

In this picture you can see the increased angle of the swing arm:
    [​IMG]
  6. 40cu.in.of.furey

40cu.in.of.furey Something clever

Oddometer:
    when is the next group buy?
  7. Fabone

Fabone Adventurer

Oddometer:

Got off the phone with Joyce this morning. Rick is taking in orders now and so far he's got 6 for a run around the 27th. Next run looks like late fall or early winter.
  8. wee-twin

wee-twin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am interested in getting in on the next group buy. I have never done the group buy thing so how do I ensure I do not miss this? Thanks.

Bill
  9. GaThumper

GaThumper Road Less Traveled

Oddometer:
    Thumpin' in North GA - headin' for the Smokys
    Based on Fabone's post it looks like one is going down right now, with another one coming up this fall.

Just give Rick and Joyce a call at Cogent and let them know you want to get in on the group buy.

(828) 628-9025.
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width=40></TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    http://www.motocd.com/cd/
  10. wee-twin

wee-twin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I will give them a call.
  11. Tex83

Tex83 Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer:
    Subscribed, im in on the next group buy too. Guess this gives me a few months to really tear up the stocker :clap
  12. thump!

thump! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I dropped my shock off at the Cogent Dynamics shop today. Joyce says they now have a "group" of 3. They need at least 3 more to send the lot of shock bodies off to the ceramic coater. If you've been considering this, NOW is the time.The group buy saves you about $100 on the ceramic coating. That means less friction and longer, much longer, life.

Contact them at:
    Cogent Dynamics
    http://www.motocd.com/cd/
    828-628-9025
  13. VooDooDaddy

VooDooDaddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be calling them on Wednesday (12/26/2012) to see if we are still on for the 'group' buy? It's been two months since anyone has posted?
  14. wizdum

wizdum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap Although I have not contacted them yet, I am pulling my shock off in a couple days to send to them as well.
  15. rpet

rpet Awesometown

Oddometer:
    I got a PM from Rick a couple days ago. Looks like the deadline for next group buy is sometime next week. I'm sure he'll post up again this week.
  16. ! Danimal !

! Danimal ! --Dan--

Oddometer:
    I'm in!!!! I need to call him yet too.
  17. TooTallRacing

TooTallRacing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Calling Today.
  18. ! Danimal !

! Danimal ! --Dan--

Oddometer:
    Emailed today ...:evil
  19. wizdum

wizdum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shock removed and email sent.
    Got a reponse just now.
    Removing the spring now and boxing her up.
    :D
  20. ! Danimal !

! Danimal ! --Dan--

Oddometer:
    Sent...now pacing for weeks waiting for it to come back....and till spring to ride it :ricky

Oh and for anyone who cares...I'm getting mine set up in the lowered position....so after I get it and ride it feel free to PM me and I'll tell you what I think. Don't recall a seeing lowered review before...but I've only read 10,000 post or so.....