KTM LC8 Exhaust and Auxillary Tank

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by neduro, Jan 20, 2008.

1. GoNOW

GoNOW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Always looking for more fuel and/or water storage. Maybe make the tank out of aluminum? It would cost more for each tank, but it would have no mold cost. Just need to make a cardboard template then take that down to a metal works guy. I know a guy who can do it, depending on the complexity. Stainless would be cool.
  2. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll post the actual data when I figure out how to open it, I finally got the dealership to mail the runs to me but they are in a format I'm not familiar with. I've got a couple leads on opening them, will do so as soon as I can and get them here.

HP #'s were in the mid 80's. It's not clear what correction (if any) they were running for altitude, but I think it's safe to say that their dyno reads big horses and fewer of them.
  3. GSteve

GSteve Long timer

Oddometer:
    Definetly interested in smoother power, less weight and more fuel. Standing by. :lurk
  4. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds right. My bike on a Dynojet at Reno(4600' el.) started at 77hp. Got her up to 89 so far. Here's my average dyno crap.
    CF:SAE Smoothing :5
    temp 72-73, 25.6-25.7 in.Hg, Humidity 26-30%, SAE: 1.17
  5. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've (briefly) ridden Ned's bike with the 2-into-1 setup, and I'd say you would be hard pressed to tell the difference hp and torque wise. The real reason to go this way is for weight savings and for more space for an aux. fuel tank, IMHO. It looks really trick, too. :D
  6. rigger

rigger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    any more info on this? would like to see the side tank.
  7. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The auxillary tank availability would be the key for me to make this upgrade. Any word on the tank :ricky
  8. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few updates:

1) Pyndon was in town, looked at my tank, and said "we can do better". We've got a new concept for shape that I'm working on, as soon as I get a reasonably good prototype together I'll post pics. Wings loaned me her 990, so I've got the chance to work on it side by side with the SE- the tank will be designed to work on both bikes. It carries the weight much further forward and lower than the first attempt, and looks much more like the rear tanks of a rally bike, rather than the up high and far back first draft.

I can't commit to a timeline for the tank yet. I'm closing in on the shape right now. The next step will be to get it accurately drawn, including all the mounting brackets and so on, and then I can work on production. Best case scenario is about 2 months... but don't hold me to that... :deal.

2) We have found a source for single Remus exhausts, so it will be possible to buy the 2->1 with or without a can. Pricing is tbd, but it will be much(!) cheaper to buy our 2 -> 1 and a single can, rather than just the cans for the 2 into 2 system.

3) The ADV collector pipe is different from the SE. Since I started with the SE, that'll be available first. I should have the first piece to test and approve in the next couple of weeks, as soon as I do I'll post pictures. The ADV piece will follow.

I'll start taking orders for the SE piece as soon as I've tested the production part, since by then I'll have a pretty solid timeline. There will be a discount for pre-orders.

Thanks for the interest!
  9. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great news, let me know when your ready to take deposits.
  10. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    Do you think the Adv extra tank will keep similar lines to the stock rear panel or would it portrude under the existing lines? Most of the volume needed, I would think, would be obtained from removing the can.

I'm interested but am currently broke :huh
  11. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    If you have a price range you think these may fall in, please post it. I may be interested in getting on the list for the 2 into 1 header for the ADV bike, if you need a tester let me know.:wink:

Keep up the great work.:thumb
    Can't wait to see some more pics of the progress.
  12. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:

:eek1 Holy *&%# Ned. I think that we all could learn a thing or two from this.
  13. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Regarding pricing:

The 2 into 1 for either the SE or Adventure will be between $200 and $250, depending on where the final price from the vendor comes in. The SE will be available first, the adventure will follow fairly quickly.

I'd love to be on the bottom of that range, but the Jet-Hot coating is really pricey stuff, coating a pipe costs almost as much as making it. I could have them chromed (like stock) for much less, but by all reports, the chrome is just not very durable and the last thing I want is for people to have trouble 2 years down the road.

If anyone wants one in plain steel, I can do that as well for a substantial discount. You're on your own for corrosion, though.

If the buyer wants a Remus Titanium exhaust, including the removable spark arrestor, the cost will be $450 more than the 2 into 1 without an exhaust. These are really nice exhausts, much preferable to the FMFs in terms of quality and durability. Normal cost on these systems is $900, and we lucked into getting them to sell us half a system.

I'm still hashing out how to take orders, I'll make an announcement here with details as soon as I have a final price and how to order. I'll also get up a good dyno chart at the same time, getting the files converted had sort of fallen off my radar screen with so many other irons in the fire.

I've been hard at work on the tank, it has changed shape substantially since my last photo here, but I'm going to hold off on pictures until I'm comfortable that I've arrived at the right design. In any case, it will definitely work on both the Adventure and SE, and will look really good on both as well, it's amazing how similar the lines turn out to be.

Thanks for your interest!

More to follow... :deal
  14. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    The tank is taking shape- here are some screenshots. It is designed for both the ADV and the SE.

This is taken from the inside (tire side) as it was the easiest perspective to label everything from.
    [​IMG]

Here it is from the outside:
    [​IMG]

We used a translucent material in the model (as we will on the production version), so the backside contours show through. The outside of the tank is essentially flat.

Taken from the front/ inside:
    [​IMG]

Rear/ outside:
    [​IMG]

The usable volume will be over 2 gallons, with the weight concentrated absolutely as far forward and down low as possible, both for mass centralization and to minimize the load on the subframe.

Material will be cross-link polymer- super strong. I intend to have them made in natural so that you can easily see your fuel level, but it should be possible to make a black or colored version if enough people wanted it.

There will be 3 mount points: the exhaust hanger, the subframe where the distributor pipe used to mount, and the passenger peg.

The upper 2 mounts will take the weight, and are both rubber mounted on the bike side, key for long life in tough environments. The passenger peg mount is for stability, to keep the tank from swinging in on a big hit. The pass peg mount will bolt to the back of the peg on the ADV, we still have to figure out exactly how it will work on the SE (the passenger pegs on the SE don't have a mount point). In addition, we'll have an optional bracket for SE owners that didn't get passenger pegs.

The lower edge of the tank is parallel with the swingarm at full compression, and there is lots of clearance between the tire and tank, and the chain and tank. I had a baja designs tank on my 525, and wasn't anxious to repeat those issues.

The tank will work with the stock KTM racks on an Adventure, as well as with Caribou case racks. It should also work with SW motech quick release racks although I haven't had a bike with those on which to verify. It will not work, sadly, with Jesse luggage, as the Jesse bags turn in beneath the pipe and take up the same real estate as the tank.

There are still too many vendors involved to commit to a timeline yet, but I hope early summer. Final pricing is tbd, but our target is below $400 (including the tank and all hardware, but not a 2 into 1).

The "we" in question is Kurt from Black Dog Cycle Works. I've gotten to know Kurt through Baja and his work on the Black Dog skidplates, and we've been working on this together from the start. All sales of this stuff will go through his shop, which will provide great customer service as he does with all his products.

For anyone that wants to preorder, we will be offering a significant discount, but we're waiting until we have our ducks in a row and a timeline we can commit to before we take any $$.

Now, 2 into 1's: :baldy The vendor has been much slower than promised, but at last we are making progress. I should have the SE first article this week, which I'll dyno together with the Remus pipe and then we'll make those available. For those of you who have PM'd, I'll get back to you as soon as we have a committed timeline.

We'll also be dynoing a 950/990 adventure prototype this week, and get those into production as well. Complete Dyno charts will be up here...

:ricky
  15. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    wow, nice work Ned.

interest piqued. :lurk
  16. ganshert

ganshert not sleeping

Oddometer:
    :thumb

:lurk
  17. BDKW1

BDKW1 KL"X" not "R"

Oddometer:
  18. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I couldn't find a reasonably priced stainless vendor, so I decided against that route (price was about 4-5x).

They won't be chromed, they will be Jet-hot coated, which should be durable and easy to clean. I hope. :deal
  19. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Ready and waiting to preorder when given the word....

BTW I got a set of the SWMotech quick release racks I can send out to you to test fit if you want. I got no bags now so they are just sitting in the garage....
  20. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will be interested to see if it will work with the KTM soft luggage racks for the SE....:ear