Making of the "Oklahoma Adventure Trail"

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by OKlr, Oct 25, 2012.

1. OKlr

OKlr 25mph gate inpector

Oddometer:
    i like the idea of the regular oat with as much as posible, then option routes to other interesting things. I will I have kinda done that with a few waypoints to show interesting things nearby the route, but not actualy on the route. I was looking at a website the other day that had pictures of really old and interesting bridges in oklahoma, but i wasn't going to do a reroute just to include them. Maybe i should just add a waypoint for something interesting and if you want to check it out you can head over there.
  2. airdale7

airdale7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We both wishing for Mr S. Claus to bring a good GPS. I've been trying to use Google Maps and Earth to show some scenic routes and just cant figure it out. Maybe some good sale after Christmas will bring us luck.

Meanwhile, have you came up with a good day off excuse for the LROTY? The weather is not looking so great but that just makes it an adventure. :lol3
  3. kiltedcrawford

kiltedcrawford Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know how other state's "trails" are routed, but this seems like the best way to do it. You just can't include every cool thing on one route, I think.

This way there would be optional routes for old bridges, frogs, dead circus elephants and the Panhandle. It's a win-win.
  4. OKlr

OKlr 25mph gate inpector

Oddometer:
    OMG don't even joke about removing the poor little frog from the ride. Kermit is the mascot........................of something.
  5. kiltedcrawford

Oddometer:
    Haha, I guess I accidentally lumped the frog in with the optional stuff. That was purely an oversight; I would NEVER suggest removing Kermit.
  6. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Ok, now you guys are giving me a complex :huh, froggy is actually a little ways down a dead end road, or at best a short loop. I rode right past his road (he does have his very own road, Frog Road!) when I was riding that section of the OAT. :cry

I have visited him a couple if times in the past though. :D:D:D

Forgive me. :bueller

7. OKlr

OKlr 25mph gate inpector

Oddometer:
    Well i'm moved. And christmas presents from the family added to my to do list: ims shifter, tire irons, offroad pegs, exhaust endcap! I'm not fully up and running yet, since the bike is stuck in the garage behind boxes. I will be hitting this trail hard this spring.
  8. airdale7

Oddometer:
    Well happy new year. I forget where you say you moved too but somewhere near the Kansas border.

Hey y'all. A friend says these KLR have Califon emmission and if some little hole were drilled out a fraction it gets more air and so there is less need to choke it.
    Any comments? :huh
  9. kiltedcrawford

Oddometer:
    Well, with the way the weather's been you haven't missed much.
    I'm ready to hit some of the new trail/trail I missed as well, and will have to talk Cropear into tackling the crossing at Granite with me.
  10. OKlr

OKlr 25mph gate inpector

Oddometer:
    Moved to Ponca City.

I have done the .22 cent mod on my carb and it helped a bit with throttle response. It requires drilling out the vent hole in the slide just a shade larger, and adding a washer under the needle. Pretty simple stuff if you know how to remove the carb.
  11. cropear

cropear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well that is good to hear about the .22 cent mod. I just did the 320 dollar mod of having to replace my battery, put on a new rear tire and fix the oil sensor that was in the process of having a catastrophic failure during the process of the making of the OAT. Luckily the way the BMW is built, as your oil sensor leaks it out you can pour it in the top. At least that is what I was thinking i was going to have to do.
  12. airdale7

Oddometer:
    Have any of you used a cell phone app for GPS tracking. I see there are several available but they seem to be for tracking family and social networks.
  13. OKlr

OKlr 25mph gate inpector

Oddometer:
    i've used gps kit free on the iphone. It works pretty good, but anything that uses the gps on the iphone is going to eat battery. I bought a dedicated garmin etrex to record tracks, but havn't quite figured out how to make it do what i want.
  14. kiltedcrawford

Oddometer:
    I'm damn near a Luddite when it comes to technology, but I've got MotionX gps on my iPhone.
    I've used it to record tracks, and Cropear loaded the OAT gpx file on it when we were on the Trail. I like it and can manage it, but don't understand half of what it can do. I do know you can track via satellite, so even if you're in BFE and not getting cell service your track is still recorded.

Like OKlr said, it does eat battery. Quickly.

I'll probably buy a dedicated gps unit at some point, but if you've got a way to charge while riding it certainly works fine, and is either free or a dollar or two.
  15. airdale7

Oddometer:
    That's exactly the price I wanted to pay :lol3
  16. airdale7

Oddometer:
    I downloaded the MotionX Drive but could figure out how to get it to track, so then I downloaded the MotionX GPS and it works great. I recorded a track, emailed it to myself, downloaded the KMZ file to my computer and opened it with Google Earth. All was relitively simple.

Weather forecast is 55 and sunny tomorrow.

Anyone want to ride the Adair and Cherokee county tracks of the OAT tomorrow? Start at maybe 9am?
  17. kiltedcrawford

Oddometer:
    I think this is the first technology tip I've ever given. Glad it worked.
  18. airdale7

Oddometer:
    Had to get this posted immeadiatly.

Rode to the 4 way intersection just north of Elohim City, stopped and did a check in ok on the SPOT and then turned north toward Workman's Mountain. About 100 feet I came across this. Unscathed, must be a few hours ago at most.

:eek1

[​IMG]
  19. FatBob

FatBob Don't want a pickle Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, proof that they do not always shit in the woods :lol3
  20. airdale7

Oddometer:
    :rofl