Maine Riders

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by PWRCRZR, Oct 17, 2008.

1. dirthauler

dirthauler rolling rototiller

Oddometer:
    Pittstone, ya it's a Flintstones refference
    went back over to the cc to drop the kiddo off to swing her girls scout cookies and brought the cam to snap a couple of that gas gas
    [​IMG]
    it's got the desireable forks
    [​IMG]
    and rear shock
    [​IMG]
    and rims
    [​IMG]
    nice frame protection, and like the clear fuel tank too
    [​IMG]
    was told that an additional $500 gets it plated
    [​IMG]
  2. MsLizVt

MsLizVt pfft ...

Oddometer:
    Well the 1964 Falcon Sprint was special, it was a two door, a bigger body style than the 1963, and closely tied to the soon to come out Mustang. By today's standards very rudimentary, but incredibly solid. When it came to me - as mentioned, 30 years old - the body was solid, no rust or bondo, some things had been upgraded, but some were original like the transmission, wiring was suspect too.

After having the car here in Vermont for a month or two we decided to go through it front to rear as best as possible. Four about four months that's what we did. Found and fixed a lot of issues. Our first shake out rally was going to be STPR, Susquehanna Trail Pro Rally based in Wellsboro, Pennsylvania.

If anyone has ever been to Wellsboro or to STPR you might remember there is a very nice green right in the middle of town. All the rally cars are in Park Ferme' on the green, for a couple of hours, before the start of the rally. It's really great because all the locals come out to look around, checking out the cars, talking to the drivers and such. The Falcon was a hit! I swear one old guy came up, leaned into me, and quietly said, "First time I got laid was in the back seat of dad's Falcon just like that one ..." Me blushing a bit I said "Wow! Really ..." He replied "Yep married her." Sure enough there was a woman about his age standing next to him giving him the 'look'. No wonder he was whispering.

More story ?

[​IMG]
  3. Tslapper

Tslapper #!/usr/bin/perl -wT -I.

Oddometer:

That thing is sweet! :tb
  4. dirthauler

Oddometer:
    did i mention 220 lbs+/- and low 50's in the hp dept? or that it comes with vforce3 reeds and an fmf qforce silencer, stock?
  5. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Sure. But let's remember it's a family show. Now sure far into it the old dood went...

:lol3
  6. EvilClown

EvilClown Standing by to standby for a possible disregard Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    That thing must scream!

Front end looks a little spindly, though.:lol3
  7. Black Fly

Black Fly Opposed Twin

Oddometer:

What fun to read this stuff. I had a HI-Perf 289 that i built out of my '67 stang fastback. A similar config (with only one 650 Holley) and a lumpy cam. Blued and balanced. Yeow!

BFF
  8. dirthauler

Oddometer:
    50 mm marzocchi tubes in a forged aluminum tripple, this is the same bike that that guy was riding in that vid i posted last night with the helmet cam at the erzberg rodeo only this is an 11 and his was an 09
  9. Black Fly

Black Fly Opposed Twin

Oddometer:

Nope, unless you want to delay it to tomorrow night...

BFF :freaky
  10. MsLizVt

MsLizVt pfft ...

Oddometer:
    STPR is a finishers rally. That means at the end of the night - it used to finish at around 3am Sunday morning - the winners of the various classes were not necessarily the fastest cars, but the ones that lasted. If you talk to drivers and spectators they will tell you the roads are fantastic, they are. The routes meander up and down along the Susquehannock River Valley, through state parks, and old mining properties. Most of the stages are filled with descent straight aways, followed by hairpin turns going up or down the side of the mountain. Some of the stages snake along the edge of the water, with very short straights, many bridge crossings, and lots of blind turns over crests.

All that sounds like ideal rally roads. But here's the gotcha part. The state grades their roads, which are barely two car widths, with a six to twelve inch crown in the middle, and two to three foot ditch on the outside of the road. Even in the corners there's a crown in the middle of the road. At speed, if you're ditch hooking your front tire on the inside of the turn, you're fine. But if you've got to come out of that low and inside position for any reason, you're instantly changing your angle of attack and the back end of your car is going over that crown. LOOK OUT!

Through out the rally, you'll see cars with broken front ends or dragging in with a lost rear corner of suspension. Slow and steady wins this rally. The organizers consider the rally a success if over half the entrants finish. That doesn't happen too often, actually.

Did I mention the finish line of the first stage is half way across a river that can be a foot to two feet deep?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. The Raven

The Raven Banned

Oddometer:
    keep her coming Liz....you knowI love it. To be on a team is a dream I have.
  12. MsLizVt

MsLizVt pfft ...

Oddometer:
    I'm really sorry for the size of that photo. I can take it out if you want, but I don't know how to make it smaller. Just found it on the net.
  13. internalcombust

internalcombust What a blast!

Oddometer:
    ^ More story please.

I am the king of tops today.
  14. Black Fly

Black Fly Opposed Twin

Oddometer:
    Good stuff, Liz.

F
  15. internalcombust

Oddometer:
    Fred, what is your avatar?
  16. Tslapper

Oddometer:

Looks like a tail light.
  17. internalcombust

Oddometer:
    Or an easy button.
  18. loph917

loph917 Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
    i believe that the avatar is Hal 9000.
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7qnd-hdmgfk" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="480"></iframe>
  19. Tslapper

Oddometer:

Yeah... maybe so.
  20. dirthauler

Oddometer:
    friggin right! first i saw it, that bit where hal sings "daisy" played in my head