Radio control nuts

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by RC Pilot, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Thinc2

Thinc2 Paciugo

Oddometer:
    Are you saying that was done with the little keychain camera - that's the same 808 that sells for less than $15 on Amazon?
  2. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    Probably not....he specified the #16 808 cam. Find that on ebay....~$50
  3. scootertrash

scootertrash Mobile Homie

Oddometer:
    Bought my friends Blade mcpx and JR 11x radio. I kept his upgraded mcpx as my new backup and was free to move the electronics from my original heli to a brushless Microheli carbon frame.
    It was a fairly easy swap, now I'm working on getting the 11x programmed. So right now, I'm using the cheap RTF radio.

Backup heli with aluminum rotor head

[​IMG]

Upgraded heli with brushless main motor, Microflight canopy and Microheli carbon fiber frame.

[​IMG]

JR 11X radio

[​IMG]
  4. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:
    nice ! What motor on the MXPX?

I had one with an HP06V2 on it, and one with a TA915 on it.. Pretty much the biggest motors you can fit. For tail used the SR120 tail motor. Thing was a ROCKET. My new MCPX BL is weak compared to it!

They are very fun though. Good to learn on since you don't have the fear of balling up a $1k heli... That's why I sold my Logo 400 - every crash was a minimum of $80, but usually closer to $150+.
  5. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    Heaters Slash to Rustler Conversion (Or there is too much flying talk in here! :D )

Now why would someone want to convert a Slash to a Rustler? I have several reasons for wanting to do this but the 2 main ones are: Lower center of gravity and I've never owned a Stadium truck before but always wanted to.
    [​IMG] Starting out with a bone stock 2wd Slash. First thing to go was the stock brushed system and in goes the VXL motor and esc. I had these left over from a Slash 4x4 and to be honest I think this motor is much better suited to 2wd than 4wd.

Ran a few packs through it and decided, Yup, I still want to do the conversion. 2 orders from Tower Hobbies later and time to tear things apart!

[​IMG]

Front end comes off the Slash. New RPM Wide bumper. Constantly amazed at how easy Traxxas makes things easy to work on.

[​IMG]

Steering servo mounted. And yes I found out later that the Slash steering rod you see here is too long.

[​IMG]

Front end, Steering bellcrank, all transferred over. New JConcepts GLocks were used for tires. I run about 80% pavement so I thought that would be a good compromise.

[​IMG]

Still using the original Slash arms. May go to the wider Rustler or Jato arms later if it seems necessary.

[​IMG]

Transmission and rear assembly comes off the Slash. Couldn't get the install on the new Rustler chassis to go quite right because of the long screws on the upper control arm mount. Loosened the shock tower and took the body mounts off and everything lined up perfect.

[​IMG]

Shock tower back on and everything buttoned up.

[​IMG]

Starting to look like a Rustler!

Now at this point I realized that I had missed several parts in my first order.

I'll try to list all the parts needed to do this conversion if anyone is stupid enough to do it.

81162 RPM Front Bumper
    3723A Upper Chassis
    3722A Lower Chassis
    1914 Body Mount
    2537 28mm Rod
    2742 Rod Ends
    2552 Screws 1pk
    2542 Screws 1pk
    3727A Battery Strap
    3725 ESC Mount
    3628 Receiver Box
    Tires of your choice.

<table class="pbH"><tbody><tr><td>
    </td><td class="pbTh">
    </td></tr></tbody></table> Additional parts
    Proline Desert Rat body
    ST3632R STRC Aluminum Caster Blocks (optional)
    ST2267R STRC Aluminum Shock Caps (optional)

Going to hit the LHS within the next couple of days to see if they have any of the parts I forgot. Will order the rest online and then finish this conversion.

Very excited to finally be a stadium truck owner after 26 years in the hobby. (Dang has it been that long?)
  6. RC Pilot

RC Pilot I am not anti social. I am selectively social! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice
  7. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    I've updated the multirotor/quad thread if anyone is still following :D
  8. RC Pilot

RC Pilot I am not anti social. I am selectively social! Supporter

Oddometer:
    link to thread please.
  9. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
  10. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:
    Some video from my lunch break today - surfing the wind with my UMX Sbach :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SqM2dGd6wNY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  11. biggziff

Oddometer:
    Nice...I like the crunchy noises of foam on pavement. LOL

12. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The wind was finally calm enough to do some flying last night. Flew a few old planes to knock the rust off, PZ albatros, Alfa P-39, then flew the two 800mm FMS planes, one the zero I have flown a few times and had still been working on it....it was way to pitchy. Tuned things down a bit and decided to give the P40 its maden...what a SWEET flying little plane. Not sure if it was the adjustments I made to the radio (made them for both planes) or just a different plane, but it flew just as sweet and nice as you could want...makes me wish I had one more battery to try in the zero.

So far I am pretty happy with the series, For an under $90 plane they are darn nice flyers.
  13. biggziff

Oddometer:
    Got links for these little planes?

I'm sorely tempted to buy one of those little Sbachs...I may have to unsubscribe from this thread... :)
  14. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:
    If you listen to only one thing I tell you - let it be the fact that you *need* a UMX Sbach. Best micro EVER.
  15. biggziff

Oddometer:
    The voices in my head agree with you...but they agree with anyone who wants me to buy more toys so.....
  16. bracky72

bracky72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm really enjoying my umx stryker. It ships with the control rods set to the most extreme position in the horns. Wow is it twitchy and responsive even at a high expo setting and 1/2 rate. But boy is it fun. :D
  17. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. biggziff

Oddometer:
  19. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Both the P40 and Sky Raider fly so sweet....hopefully the weather will be good and I can test the Zero with the new radio settings.

They also look real good in the air.
  20. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer: